Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
07 abs issue

Need some help! Have a 2007 Pilot with 166,000. Recently i started to get my rear driver side brakes locking up along with the front passenger side locking up. originally I though it was just the rear tire so I changed caliper and hoses, flushed he system and bleed it. But when I put on brake, the rear was still locking up.

So i took it to my mechanic and he placed on computer and says that abs module failure. I am not to convinced with his diagnosis so I cam e here to see if anyone has any experiences or suggestions.

Thank you for any help! It's my daughters car so I want to make sure it is safe.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had an Acura Integra years ago that wore out the left rear and right front pads, however, the right rear and left front pads were in really good shape.

It turns out That the master cylinder wasn't split up in the traditional front/rear circuits.

They put the left front and right rear on 1 circuit, and the other 2 on the second circuit.

I had a bad master cylinder that wasn't activating the right rear and left front calipers.

You may have an issue where the master cylinder isn't releasing pressure on those 2 wheels.

Could the ABS module be bad? possibly.

Here's how to diagnose it:
Jack up the car, get all 4 wheels off the ground

make sure that the caliper slide pins aren't seized. If all is good, then
Step on the brake, release the pedal. The caliper pistons should retract ever so slightly to allow the rotor to spin.
If a caliper doesn't release, open the bleeder screw and see if it releases. If it does, the caliper is good, your restriction is further up the line.

Step on the brake again and release, move to the ABS module and loosen the OUTPUT line for the affected caliper. If the caliper releases, your restriction is still further up the line.
Repeat again, this time loosen the INPUT to the ABS module. If the module is in fact the culprit, loosening the INPUT will not release the fluid pressure at the caliper, it will remain locked.

Continue this up to the master cylinder if necessary, and you can even start at the master cylinder and work your way down the line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts