Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 186,000 miles
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got all my parts for the trans filter change. Honestly with having 187,000 miles I was really surprised with how “good” of a condition it was in. The videos and pics I’ve seen of other people pulling theirs out and falling into pieces, mine was still intact. Lifetime filter my ass. Got new banjo bolt washers for the pressure line and new o ring for the filter cap. Very excited to get it swapped! It might’ve been the placebo effect but it seems to shift smoother!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,651 Posts
This is on my to do list as well on the next tranny fluid drain and fill.
I’m planning to remove the battery and battery tray to gain better access to the filter housing. Is that the approach you used?

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is on my to do list as well on the next tranny fluid drain and fill.
I’m planning to remove the battery and battery tray to gain better access to the filter housing. Is that the approach you used?
Yep! I also unplugged the abs module connection to get a tiny bit more access. Worked great!

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,651 Posts
Yep! I also unplugged the abs module connection to get a tiny bit more access. Worked great!
Thanks for the info. I was debating if the air intake needs to be removed, as I’d rather not risk tearing it if it doesn’t need to be removed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I was debating if the air intake needs to be removed, as I’d rather not risk tearing it if it doesn’t need to be removed.
It does need to be removed as well. Just unbolt the lid, remove the air filter, loosen the intake tube to the throttle body, and twist it up over the engine cover. It’s pretty easy to do, and clears up a lot of room.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,651 Posts
Thanks for the info. When I replaced the knock sensor I couldn’t get the air intake completely off. There is that small connection just before the throttle body that I couldn’t get loosened and I was reluctant to try to break the seal with my pick for fear of tearing the air intake. I’ll try what you mentioned.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. When I replaced the knock sensor I couldn’t get the air intake completely off. There is that small connection just before the throttle body that I couldn’t get loosened and I was reluctant to try to break the seal with my pick for fear of tearing the air intake. I’ll try what you mentioned.
I know which one you’re talking about! The hard line towards the firewall just before the throttle body. I was able to get it off. The trick is to disconnect everything from the intake tube (except the hard line, but make sure to slip the hose clamp off) and twist the intake to break the seal of the hardline And then pull the intake tube towards you. Came right off for me!

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,651 Posts
Yup, that’s the one. I did remove its mini hose clamp. Perhaps I didn’t pull hard enough, but I definitely rotated the air intake back and forth as much as I could in hopes of breaking the seal. I’ll put a little more muscle into it next time.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
200 Posts
Did same recently only found the hose clamp laying on transmission- last mechanic in must have said F-It!! Sheeesh... well at least it was found was thinking would have to buy a new one at stealership

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Got all my parts for the trans filter change. Honestly with having 187,000 miles I was really surprised with how “good” of a condition it was in. The videos and pics I’ve seen of other people pulling theirs out and falling into pieces, mine was still intact. Lifetime filter my ass. Got new banjo bolts for the pressure line and new o ring for the filter cap. Very excited to get it swapped! It might’ve been the placebo effect but it seems to shift smoother!
That looks like it needed changing. To think I got one of these in a 2012 that's unserviceable. It's just crazy. I'm debating on what to do. Currently at 244k miles and still shifting smoothly.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,651 Posts
That looks like it needed changing. To think I got one of these in a 2012 that's unserviceable. It's just crazy. I'm debating on what to do. Currently at 244k miles and still shifting smoothly.
Don’t worry. Didn’t you hear that Maxlife cleans the filter?😁

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
If you have a 4WD Pilot, I would definitely recommend changing the rear-differential fluid.
I still can't believe how many Pilot owners either don't know about this or just don't care, even when the VSA dash light flashes on a not-so-hard uphill curve acceleration.

That and the front transfer case fluid on an '06 and up.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EX 4WD, 2007 Accord DX Sedan, 2.4L
8 Posts
I still can't believe how many Pilot owners either don't know about this or just don't care, even when the VSA dash light flashes on a not-so-hard uphill curve acceleration.

That and the front transfer case fluid on an '06 and up.
I did the first ATF drain and fill at 135k miles (I know, embarassing, but even the stealerships refused to touch the fluid at 100k miles when I asked them to change it while at college). The car had a god-awful noise and a horrible shudder to it after the ATF change. I changed the rear differential fluid and it was gone like that snaps fingers. Should have done it way back at like 50k miles when we first started having the weird growling noise.

Who would have known that changing just two fluids can completely change the sound and feel of a car. From "my transmission is about to fail" to "It's in great shape!".

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
In your '05, the front transfer case hypoid gear oil service needed by a 2006 and up is essentially taken care of by your ATF, so you're good there as long as you change your ATF regularly.

And welcome to the forum.

Now, if you really want some fun, ask the forum which ATF they recommend. :)

Valvoline MAX Life ATF vs OEM DW-1 Fluid

DW-1 Alternative

Valvoline Maxlife ATF

MaxLife ATF, Why?

MaxLife ATF

Anyone Else Using MaxLife ATF In Their 6-Speed Transmission?

Going to use Maxlife ATF in my 6-speed and not because...

Like I said, welcome to the forum. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts