Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get either of these batteries at a local shop, is there any reason to get one or the other?

Battery has been slowly getting worse and worse over the last few months, boosted it the other day and then tried a slow charge but this morning after sustained sub zero temps for a week, the battery is stone dead. I think it is about 5 years old and recently the pilot only gets driven about once a week or so.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
If the Walmart or Costco equivalent store is available in Canada the 24F is $80 US. Fresh battery means easier starts and less stress on starter and alternator especially during the winter. The physical specs of the 34R means it should fit nicely for a bit more CCA but I think the cost is a bit higher US

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
89 Posts
I can get either of these batteries at a local shop, is there any reason to get one or the other?

Battery has been slowly getting worse and worse over the last few months, boosted it the other day and then tried a slow charge but this morning after sustained sub zero temps for a week, the battery is stone dead. I think it is about 5 years old and recently the pilot only gets driven about once a week or so.
I would just go with the specific of the vehicle at any local shop I got mine at Walmart 800 cold cranking amps had it for three years no problem just check the date of battery you should be fine

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the Walmart or Costco equivalent store is available in Canada the 24F is $80 US. Fresh battery means easier starts and less stress on starter and alternator especially during the winter. The physical specs of the 34R means it should fit nicely for a bit more CCA but I think the cost is a bit higher US
The 34 is $150CAD, I'm not sure how much the 24 is. Is the extra money worth it for the CCA gains?

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
34R is hard to find. I don't see that Wal-Mart has it anymore. O'Reilly has a Super Start 34EXT 800 CCA for $169. The post are positioned forward, making the positive cable a stretch. The 750 CCA at Wal-Mart for $89 would be hard for me to pass on.

Ah, your in 🇨🇦

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
89 Posts
The 34 is $150CAD, I'm not sure how much the 24 is. Is the extra money worth it for the CCA gains?
It’s been my experience to pay now or pay later in my case it was coming out of my job working a 16 hour shift at night temperature dropped and vehicle doesn’t start payed for a jump never again lol

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
Can always get a Jump Starter Pack.

It doesn't have to be this big to work.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I've got one, I went to use it this morning and it was dead. I just charged it a few weeks ago, I think the cold drains it really quickly because I leave it in the car...
That's going to happen to batteries and lithium jump starter paks in colder climates. Just check the status every few weeks to make sure its ready when you need it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's going to happen to batteries and lithium jump starter paks in colder climates. Just check the status every few weeks to make sure its ready when you need it.
Yeah, I think going forward I will just keep the jumper inside and toss it on the pilot when I drive it. But with a new battery I hope I won't need to feet about the battery for a few years!

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
Yeah, I think going forward I will just keep the jumper inside and toss it on the pilot when I drive it. But with a new battery I hope I won't need to feet about the battery for a few years!
Since your Pilot is being driven only once a week, if you have access to a power outlet where you park at home, you might want to get a battery charger/maintainer.
Connect it to the battery periodically, especially during winter, to keep the battery fully charged.
Here is one example sold by both Walmart and Canadian Tire: https://no.co/genius2

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,262 Posts
Faced the same dilemma staring at batteries at Walmart last month.

It may help to know that the 24F battery posts are in the correct position for your Pilot. Not to say you couldn't get the other one to fit with a little finagling, but is that what you really want to be doing in this weather?

So I grabbed the last 24F at the Decarie Walmart. You can see they're sold out now there, along with just about everywhere. I guess there's a region-wide run on batteries when all those borderline batteries croak when freezing temperatures cull the herd.

There was also a 34R there I looked at, though now it's sold out, too. Measuring them side by side they were identical width and lengthwise, and the 34R was even slightly shorter. But then I looked at where the posts were positioned on each one and they didn't match. The posts on the 34R were toward the front in the vehicle, and I wasn't sure the positive and negative cable would reach just eyeballing it and I didn't feel like going back out to the parking lot to check, especially since I had the last 24F in my cart. I didn't dare leave it unattended.

After making my purchases and heading back to my Pilot, I did look, and I think a 34R might have worked only if you sawed off some of the battery tray left side wall. In a pinch you could make it work, it looks like, and maybe that's what I would have done if the 24F had been gone when I arrived there. Perhaps the guy after me ended up doing that, who knows? :)

EverStart MAXX-24 | Walmart Canada

EverStart MAXX-34 | Walmart Canada

Yes, yes and yes. View attachment 142663

1. If this COVID thing lets up by then, next summer she'll road trip it to somewhere near the New Mexico - Texas border for a rocket competition for engineering students. She was disappointed it was canceled last summer.
  2. That would be a good start. View attachment 142664
  3. I thought that's why we were all here. View attachment 142665

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up with both a 34 and a 24 (first shop wanted $250 for the 24, no way, but they had the 34 for $150 so I got it just in case; Canadian Tire had the 24 for $150) and the 24 had 725CCA and the 34 had 550CCA and my Honda OEM battery had 425CCA. I think both the 34 and 24 would've fit just fine but I'll be returning the 34.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts