Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EX 4WD, 2007 Accord DX Sedan, 2.4L
8 Posts
Now, if you really want some fun, ask the forum which ATF they recommend
I'm not venturing down that rabbit hole. I stuck with OEM DW-1. As an engineer, I figured they know what is best, especially with the friction coefficients, viscosity, etc. And besides a bit more outta the wallet to go further down the road, well worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I'm not venturing down that rabbit hole. I stuck with OEM DW-1. As an engineer, I figured they know what is best, especially with the friction coefficients, viscosity, etc. And besides a bit more outta the wallet to go further down the road, well worth it IMHO.
Sir, despite yourself you have thrown down the gauntlet!

Dipsticks at twenty paces at dawn.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Well, from a non engineer to an engineer who has a Pilot that was originally engineered to have Z1 as its OE fluid. A fluid that is no longer available.., Get you some Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF for your old Pilot. Some really smart engineers made a really good full synthetic ATF that is proven, by millions of miles driven by other Honda owners, to work exceptionally well in your 5-speed transmission. 😁

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,651 Posts
@plplplpl Where is that survey on which port to fill the tranny fluid through?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
@plplplpl Where is that survey on which port to fill the tranny fluid through?
Fear not. I have seen your bat signal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use the dipstick. The tranny fill bolt was never used on my '03, and after 17 years and 325,000 miles I'm not about to try and loosen the damn thing. Murphy's Law is telling me to leave that damn fill bolt alone, haha.

I attach a large diameter straw to the end of a small rubber collapsible funnel, and then jam the end of a normal tranny funnel into the neck of the collapsible. It reminds me of a crude Tetris experiment, but it works with no leaks. It literally only takes about 5 minutes to add 3.5 quarts with this system, I'm positive I'd have more of a headache with the actual fill bolt...

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I use the dipstick. The tranny fill bolt was never used on my '03, and after 17 years and 325,000 miles I'm not about to try and loosen the damn thing. Murphy's Law is telling me to leave that damn fill bolt alone, haha.

I attach a large diameter straw to the end of a small rubber collapsible funnel, and then jam the end of a normal tranny funnel into the neck of the collapsible. It reminds me of a crude Tetris experiment, but it works with no leaks. It literally only takes about 5 minutes to add 3.5 quarts with this system, I'm positive I'd have more of a headache with the actual fill bolt...
Nothing a 1/2 break over bar and a cheater pipe can't handle. Please make a video. 😁

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
21 - 30 of 30 Posts