Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took my 15 into the dealership for the airbag recall ..my wife noticed a gen 1 pilot in mint show room quality roll into the service bay..

it did in fact look very nice .. so good she walked over and the driver told her it was a repaint ... now she wants one... she's already replaced 98% of what's needed with oem parts only thing that is still original is the engine and trans and she wants to keep it until a million miles LOL

I did that with my 88 chevy cavalier GM bought it back .. with all the battle damage of NY living i'm hesitant to put the money into it...

Thoughts...?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just look at the rust around the rear subframe. Visible at and around rear wheel arch as well.
Not worth it imho.
zero major rust has still the original green undercoating from the factory the only area is the trailer hitch and that will be blasted this weekend.

I had a pit access when I do my oil changes so I always do a once over to see what's rusting ... I'm leaning towards getting it done to make her happy it's her ride and she
does have all the bells and whistles that she wanted installed in it . besides she's offering to upfront half of the cost for it..working on getting a free case of beer out of this too :)

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
zero major rust has still the original green undercoating from the factory the only area is the trailer hitch and that will be blasted this weekend.

I had a pit access when I do my oil changes so I always do a once over to see what's rusting ... I'm leaning towards getting it done to make her happy it's her ride and she
does have all the bells and whistles that she wanted installed in it . besides she's offering to upfront half of the cost for it..working on getting a free case of beer out of this too :)

I, too, give the undercarriage a good look when it's up on the lift for an oil change, and this last time last week I looked especially close at the subframe area which has been featured in a couple of threads here recently concerning rust there and how to fix it. I was bracing myself to find mine similarly rusted since this city uses copious amounts of salt in the winter. To my pleasant surprise the area looks pretty damn good, with no cause for concern in the foreseeable future. My Pilot did "grow up" in the far removed countryside, where sand, not salt is used, until I acquired it and moved it to the city, and I have had it rustproofed just before the start of every winter, for what it's worth.

Sure, get a new paint job I say, and post pictures. A good, well-maintained '06 Pilot is worth keeping and keeping nice. My biggest fear at this point is some bozo with no winter tires will slam into me and total my Pilot before it has a chance to rust away, like happened to my cool retro-futuristic Transport (see signature link). I remember getting a paint job on the '64 Valiant (also featured in my signature) and though not cheap it made me happy for years thereafter. Still draws slight pangs of regret :crying: thinking of when I traded it for my "camping" van, but the sadness was replaced with all the fun I had with that van. :smile:

·
Registered
117 Posts
It is impossible to get a good deal from a dealer. They are professionally trained to get every cent for worst car. They know every trick in the world to use on a buyer.
I brought some car once to Carmax for estimate (yes, I was an idiot, wasted my time). they offered 5k for it, I sold it on craigslist for 6500 a few days later. The car was in excellent condition, they would sell it to somebody for 8k, doing nothing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Try a detail

Unless you want a different / custom color, I would try a serious detail before considering a full paint job. If the clear coat isn't failing, you can make a huge difference with 4-5 hours or so of work. The Honda clear coat seems to be very tolerant of novices. You could try doing just the tailgate and see if the results you get are good enough.

For DIY, the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Pro-Speed compound works fast and gives great results with a dual-action tool (aka random orbital sander). The cheap Harbor Freight orange pad is fine, just use plenty of compound to keep the surface from going dry. If you want to be picky about it, you can do a pass with a swirl remover after that, but I thought the surface was good enough after the compound to go straight to wax. For a reference point, I probably spent two hours total on just the hood and front fenders in several sessions, but I have the Nightmare Black Pearl paint that shows everything.

Stone chip touchups are pretty easy DIY, too. Use an etching primer and a single-stage, two-part paint from an automotive paint store and get them to help you with appropriate applicators. The ones I use are like tiny q-tips. A 1200 grit wet sand followed by another buff with the Meguiar's and the repair is close to invisible. I can post more about what I did (starting from no experience to results that most people can't see) if anyone is interested.

I don't know how much this work would cost in a detail shop, but the cost of a paint job that's as good as what the car came with will be significant.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I second the detail, you can buff it with a orbital buffer wax it and you will spend 4 hours yourself and get most of the results of a paint job.

I detailed my wifes 05 Ody,the car was very beat up and I had to drive it on vacation and after about a day it came back very well.I painted the wheel covers for a bit of extra pizzaz detailed the inside put some tire shine on and she was ready for the beach.

thumbnail-1 by carlukok, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may look into the detailing route since the paint job isn't too bad..yet....In some areas the clear coat is not failing my battle would be shopping cart scrapes / long scratches /dings along with running into the chain linked fence a few times while backing up ..deep scratching the front bumper and rear...This was the daughter mobile while she learned how to drive ...I also have the nightmare black pearl on my 15 ... it shows everything under the sun . On the other hand though it does look very good when its cleaned and shined.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts