Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased 06 pilot EXL excellent condition. However, heavy rain last night (storms in florida) driver's side floorboard was very wet. Wife thinks possibly leak through lever to open hood or in that area. My thought is if the windshield has been replaced is this a known issue? Also, car has custom sound system with sub - therefore additional wires have been run through car. Any thoughts/help at all would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If the windshield has been replaced, this would be my leading candidate, especially if it was recently replaced as part of getting the car ready for sale. Other high-probability path is sunroof. Holes for stereo system wiring don't typically have good paths for exterior water but anything is possible. If you pull mats/carpet and do a good inspection you'll get some idea whether this is a new or old problem and can ID path of water to floorboards. You have to start at the bottom and work up to source, removing trim as necessary.

- Mark

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do a search on this site and youtube and you'll find it's not uncommon. Honda also issued a TSB about it so that tells you just how common it is. I'm having the same problem on my '05 and I'm gonna blow out the AC drain first to rule that out before I delve into what the TSB addresses.

Since your '06 has side marker lights in the fender there's a known problem with the wiring harness allowing water to enter the vehicle. There's also sometimes an issue of insufficient seam sealer being applied behind the mud flap area...another entry point.

Believe me, you'll soon see you're not alone when you perform a search.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for responses - for now thinking the drivers side sun roof drain which may exit at mud flap? Anyhow, having a trusted mechanic go over the car since we just purchased and hopefully he will find.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
173 Posts
thanks for responses - for now thinking the drivers side sun roof drain which may exit at mud flap? Anyhow, having a trusted mechanic go over the car since we just purchased and hopefully he will find.
What was determined to be cause of the leak? I'm having same issue.
Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks

I can't speak for the OP but in my case it was the seam which runs behind the mud flap...both sides in my case as the driver AND passenger side floorboards were taking on water. If you pour water on the windshield it gets routed right onto that seam so you don't have to be moving to have water leaking past that seam. I simply firmly pressed rope caulk into the seam and my floorboards have been bone-dry ever since that time..and that was several years ago.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
173 Posts
I can't speak for the OP but in my case it was the seam which runs behind the mud flap...both sides in my case as the driver AND passenger side floorboards were taking on water. If you pour water on the windshield it gets routed right onto that seam so you don't have to be moving to have water leaking past that seam. I simply firmly pressed rope caulk into the seam and my floorboards have been bone-dry ever since that time..and that was it

Is starting to look like that could be the case for my 05. Will be pulling tires off and mud flap tomorrow to have a look, seal/test. Will reply back with findings

·
Registered
162 Posts
You'll see the seam starts towards the upper half of the firewall and ends at the bottom...behind the mudflap. If I remember correctly there are three sections of sheet metal which meet behind the mud flap and they simply didn't apply enough seam sealer to that area at the factory and the situation worsens over time.

I'm looking forward to your findings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks
Yes it was the sunroof drain that if I recall exits at the mud flaps driver's side as the water was on this same side. I think our mechanic blew air at the top which pushed the leaves etc through the line exiting at the mud flap. We have never had this issue or any water leaks since.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
173 Posts
Leak update-
Passenger side- sealed sheet metal seam and leak slowed down. Then triple wrapped the wiring harness with electrical tape and lightly smeared silicone caulk over same including the harness support. After 2 rains-.33” & .93” high winds NO LEAK!!! Ran thru car wash and NO LEAK!!!! Feel this side is FIXED so will put it back together!! ??. The water was visibly coming in at the interior vertical caulk joint at the right corner of the floorboard.

Driver Side- removed mudflap and like the passenger side, it was full of leafs and mud/dirt. Cleaned out and never leaked during the water hose testing nor from the rains and car wash!! The water was filling up below the fuse box and coming thru a hole.
This video helped
I did not remove the fender and have to seal all the way up the seam. Happy about that too!!
I hope this helps you!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thank you for your help Piloteers!!!!
Great to hear that you solved the problem. It's also great to see that you came back to share your findings and explain what actions were taken. It irks me when someone comes here and asks for help and then doesn't have the decency to post a follow-up. Enjoy your dry floorboards :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts