Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just picked up this Pilot and wanted to introduce myself. I'm gonna use this thread as my build log. After 18 months of being in heavy depression after losing my job, home, car, and just about everything else, it was time to get my **** back in order. Every car I purchased the last two years was complete ****. I just couldn't seem to pick a winner, so I'm hoping this beauty will be my saving grace.

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD/4WD
135,000 miles
2HKYF18546H543449
Stole it for $4200
Blue Steel Metallic (I believe)

There is a tick coming from the engine department that people and the internet tell me is normal for Honda. I hope for my sake thats true. I've been browsing the forums since Saturday 11/24, the day I picked her up. I know I have to replace the timing belt, which sucks. Its been giving me nightmares actually and hopefully the timing belt will be ok until the summer.

I would love to hear your thoughts or recommendations on what to replace and maintenance as well as any visual or performance upgrades. I'm not sure if I missed it on the site but are there any areas that focus on DIYs or stickies regarding maintenance or upkeep. I see the links but it just seems to be recent threads. Which is fine just not sure I missed anything.

The plan is to start with a couple of tires. Not sure why but the truck has two brand new tires in the rear and the fronts are the complete opposite. The tires have uneven wear but I believe an alignment has been done recently based on service history pulled from the mycarfax app. Will rotate this weekend and monitor the front tires. Next will be an oil change and tune up. New plugs and wires, new fuel filter, etc. She has 5w30 in her at the moment but manual says 5w20. Not sure whats in her now but will probably go with full synthetic and hopefully no leaks will develop. I'm thinking Mobil1 5w20, would that be alright? After that I need to get this damn key fob to work, can buy from amazon or ebay and transfer the little circuit and program, I believe. I need to get floor mats. I can't seem to purchase a car that still has the stock floor mats. Even when I bought my BMW there was no goddamn floormats, drives me crazy. Will probably change out the headlights at some point to LED or HID and maybe a new headlight assembly. Something more darker and no amber. Side markers too, hate the damn amber. At some point will upgrade speakers and radio. So thats my basic plan for now. Hopefully I will meet a bunch of cool people here who don't mind helping a guy out and I will try to do the same. Look forward to this.

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the oil viscosity. As long as its and the filter look fresh.
Tires: Bet they were not rotated. Good job adding a second fresh pair.
Was the timing belt replaced onCarfax? Meant to happen around 105k along with spark plugs, water pump, accessory belt and tensioner......Hoping you don't need to touch the plugs, coils (one per plug) or wires. Transmission fluid is replaced then to. Check the engine and cabin air filters.
Maintenance needs reported by the car as needed depending on usage rather than a fixed interval.
Rear diff fluid is a Honda dealer only VTM4 fluid.

Welcome on board. Plenty of Pilots cross 200k

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you Rocky,

I got to say, I am extremely impressed with this truck. Shame on me for never paying attention to Honda suvs and foriegn trucks/suv as a whole. Thank you for the info and the warm welcome. I am really excited to personalize her and make her mine.

I posted most of the service history below but I presume they haven't replaced the timing belt. I'm not sure exactly what vehicle serviced entails on some of the posts. So I plan to take care of that in the summer. 99% of the time I work on my own vehicles. Timing belt replacement doesn't look too bad but I'm not sure yet whether or not I will do that job myself. It looks like shes been decently maintained though. It's been pretty gloomy around here but I will get more pics up soon.

134,961 mi
Berger Chevrolet
Services Performed
Oil and filter changed
Safety inspection performed
Rate Service

09/22/2018
133,311 mi
Express Care
Services Performed
Vehicle serviced
Rate Service

07/03/2018
126,983 mi
Express Care
Services Performed
Vehicle serviced

04/18/2018
122,915 mi
Swanson's Auto Service
Services Performed
Drivability/performance checked
Control arm(s) replaced
Thrust angle alignment performed

03/27/2018
121,230 mi
Express Care
Services Performed
Vehicle washed/detailed
Oil and filter changed

12/26/2017
115,881 mi
Express Care
Services Performed
Oil and filter changed

02/04/2017
107,053 mi
Rivertown Honda
Services Performed
Vehicle serviced

11/18/2016
105,601 mi
Rivertown Honda
Services Performed
Maintenance inspection completed
Oil and filter changed

12/19/2014
Rivertown Honda
Services Performed
Vehicle serviced

08/08/2014
92,121 mi
Honda Gallery
Services Performed
Engine checked

05/24/2014
91,582 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed
Recommended maintenance performed

02/03/2014
87,787 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed

10/03/2013
83,979 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed
Tire pressure sensor replaced

08/30/2013
82,804 mi
Massachusetts Inspection Station
Services Performed
Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection

07/15/2013
79,285 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed

03/02/2013
74,676 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed

09/10/2012
70,234 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed

08/30/2012
69,899 mi
Services Performed
Passed safety inspection

04/30/2012
65,324 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed

11/08/2011
60,916 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed
Transmission fluid changed

08/04/2011
58,485 mi
Services Performed
Passed safety inspection

07/13/2011
57,945 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed
A/C condenser replaced
A/C and heating system checked

05/21/2011
56,594 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed

01/10/2011
52,824 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed
Tire condition and pressure checked

07/01/2010
46,238 mi
Services Performed
Passed safety inspection

12/21/2009
43,686 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed

09/08/2009
39,577 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed
Drivability/performance checked
Rear shock absorber(s) replaced

06/22/2009
Kelly Honda
Services Performed
Vehicle serviced

06/18/2009
35,356 mi
Services Performed
Passed safety inspection

06/04/2009
35,328 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed
Maintenance inspection completed
Air filter replaced
Rear brake pads replaced
Oil and filter changed
Front brake pads replaced

04/29/2009
34,474 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed

10/20/2008
30,255 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed

07/07/2008
26,721 mi
Midas
Services Performed
Emissions inspection performed
Emissions or safety inspection performed

07/07/2008
Services Performed
Passed safety inspection

05/30/2008
25,798 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed
Oil and filter changed

01/25/2008
21,395 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed
Oil and filter changed

10/04/2007
17,282 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed
Oil and filter changed

06/29/2007
13,994 mi
Services Performed
Passed safety inspection

05/24/2007
12,941 mi
Kelly Honda
Services Performed
Brake light bulb(s) replaced
Oil and filter changed

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice looking Pilot! Are you looking to just bring her up to snuff or customize?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
LOL, I had my previous post nice and organized but it came out like a jumbled mess. SMH -- OK I think I'm starting to understand this site. Looks like the mobile view changes how the text looks and also hides the stickies.

Nice looking Pilot! Are you looking to just bring her up to snuff or customize?
Both :grin:
I've got a full roadmap put together on everything I plan. Can't begin to tell you how excited I am. I was disappointed to find out the bolt pattern changed in 2009 because I wanted to update the wheels from a newer model. Found some beautiful 18s from a 2017 with nearly if not brand new tires for $750. I am just going to keep this post alive and update every time I replace or fix something.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome! Hope the Pilot helps you with your personal resurrection, it sounds like you are on your way!

Personally, the gen 1.5 is my favorite style for the Pilot, so you've got yourself a good looking one in my eyes.

I don't have much else to comment on other than to say that Honda's J35, while a great engine for how it sounds, it's power and torque, etc. has always been a noisy engine at idle in my opinion. I never hear it from the inside but from the outside it's considerably noisier than the other 2 V6's in my stable right now (Hyundai Lambda 3.3 V6 and Chevy LLT 3.6) and is probably my favorite overall engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome! Hope the Pilot helps you with your personal resurrection, it sounds like you are on your way!

I don't have much else to comment on other than to say that Honda's J35, while a great engine for how it sounds, it's power and torque, etc. has always been a noisy engine at idle in my opinion. I never hear it from the inside but from the outside it's considerably noisier than the other 2 V6's.
Thank you. It's been tough but there is light in my days again. Are you talking about that extremely loud ticking? I really hope you are cause it's been a bit worrisome. People told me that it's a Honda thing but I was still scared as **** something was wrong. Well hell, that's a relief.

I seem to be having trouble uploading these damn pictures, so I'll try again a bit later.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Obviously I can't hear the volume on yours so I can't completely validate what you are hearing is OK... my suggestion is to find a couple other Pilots at used car dealers near you and hear them run to compare.

I'd also do what the other guy suggested, reading the plugs always gives you a good status of your engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This second set of photos are things I need to repair. Not sure what to do, but I will research throughout winter to start in spring.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts