Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dash lights work. Turn key no click, nothing. Hear indicator shows P and D with key in on position. A few seconds and D light goes out leaving P on. It starts sometimes and sometimes doesn't. Battery is new from yesterday, which is when this issue started. Starter is good had tested. Someone said Range switch but, when I tried to get more info they quit conversing. Please help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having this exact problem with my 2006 Pilot. If you shift the car into neutral does it start then?

I was actually coming to make a post myself as I had the starter tested, the neutral safety switch tested and everything is fine. For me it appears there is a switch in the gearshift that is the issue. I don't know which one but was coming here to ask. When I pull the gearshift forward (without shifting gears) the car will start. When I switch gears the P/D light crackles and flashes sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts
Are your brake lights coming on? If not the brake switch has failed and needs replacing. This is an integral part of the starter safety system

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Battery is new from yesterday, which is when this issue started.
So I'd start by looking for a loose or corroded battery cable or connection. Check 'em all, including to the starter. Maybe got jostled or stretched or twisted or something when installing the new battery.

When you hear hoof beats, think horses before zebras.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am having this exact problem with my 2006 Pilot. If you shift the car into neutral does it start then?

I was actually coming to make a post myself as I had the starter tested, the neutral safety switch tested and everything is fine. For me it appears there is a switch in the gearshift that is the issue. I don't know which one but was coming here to ask. When I pull the gearshift forward (without shifting gears) the car will start. When I switch gears the P/D light crackles and flashes sometimes.
I will check if putting it in nuetral allows it to start. I have been cycling the key 1-4 times for it to start. For the last couple days it has been starting first try until last night. I will also check all the battery conections.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar situation happens with me. Ended up being ignition switch on my 2006 Pilot. Could not move car. Needed tow. Honda dealer fix cost $650. But it was the only time as I had car since new, that she left me stranded. Can't complain I was at a beach! I hear this is common and some folks have suggested Honda review this I need 2006 as other years of pilot had a recall on this problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem got a new battery and tested my starter at autozone thing passed the bench test I put it back in couldn't find the problem had my guy jumpstart my starter and no click, it was my starter problem is with the bench test your starter isn’t performing with the extra load it would while being in your car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had the same problem got a new battery and tested my starter at autozone thing passed the bench test I put it back in couldn't find the problem had my guy jumpstart my starter and no click, it was my starter problem is with the bench test your starter isn’t performing with the extra load it would while being in your car.
2006 Pilot? So it was your starter then? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello,

new member here!

Just to add the discussion:

I experienced similar symptoms, and the culprit turned out to be a frayed positive battery terminal wire, where it connects to the clamp.

I tightened the wire strands and re-clamped it (will probably solder it the future).

I have not had any symptoms since.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck

peace

1 - 16 of 16 Posts