Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rotors on my 06 pilot look like they are secured with one large lug nut and a large hex nut - there are no 2 set screws that seem to be always mentioned - is this normal and is removing the 1-1/2 inch lug nut and hex nut the correct way to remove the rotor?

·
Registered
115 Posts
That nut is your axle nut. Do not remove this for a rotor replacement.That does not hold the rotor on at all. If there are no set screws( Which are not really needed) once you remove the brake caliper lightly take a hammer and hit the back of the rotor and it will come right off.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Post a pic of your rotor to confirm what lugs or nuts you see. As mentioned once the caliper+pads are removed the rotor should come off. For really stubborn rusted rotors I've wrenched in 2 longer bolts where the set screws were to get the rotor off.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
there are no 2 set screws that seem to be always mentioned - is this normal ?
Actually, you're kind of lucky those were removed and discarded the last time your rotors were changed, presumably. Many who have done a rotor swap will tell you that's sometimes the toughest part of the job, and resorting to impact tools is the only way, after much cussin'.
They don't really need to be there anymore after the manufacturing process on the assembly line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post a pic of your rotor to confirm what lugs or nuts you see. As mentioned once the caliper+pads are removed the rotor should come off. For really stubborn rusted rotors I've wrenched in 2 longer bolts where the set screws were to get the rotor off.
I've watch all the how to videos and all of them show a gap between the axle nut and the center hole of the rotor - that's not what I have! The center hole of my rotor is completely covered by a large lug nut about 1-1/2" diameter and a 2" hex nut. Can't see how to remove the rotor without removing them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've watch all the how to videos and all of them show a gap between the axle nut and the center hole of the rotor - that's not what I have! The center hole of my rotor is completely covered by a large lug nut about 1-1/2" diameter and a 2" hex nut. Can't see how to remove the rotor without removing them?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Post a picture of what yours is like.

Are you saying it does NOT look like this once you remove the front wheel:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it does not look like that - You see the gap between the axle nut and rotor hole - mine is completely covered by a large lug nut and larger hex nut in front of the lug nut -

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yes it does not look like that - You see the gap between the axle nut and rotor hole - mine is completely covered by a large lug nut and larger hex nut in front of the lug nut -
Then we need a picture of yours. Because there is NO "lug nut" in that picture above. A lug nut goes on the studs to hold the wheel on.

The only thing I can think of is if someone replaced your axle nut with a different design, with a overlayed "keeper" device instead of the standard staked nut.

Got a camera phone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What your saying sounds right except that my front rotors have never been replaced - that's the way the car came from the dealer and it was new. I'll remove the tire in the next few days and send a picture -- thanks for replying

·
Registered
603 Posts
What your saying sounds right except that my front rotors have never been replaced - that's the way the car came from the dealer and it was new. I'll remove the tire in the next few days and send a picture -- thanks for replying
You have a 14 year old car on the original rotors, and they have never been removed for resurfacing for a brake job? That's amazing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What you are describing definitely doesn't make sense. You must send a picture. And, 14 year old rotors are most unlikely. They should have been replaced a long time ago and probably were.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any chance someone put some strange wheel spacers on at some point?

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
The suspense is killing me. ??
Photo Please.

·
Registered
603 Posts
"IT JUST STARTED MAKING A LITTLE SQUEEK SO I BROUGHT IT IN......"

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·