Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im praying someone can help me I have a 06 honda pilot I removed the top plastic cover by the tensioner belt to feel if there was play on the timing belt which indeed there was. Then I loosened up the serpentine belt . Per a video I watched then I took off the 19mm bolt to the harmonic balancer removed that and checked all is fine it had a cover behind to gain access to the tensioner it has two bolts. I'm thinking great I can change this easily. Nope I try to put new one on plenty of clearance but the metal pulley it pushes against has like little grippers around it I can't get my bolts lined up at all to put back on. Where did I go wrong? Please anyone ?

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Im praying someone can help me I have a 06 honda pilot I removed the top plastic cover by the tensioner belt to feel if there was play on the timing belt which indeed there was. Then I loosened up the serpentine belt . Per a video I watched then I took off the 19mm bolt to the harmonic balancer removed that and checked all is fine it had a cover behind to gain access to the tensioner it has two bolts. I'm thinking great I can change this easily. Nope I try to put new one on plenty of clearance but the metal pulley it pushes against has like little grippers around it I can't get my bolts lined up at all to put back on. Where did I go wrong? Please anyone ?
The little grippers? I'm assuming your speaking of the timing belt. The pully presses against the back side of the belt.
Do you have the lower timing belt cover completely off?
Is the pin still in the new tensioner?
A photo might help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will not rest against the round pulley are at least that's what it was against it has arms around it that stop it from lining up with the holes I originally took the old one from. I'm seeing from other posts they were able to take the two bolts out and replace with the new part in the first picture then release pin to create tension.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
It will not rest against the round pulley are at least that's what it was against it has arms around it that stop it from lining up with the holes I originally took the old one from. I'm seeing from other posts they were able to take the two bolts out and replace with the new part in the first picture then release pin to create tension.
What it sounds like is possibly the cam may have rotated ever so slightly tightening the belt. This would not allow the tensioner pulley to press in on the back of the belt deep enough to put the tensioner in place. If you have a friend to help you, they could ever so slightly, counter clockwise, rotate the cam gear just enough to take the tension off the belt. Just make sure the cams do not jump time. I'd mark the belt and cam gear, to make sure it stays in time.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The service manual shows using one of the battery hold-down bolts to prevent the tensioner pulley from rotating counter-clockwise when changing the tensioner. Tension on that side of the belt might have made your pulley rotate.

The SM references a threaded hole to solve this problem above the tensioner.

If NailGrease's suggestion doesn't fit the situation, perhaps this will.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Just thinking, you could, ever so slightly, turn the crank shaft clockwise to move the slack in the belt to the tensioner side. Slightly as in the cams to not turn. Just be mindful if the belt should happen to slip out of place, then you must re-time the crank and cams with the timing marks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did you sent the car to TDC before messing with it?

Who in the world replaces a OEM tensioner with a dayco tensioner? Your oem tensioner doesn't even look like it was leaking.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
56 Posts
Who in the world replaces a OEM tensioner with a dayco tensioner? Your oem tensioner doesn't even look like it was leaking.
Please do not put that Dayco tensioner in there. Mine failed at less than 50k miles. I didn't put it in there, the PO did. Once I did some research, and found out how bad they were, mine will never see another Dayco.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Some folks use old school spring tensioners instead of hydraulic tensioners. Have you considered that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts