Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 honda pilot exl. Im having the transmission shudder issue at around 40 - 45 mph that is pretty common. Ive found out that this shudder happens no matter what gear the transmission is in (2nd, 3rd or 4th) with anything more than very lite throttle. The transmission shifts good, although it seems to down shift too easily in my opinion. It also seems a little slow going into Drive or Reverse sometimes but maybe this is normal for electronic shifting?
Ive read several posts dealing with this issue and how they fixed it. So far I have:
-Changed transmission fluid and filter by draining with the cooler lines. Fluid was brown and I went through almost 3 gallons until the fluid looked good.
-Replaced EGR valve and PCV valve.
-Inspected a, b and c shift solenoids for debris/blockage and they were all clean as well as the screens. I didnt check the ohms though to see if thats an issue. Perhaps i should?
-Replaced the 3 and 4 transmission pressure switches with the updated versions. This did seem to help some with the transmission wanting to downshift often.

Nothing that ive done has made any change to the shuddering issue. Can anyone think of anything else that I should try? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
What is your milage?
Did you use Honda DW-1 or Valvoline MaxLife ATF?
Has the transfer case fluid been changed?
Has the differential gear fluid been changed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your milage?
Did you use Honda DW-1 or Valvoline MaxLife ATF?
Has the transfer case fluid been changed?
Has the differential gear fluid been changed?
About 147,000 miles.
Valvoline maxlife atf.
I have not changed the transfer case or differential gear fluid yet.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've had the exact same shutter, but at 60 - 65 mph, and the cause was a badly worn cv axle.

Granted, I had one other symptom to point me to a bad CV axle: clicking while turning.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
349 Posts
I had to deal with the shuttering of the torque converter as well. Lubegard makes a torque converter anti shutter that works wonders. I put a tube of it in my transmission and the shutter went away in a day or two of driving. They sell them on Amazon for $10. Well worth it!

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
About 147,000 miles.
Valvoline maxlife atf.
If you know these have not been serviced in a while, the transfer case uses an 80w90 hypoid gear oil Genuine Honda. Some use 75w90 full synthetic GL5 rated oil without issue.
The recommendation for the differential gear is to use Genuine Honda VTM-4 only.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Almost certainly unrelated but you might be surprised... have you replaced the radiator as cheap insurance before getting the pink milkshake of death?

You are in the target demographic.

I had to deal with the shuttering of the torque converter as well. Lubegard makes a torque converter anti shutter that works wonders. I put a tube of it in my transmission and the shutter went away in a day or two of driving. They sell them on Amazon for $10. Well worth it!

Lubegard, huh? Not the first time I hear of it. Mental note made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had the exact same shutter, but at 60 - 65 mph, and the cause was a badly worn cv axle.

Granted, I had one other symptom to point me to a bad CV axle: clicking while turning.

--Chris N.
I’ll try to look at them this weekend and see if they have any signs of being bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you know these have not been serviced in a while, the transfer case uses an 80w90 hypoid gear oil Genuine Honda. Some use 75w90 full synthetic GL5 rated oil without issue.
The recommendation for the differential gear is to use Genuine Honda VTM-4 only.
I just bought this pilot. I’ll change the fluids just for good measure. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The front passenger axle has sling out grease. I don’t hear it making any noise, but I’m wondering if is my shudder issue. What’s a good brand to go with?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,188 Posts
About 147,000 miles.
Valvoline maxlife atf.
The 2005 Pilot doesn’t have a dedicated transfer case. It shares fluid with the tranny. I believe 2006 was the first year you could drain and fill the transfer case fluid.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The front passenger axle has sling out grease. I don’t hear it making any noise, but I’m wondering if is my shudder issue. What’s a good brand to go with
OEM should be the best replacement axle. Aftermarket axles have a mixed review for vibration/issues so ymmv. Check out online venders versus Napa etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I replaced the front passenger Cv axle because it had slung grease out. It was surprisingly easy to change. I still have the vibration though. I did find out that this pilot was hit in the rear driver side at some point. Is it possible that the rear cv axle could be causing this? I don’t hear any noises to make me think it’s the cv. All I hear is a tick maybe every 30 seconds or so and it doesn’t seem to matter if I’m turning, going over bumps, etc.

As far as the transmission, it does this regardless of gear, and seems to be 38 - 50 mph all under lite to full throttle. The only issue with shifting is it seems to shift out of 5th pretty easy and is a slightly harder shift vs the other gears. I’m thinking of trying shudder guard to see if that makes a difference.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
349 Posts
I replaced the front passenger Cv axle because it had slung grease out. It was surprisingly easy to change. I still have the vibration though. I did find out that this pilot was hit in the rear driver side at some point. Is it possible that the rear cv axle could be causing this? I don’t hear any noises to make me think it’s the cv. All I hear is a tick maybe every 30 seconds or so and it doesn’t seem to matter if I’m turning, going over bumps, etc.

As far as the transmission, it does this regardless of gear, and seems to be 38 - 50 mph all under lite to full throttle. The only issue with shifting is it seems to shift out of 5th pretty easy and is a slightly harder shift vs the other gears. I’m thinking of trying shudder guard to see if that makes a difference.

Any other ideas?

Is the clicking a sharp metallic click? It could be a u joint on your rear driveshaft going out. If one cap is dragging or the needles are binding it can cause wear and could be the cause of your vibration. It might be worth checking.

Attachments

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Wow, that must've been some pothole.

Pics? (of the CV axle :))

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was broke at the joint by the rear end. I would do a picture but I tossed it pretty quick. It caused me a lot of headache and I was glad to get rid of it lol.

At this point I’ve replaced two of the axles. I’m contemplating replacing the other two.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts