Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EXL 2WD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 06-08 Honda service manual it says to replace the idler Pulley bolt and discard the old one.

However, I got the Aisin TKH-002 kit that does not come with a new bolt. I have read countless threads of these bolts breaking after a reinstall and I do not want that to happen.

I can't seem to find the part number for this bolt or where I can purchase this bolt. Does anyone have any suggestions or can point me in the right direction? Thank you!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,177 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EXL 2WD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Most videos I have seen replacing the timing belt/water pump they just reuse the bolt but both the Honda service manual and the Haynes say to use a new bolt. The discrepancy is what set off a little paranoia for me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Most videos I have seen replacing the timing belt/water pump they just reuse the bolt but both the Honda service manual and the Haynes say to use a new bolt. The discrepancy is what set off a little paranoia for me.
Our friend @Cousin Itt is dealing with this nightmare now.. :(

Interesting. Should we all be ordering a new idler pulley bolt on top of our Aisin TKH002 timing belt kits?

More Information for AISIN TKH002

It may be rare, but still happens so has risk so for our common knowledge base here I say,. Effen Yah I'll make sure to place another order for the $5 14551-RCA-A01 with the AISIN TKH002.

And I asked my wife to write a letter to AISIN stating the hardship a broken idler bolt causes owners, quote the service manual and ask why tha ... it's not standard to include in the kit! (not in my words of course) .

·
Registered
86 Posts
So if that bolt is going to break, does it typically happen during service or when trying to remove it?

Did Cousin Itt's break during serivce or removal? I guess i could go back and look at that thread.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
284 Posts
generally bolt replacement recommendations are due to the stress placed on the fastener one way or the other. bolt could get bent out of line? threads could be a one time torque application? I re-used mine without thinking twice about it because I saw nothing visibly wrong with it. maybe on my NEXT go around I will get a bolt to have on standby.

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
These bolts are ok to reuse if it came out easily and the threads look good. I'd buff it off and test it. If going back in smooth without a hitch, I'd reuse.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
54 Posts
Our friend @Cousin Itt is dealing with this nightmare now.. :(

It may be rare, but still happens so has risk so for our common knowledge base here I say,. Effen Yah I'll make sure to place another order for the $5 14551-RCA-A01 with the AISIN TKH002.

And I asked my wife to write a letter to AISIN stating the hardship a broken idler bolt causes owners, quote the service manual and ask why tha ... it's not standard to include in the kit! (not in my words of course) .
The AISIN kit does not come with the two water pump seals. Why is that? Are they necessary?

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
The AISIN kit does not come with the two water pump seals. Why is that? Are they necessary?
The water pump does come with a gasket that seals it to the block. Which seals are you referring to?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
54 Posts
The water pump does come with a gasket that seals it to the block. Which seals are you referring to?
The part number at RockAuto shows 6 parts including the water pump. But it does not show two seals. Other suppliers show 8 parts for the kit with two seals. That is all I know. It could be the information provided is not as clear as it could be.

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
The part number at RockAuto shows 6 parts including the water pump. But it does not show two seals. Other suppliers show 8 parts for the kit with two seals. That is all I know. It could be the information provided is not as clear as it could be.
There are two cam seals and the front main seal that can be replaced. Most agree not to touch these unless they are leaking. I replaced mine at 251k miles when I decided to reseal my oil pan and pump. On an 05, it might not be a bad idea. I'd use only Genuine Honda.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts