Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
My wife has an 06 pilot and it has a very noticeable vibration when taking off from a stop and either turning right or left. I see lots of discussion here on tq converter shudder, but most of those people do not mention anything about the wheel needing to be turned or from a dead stop. The cv joints look fine, and I don't feel any slop in them. Has anyone else had this problem? It's quite annoying. It goes away once the wheel is straight. The Pilot is the 4wd model with ~175k miles. Let me know your thoughts or what other information you need. Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
theres 2 possible causes, either the rear diff. is chattering or one or more axles are going bad causing a shudder.

I would first try and change the rear diff. fluid just because it is the easiest of the 2 possibilities and see if the shudder improves

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
Wonder too if she is stepping off fast enough to activate the anti skid system. That will reduce throttle, and trigger "strange" noises.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
How are your front struts?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hard to guess without more specifics on what direction the shudder seems to be coming from, but the steering wheel off center thing would lead me to check power steering fluid for foaming (leaking O-ring on the pump suction hose) or level (my '03 wants to be at the full line or it groans). Both jobs are easy and thoroughly documented here. Proper tire inflation is another easy one to eliminate.

Tahoe's suggestion is good, too. While you're under there, check your tie-rod ends for play. If you have more than 100k on them or the struts, you got your money's worth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theres 2 possible causes, either the rear diff. is chattering or one or more axles are going bad causing a shudder.

I would first try and change the rear diff. fluid just because it is the easiest of the 2 possibilities and see if the shudder improves
Would the rear diff only vibrate/shudder/chatter when the wheel is being turned?

Wonder too if she is stepping off fast enough to activate the anti skid system. That will reduce throttle, and trigger "strange" noises.
Are you talking about ABS? It's not ABS. I have driven it too. It does it under light throttle and heavy throttle, the harder you hit the gas the more pronounced it is.

How are your front struts?
They seem fine.

Hard to guess without more specifics on what direction the shudder seems to be coming from, but the steering wheel off center thing would lead me to check power steering fluid for foaming (leaking O-ring on the pump suction hose) or level (my '03 wants to be at the full line or it groans). Both jobs are easy and thoroughly documented here. Proper tire inflation is another easy one to eliminate.

Tahoe's suggestion is good, too. While you're under there, check your tie-rod ends for play. If you have more than 100k on them or the struts, you got your money's worth.
I don't think a power steering leak would cause a shudder you can feel through out the whole car, and not in the steering wheel.

The tires have plenty of air.

I'm really not sure how tie rod ends or struts would cause the vehicle to shudder/vibrate when turning in one direction or another from a dead stop.

I am hoping to find someone that has had this problem with a Pilot before. It seems to be something in the driveline...axles, u-joints, wheels bearings, transmission. When searching here most of what I find is a torque converter shudder that happens at speed when the tc unlocks then locks...that's not the issue I am having. I'll keep poking around....keep on throwing out ideas, I should have some time to look over things in the next few days.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I noticed that Kevin Marbury posted an issue that might be similar a week ago:

Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums > General > Problems > Groaning in driveline when steering wheel turned

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,
Just as a follow up, I changed the rear diff fluid and the problems seems to have gone away. The fluid was still nice a red and did not appear to be contaminated by water, but I have not had issues with the vibration/shudder when turning from a stop since. When searching, it seems this may have been a common problem with some pilots and ridglines, and honda refers to it as a "judder".

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey guys,
Just as a follow up, I changed the rear diff fluid and the problems seems to have gone away. The fluid was still nice a red and did not appear to be contaminated by water, but I have not had issues with the vibration/shudder when turning from a stop since. When searching, it seems this may have been a common problem with some pilots and ridglines, and honda refers to it as a "judder".
yeah the shudder problem first started with the first gen CR-V's, it would only shudder when turning because of the turning ratio of the wheels opposite each other.

Glad you got it fixed

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hey guys,
Seriously ? It would have fooled me since as soon as I saw the red One would think it's good

Glad you got it resolved ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts