Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving 40mph when engine stopped. Dash showed on position icons... tested battery and getting 12volts so eliminate battery and alternator problem.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Have someone watch the front cam gear while you crank the engine. There is an inspection port on the side of the upper timing cover you need to pop open. No cam gear movement means a broken timing belt.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
I was driving 40mph when engine stopped. Dash showed on position icons... tested battery and getting 12volts so eliminate battery and alternator problem.
Did you load test the battery or just check the voltage. Many shot batteries will hold 12 volts static, but under load the voltage drops.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,840 Posts
. . . tested battery and getting 12volts so eliminate battery and alternator problem.
Also for the battery there is a large difference in battery health depending if the measurement is 12.6Vdc (good) versus 12.0Vdc (likely bad).

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,840 Posts
Measurement above is voltage across the battery after the vehicle has sat with the engine off for a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok update on my issue pulled back the peep holes to timing belt, then pulled back plastic cover and low and behold belt ripped asunder. Thanks folks for your help will change Sunday all day in my garage.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
How long did you drive it after it popped? Broken timing belt often results in damaged interference engine. Make sure the engine is OK, and it may well not be, before you decide to invest time and money in a new timing belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts