Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is the wife’s daily, she called me this morning saying the AC stopped blowing cold and the power steering went non existent, she was able to limp it to the side of the road however I need to go troubleshoot it after work.

I changed the oil & did a drain & fill on the tranny yesterday. We drove it out to dinner last night and all in all round trip it was about 60 miles no issues whatsoever.

Is it in limp mode, if so what could it be? If not has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Got any indicators on your dash? If a serpentine broke your batt light would come on. (Double check they all light up when you turn the key - cause bulbs burn out)

True "limp mode" will have a CEL.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed the serpentine belt with an OEM Honda belt when the alternator went out about 8k miles ago

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
I changed the serpentine belt with an OEM Honda belt when the alternator went out about 8k miles ago
I'd inquire with the wife about any sounds the vehicle made before it happened. Did she hear a "thunk" from under the hood when it went out? The AC, Powersteering & Alternator are driven by that same serpentine. It's possible one of the pulley's, or something locked up, causing the belt to snap. I'd be prepared to tow it back home / to a shop if that belt only had 8k miles on it (assuming that's the issue). Only other thing I could think would have to be electrical related like a fuse, or chassis ground issue, so I'd be prepared to double-check/clean all the chassis ground locations with a wire brush, and use some battery terminal corrosion inhibitor (like what you can use on battery terminals), and/or dialectic grease to seal the connection from the elements/future corrosion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Okay so the belt did come undone, if it didn’t snap would you just chalk it up to an auto tensioner malfunction or do you think one of the drives locked up causing it to come off?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the serpentine belt slipped off, do you imagine it did damage to the motor internals? I remember I had an integra that the belt broke and it belt a valve

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts
If the old belt doesn’t look damaged, I would put it back on and check that the tensioner is applying the appropriate tension. Then start the Pilot up and verify all the pulleys are spinning correctly.

On the Integra I’ll bet it was the timing belt which broke if valves got bent.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
If the serpentine belt slipped off, do you imagine it did damage to the motor internals? I remember I had an integra that the belt broke and it belt a valve
That's the "Timing" belt, and absolutely critical because of most of Honda's engines being of "interference" design, including these J35's, and why they are recommended to be replaced every 7 years or 100,000 miles (whichever one comes first).

·
Registered
312 Posts
I will not hurt internals if this belt comes off. I would spin the pulleys on the tensioner, ps pump, and ac compressor and if they feel ok I would put the belt on and give it a try.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay so after inspection, the alternator bolts backed out, and the belt came undone.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Thank you for following up. Sounds like those bolts weren't torqued down to specification and that's why they backed out eventually, if they were, you'll probably want to add some Blue Loctite, or any other thread-locker that doesn't require heat as part of it's removal process.

From the 06-08 Pilot Service Manual (Page 83 aka Section 4-37), (inner) one is 33ft lb, and the other (outside) should be 16ft lb.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts
If you don’t have one, get yourself a torque wrench. You’ll get countless uses out of it so it will be money well spent.

·
Registered
423 Posts

the accessory belt came off, not the timing belt.....

accessory belt is outside of the engine - crank pulley/AC/alternator and tensioner
timing belt is under the timing cover - crankshaft/water pump/cam shafts (and tensioner)

·
Registered
423 Posts
also, if the alternator bolt came out, make sure the upper bracket is not cracked....shown in the diagram above attached to the alternator top right in the image above. These are known to fail, then break the long alternator bolt in the block. (dont ask how I know)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well today came to a shitty end but I just drove it home without power steering I hope I didn’t mess up anything by doing so. The top bolt was missing so I ran over to my local Honda and told them I needed the top bolt it was only a dollar and some change however I don’t believe it was the correct thread pitch because when I started putting it in it cross threaded.

So now gotta take it to my trusted mechanic and hope he can tap it and rethread the hole.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
The top bolt was missing so I ran over to my local Honda and told them I needed the top bolt it was only a dollar and some change however I don’t believe it was the correct thread pitch because when I started putting it in it cross threaded.
So now gotta take it to my trusted mechanic and hope he can tap it and rethread the hole.
Use the new bolt to select the correct metric tap and run it through. It's a good investment to have metric taps and a master threader set on hand for these situations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts