Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 pilot with 152000 miles. I love it. The problem is that i was on an accident I rear ended a folf gti. The radiatoris toast. Also the grill abd bumper. But it starts and drives. My insurance company totaled it. I’m wondering if I should buy it back and try to fix it, or just let the insurance company have it. Oh. The steering wheel airbag deployed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Andrew

·
Registered
828 Posts
Depends. If you are handy with tools, ready to do it yourself, and the salvage cost isn't too high, then go for it. Look up junkyard parts online at Car-part.com
The most expensive part is likely to be the airbag. Also the trickiest repair to make. Maybe best to get a quote from a shop on that part. Could be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
At a minimum I would take it to a body shop and have them check if there is frame or suspension damage. I’m not sure what speeds/deceleration values cause the airbag to deploy but I’m guessing the collision wasn’t at 5mph.

After you get that information I would estimate what it would cost to fix the items which need repair and compare those costs to what you negotiate with insurance for the payout. If you’re not a DIYer likely it will make more financial sense to take the payout.

If you end up selling the Pilot in the future it will be salvage title with decreased value associated with it.

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
If the impact is enough to damage the radiator, you'll need a front clip at the. Very least.
Forget about it. Take the cash and invest it in a new set of wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts