Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

05 pilot shuddering at idle

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  can 
#1 ·
206,000 miles

Since I purchased this pilot 3 years ago, it has had a shudder at idle. Its not mounts or anything like that, it feels like its the engine/fuel/battery. It was a lot worse when I got it, thats when I went tracking the issue down. Cleaned the top end + intake manifold + throttle body, did timing chain, mount, water pump, OEM recommended plugs and coil packs. I don't remember what the plugs were, but the coil packs are denso. Replaced the battery and cables as well. I'm not sure what helped the shuddering, but something did, because its a lot better. Since then, its been a mild shudder, but its still there. Now it seems to be getting a little worse.

What do you think it could be? Anyone had similar issues? Common vacuum leak? Alternator? Dirty injectors?

#3 ·
I did have the valves "adjusted" by a shop. I had this done because at about 180,000 miles the timing belt tensioner failed and the belt nearly slipped. Had them adjusted just in case. Is this something I can check/rectify myself being a weekend mechanic? I don't have a TON of experience, but I am fairly mechanically inclined.

#6 ·
Vacuum leaks usually result in high idle, not rough. Rough means lack of fuel, lack of ignition or lack of air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.