Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been reading on this forum recently and I'm impressed by the longevity of the Honda Pilots. My wife and I are currently considering a 07 Honda pilot ex at a dealership in the Midwest. The Pilot only has one owner, and has all the service records from the first day they bought it. It has 185,000 miles, a new power steering pump, and a new timing belt at 150k. The car is clean (immaculate inside and out. The bad is I called the Honda Dealership where all the maintenance was done and it needs a high pressure line, trailer arm bushings, a valve adjustment, and oil pan gasket. The dealership priced the car at about $5500. I would like your thoughts and opinions on this deal. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

We think the dealership should go down on the price. They refuse to fix the high pressure line which I caught leaking on the test drive.

·
Registered
208 Posts
High pressure line is very tedious to change. $120 in just parts.
valve adjustment will be $500 or more. It’s labor intensive.
oil pan gasket the same.

A car with this many miles is going to start breaking down a lot. If you have no record of engine mounts then add in a thousand for those. All of the seals have dried up at this mileage and age and you can expect leaks, the need for Catalytic converters and other expensive items.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,193 Posts
oil pan gasket the same.

A car with this many miles is going to start breaking down a lot. If you have no record of engine mounts then add in a thousand for those. All of the seals have dried up at this mileage and age and you can expect leaks, the need for Catalytic converters and other expensive items.
Ohhhh, don't say this, now you gort me worried LOL

I'm driving our 08 W 187K miles on it. It may not be perfect, but it runs well. No leaks, major ones anyways.

And WTH is a 'high pressure line'? On the tranny?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,047 Posts
I assume the high pressure line is a power steering line? It may just be an o ring that is a common failure point on these cars.

Why do you say it needs a valve adjustment? Are they saying it does or is it running rough?

Are you looking for a perfect car or a reliable car to get you from A to B.
If you're not looking for a perfect car, I'd fix the oil pan gasket and maybe the high pressure line and drive it as is.

Things will start to wear out because it is a 14 year old car. Not everything will need to be fixed in order for the car to be reliable. It just depends on what you are looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do believe the high pressure line is a power steering line. It was dark when I spotted the leak and I didn't trace the line at that time.

The Honda Dealership where it has been serviced said it was due for a valve adjustment per the maintenance schedule.

I'm looking for a reliable car for my wife and children and to occasionally take on a family trip. If I buy it, I plan on fixing the oil pan gasket and high pressure line right away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oil pan gasket the same.

The Honda dealership quoted me a price of $465 for the valve adjustment and $394 for the high pressure line.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,047 Posts
I do believe the high pressure line is a power steering line. It was dark when I spotted the leak and I didn't trace the line at that time.

The Honda Dealership where it has been serviced said it was due for a valve adjustment per the maintenance schedule.

I'm looking for a reliable car for my wife and children and to occasionally take on a family trip. If I buy it, I plan on fixing the oil pan gasket and high pressure line right away.
The valve adjustment isn't necessary at this point. Does the engine run smooth? You can definitely kick that can quite a bit further down the road.

Otherwise if you fix those things and stay on top of other maintenance including transmission fluid changes, the car will treat you very well.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Yes, A lower price would be great. They likely know someone will take it as is. Any vehicle this age will need maintenance. IMO, if your not into DIY, I'd pass.
Is is 2wd or 4wd?

·
Administrator
15,669 Posts
I also ran into failing cats and EGR valve at those miles. . I ran into having to replace the power steering lines. It was bear to do according to my mechanic.

Also look at the rear subframe and the mounts to the body. They rust terribly. Rust will likely be visible on bodywork around the rear bumper and rear reinforcement.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I also ran into failing cats and EGR valve at those miles. .
Yes to these, especially if 2wd equipped with VCM.

·
Registered
397 Posts
IMO, if your not into DIY, I'd pass.
The Buyer's Guide has more about this.

If they salt the roads in your part of the midwest, at least check very thoroughly for rust. Although market conditions and the Honda mythology keeps people buying them for silly prices, I wouldn't pay more than $2k for a vehicle like this.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
With high milage, 4wd is better since there is no VCM. I'm not apposed if everything else checks out.

If they salt the roads in your part of the midwest, at least check very thoroughly for rust. Although market conditions and the Honda mythology keeps people buying them for silly prices, I wouldn't pay more than $2k for a vehicle like this.
It's going to be hard to find a used Pilot for $2k unless it's in really bad shape. For a bargain, you can always shop the auction at www.copart.com

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Also look at the rear subframe and the mounts to the body. They rust terribly. Rust will likely be visible on bodywork around the rear bumper and rear reinforcement.
The rear subframe is very important to inspect for rust affecting structural integrity. However don’t be discouraged by the graphic pic as this part is replaceable. Similar year Toyota Highlander uses aluminum rather than steel for a part that is under constant assault from road debris, salt and hazards. New rear impact beams are around 120 shipped.
8B7F87A2-162D-467D-A6B0-153073EEB0F1.jpeg

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
It may just be an o ring that is a common failure point on these cars.
If it is, it's a much easier and inexpensive fix...

... and therefore less lucrative for a dealership who might be tempted to let you know that, by the way, they could do the high pressure line job.

Just like Honda calls for a valve job only "if they are noisy," (see attached PDF from the Owner's Manual) but the hours of labor charged really add up at a dealer's rates, if they happen to mention they could do that for you, too.

^^^This.

Since a devoted Admin is following this thread, it's more likely this reminder that it deserves to be made a Sticky will catch his attention more than my countless previous endorsements and pleas. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are they sure it’s the oil pan gasket? Most of the time it’s the oil pump seals dry rotted making it look like the oil pan is leaking which is a more labor intensive job. The price of the pilot definitely needs to be dropped accordingly.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Are they sure it’s the oil pan gasket? Most of the time it’s the oil pump seals dry rotted making it look like the oil pan is leaking which is a more labor intensive job. The price of the pilot definitely needs to be dropped accordingly.
In which case, you really should try, you guessed it, AT-205 first.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's going to be hard to find a used Pilot for $2k unless it's in really bad shape.
I should have been clearer.

For me and my personal calculus, market value and what I think is "worth it" are two different things, especially with the price increases in the last 12 months. That doesn't make this a bad deal - it just means that there are people that will pay more for an old Pilot than I would.

I think that the odds of getting 50k miles from this vehicle without significant incremental investment are pretty low. All of the "look out for this" posts in this thread point out some of the ways that can happen. As NailGrease already suggested, if the OP isn't doing the work, that money might be better spent elsewhere.

There's a lot of cars out there in the $5k - $10k range. For me, a high-mileage '07 from snow country for $5,500 doesn't make the cut, unless the records show that it's been exceptionally well-maintained (motor mounts, suspension refresh, etc.). Others will see it differently - that's what makes the forum interesting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts