Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I am purchasing my 1st Pilot next week and it’s a pre owned with 152k on the dash. Once I receive the vehicle, I plan on doing the oil change and transmission flush, hopefully the same week. And I’m doing the tune up and brakes to get everything tip top.
That’s all I know how to do and what would need to be done. This vehicle will be my daily driver and I definitely want to see if I can push it to 300k as it’s such a beautiful car and it’s my first Honda so I want to see how it’s reliability precedes itself.
Is there anything else I should check up on in the vehicle to maintain it a little further? Or would the best bet be to bring it to someone and have them look it over?

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
If you can do brakes, then you can do most everything else with the right tools. Just keep building up your tool chest.
People cringe when the word "flush" is used in a Honda forum in reference to ATF.
I'm sure your speaking about a drain and fill (D&F). Drain and fills is the best method as opposed to a mechanical flush which have been known to be problematic. A single 3.5 quart D&F removes a little more than a 3rd of the old fluid. It is common practice to do multiple D&Fs (3) if the fluid is in poor condition. Many DIYers are using full synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. It's available at Wal-Mart for $17.97 a gallon.
VERY IMPORTANT...
Do you know if the timing belt water pump job was done at 105k miles?

Inspect serpentine belt for cracks.
Other maintenance items to keep your engine running smoothly...

• If 2wd disable the VCM. https://svcmcontroller.com/
  • Air filter new/clean installed correctly.
  • Air intake tube crack/leak free, clamps tight, replace if damaged
  • Spark plugs new/clean, NGK Laser Iridium (3657)
  • No engine oil in spark plug tubes. Replace valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals if found.
  • Coils test fire, clean of oil, replace oil soaked boots if any.
  • Replace PCV valve
  • Replace EGR valve if unexplained rough idle (last)
  • Use full synthetic 5w20 oil. No semi blends or extended performance oils.
  • Use a top tier 87 octane gasoline or use injector cleaner periodically.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
VERY IMPORTANT...
Do you know if the timing belt water pump job was done at 105k miles?
@Nail Grease tried to be clever by highlighting that comment in color, but it appears in a very faint, almost illegible, shade of yellow on my screen.

The periodic replacement of the timing belt is a vital service and needs to be done every 7-years or 105K-miles, whichever comes first. If you don't know for certain when (or if) the belt was replaced, put that job at the top of your list.
The water pump and the belt tensioner typically get replaced along with the timing belt.

Also, check your VIN to find out if all of the recalls have been completed.
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
@Nail Grease tried to be clever by highlighting that comment in color, but it appears in a very faint, almost illegible, shade of yellow on my screen.
I'm in dark mode to relieve eye strain. How else could I possibly be on the forum day and night. /smirk Yellow appears nicely on my screen. Sorry for your inability to see yellow.

Reactions: aggrex and mjgoetz3

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
I'm in dark mode to relieve eye strain. How else could I possibly be on the forum day and night. /smirk Yellow appears nicely on my screen. Sorry for your inability to see yellow.
Try viewing it in light mode.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The fact that he didn't mention the timing belt work means he didn't check to see if it was done before buying the vehicle, too bad. A simple Google search on the vehicle prior to purchasing it would have revealed this maintenance item.

OP - did you get a Carfax report on the vehicle ? If not, again, too bad. It shows not only accident info but also maintenance if done by a dealer/shop.

Do the full timing belt package work now = $1,200 - $1,500.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
Sleeve Font Entertainment Music artist Electric blue

@Dallas2007Pilot, welcome to the forum. Please excuse any of our internecine antics you may come across from time to time.:)

There's a great checklist in the Stickies for this generation (2003-2008), which is not only good for prepurchase, but helps focus on maintenance according to priority...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts