Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When driving home, I drove through a large puddle, which Is what i believe knocked the serpentine belt off. Upon finding out the serp belt was off, I got it back on. But now whenever I start the vehicle, the belt slides off the tensioner. Please help.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
If it's completely dry and it's still doing it, replacing the belt and the tensioner is probably your next best move.

But first give a day or two to let it completely dry, perhaps using a hair dryer to accelerate the process

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,313 Posts
Tensioner should be replaced every time the belts are replaced. Typically that's every 105k or so

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
277 Posts
something is out of alignment or you didn't get the belt in all the grooves correctly. these tensioners tend to jump around as they age which could possibly cause the belt to jump but I've never seen anything like that. maybe a bearing failed ?
spin everything?

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Milage? Any work been done recently? Has the belt and tensioner ever been replaced? Does your vehicle still have its plastic guard that helps protect the engine?

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
Could be tensioner hydraulics - it's pretty stiff when it works properly and takes substantial effort to compress. Have you checked to make sure it compresses smoothly? Have you bled it of air? See service manual for exact procedures.

No way it should come off just because you hit a puddle.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
Tensioner should be replaced every time the belts are replaced. Typically that's every 105k or so
Why would you waste money on something like this?
Honda's auto-tensioner should only be replaced when it no longer works properly. Either the bearings are noisy or the hydraulic piston fails. You'll get plenty of warning signs from it before you really need to do something about it - noise, belt slipping (issues with power steering and alternator), etc.

PS: Mine is 190K miles and still fine (knock on wood).

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Honda's auto-tensioner should only be replaced when it no longer works properly. Either the bearings are noisy or the hydraulic piston fails. You'll get plenty of warning signs from it before you really need to do something about it - noise, belt slipping (issues with power steering and alternator), etc.

I got 180k on an OE tensioner before. Replaced because the bearings were not smooth and quiet anymore.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
I got 180k on an OE tensioner before. Replaced because the bearings were not smooth and quiet anymore.
That's what I'm saying.
Mine is just becoming a bit noisy now when cold and I can see an insignificant amount of wobble, and I'm still deciding on how much that really bothers me and whether I want to put one in at this time. Gotta reseal the rear bank valve cover, and will probably give in to the temptation and do it then just because I'll need to pull the drive belt for it anyway. Having said that, I've got just another 30K miles to go until I have to do the timing belt, so, maybe even kick it down the road some more.
Was going to go with OE Honda one, but heard that INA is exactly the same plain-box version of what HONDA sells you.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,313 Posts

Simple. Experience taught me that the tensioner gets weaker as the miles rise.
Shortly before my first TB replacement, there were some hellacious rain storms and the belt slipped as water got splashed on it.
You remove the Accessory belt every time you replace the TB, water pump etc. Its only another bolt to replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone. The problem seems to be the tensioner is out of alignment
Could be tensioner hydraulics - it's pretty stiff when it works properly and takes substantial effort to compress. Have you checked to make sure it compresses smoothly? Have you bled it of air? See service manual for exact procedures.

No way it should come off just because you hit a puddle.
how do you bleed the tensioner? I did a quick web search and didnt find much on that....

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
IIRC, you don't/cant bleed a tensioner?

How did it get out of alignment? Is it worn that muck?

Are you replacing it? And the S belt if it's been more the 80K miles on it, or too many years?

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
Replace both, the tensioner and the belt, and get peace of mind. Make sure all your bolts are present and accounted for, aligned, and torqued to spec.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Replace both, the tensioner and the belt, and get peace of mind. Make sure all your bolts are present and accounted for, aligned, and torqued to spec.
What brand tensioner kit? 🤔

·
Registered
10,193 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
how do you bleed the tensioner? I did a quick web search and didnt find much on that....
Stop doing "quick web" searches and download a full-blown service manual for your vehicle. There's a sticky in the Technical forum for your 03-08 Pilot. It will have all the procedures, torque values, troubleshooting, you name it. Best thing is - it's free because some good soul corsair has already snatched it and made available in the public domain.

Anyone doing any DIY on their car needs to have a copy of that vehicle's service manual at hand. Saves you a lot of grief and money.

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
Stop doing "quick web" searches and download a full-blown service manual for your vehicle. There's a sticky in the Technical forum for your 03-08 Pilot. It will have all the procedures, torque values, troubleshooting, you name it. Best thing is - it's free because some good soul corsair has already snatched it and made available in the public domain.

Anyone doing any DIY on their car needs to have a copy of that vehicle's service manual at hand. Saves you a lot of grief and money.
Get it here:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts