Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Pilot has rusted from the 2 bushing points that attach to the unibody and had rusted off causing the entire rear subframe to fall off the frame. Pilot has 134K is there a recall or TSB or anything the Honda dealer can do? I was researching and I see that Canada has a buy back or trade in on the CRV models. Does the US Honda have anything for the damage?

For reference this vehicle has been hit twice in the rear now. We file a claim with our insurance too so we are just waiting for insurance to reply.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,823 Posts
I haven’t heard of any TSB or buyback in the States. @STMech performed a repair on his Pilot in that area.
Post some photos of your rear subframe.
Be prepared for the likely outcome that your Pilot is probably a goner.
And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Your choices are either the STMech solution, or death with dignity. With the two previous rear hits as an aggravating risk factor, I think it's probably time to walk away unless you're a good metal fab person.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Your choices are either the STMech solution, or death with dignity. With the two previous rear hits as an aggravating risk factor, I think it's probably time to walk away unless you're a good metal fab person.
When I repaired my 2003, only the left rear bushing had broken loose. The other three attachment points were still secure. I think that your Pilot, with the subframe completely broken away, may be past the point of no return. Nothing lasts forever, not even a Honda.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I picked up an 05 with both rear mounts rusted through. I saw STMechs thread on the fix and went to town. The surrounding metal was solid besides the ~2" holes where it pulled through. I removed the rear seat, , cut the old bolts with saws all, used long screw driver to put a ding in the floor pan to mark where to drill. Then put a 1/4" plate between the sub frame and the chassis and an 1/8" plate on top of the floor. Through bolted it. I ramped some train track and I feel very confident in it. It was a ~3 hour job. I do only have 600 miles of driving on the fix but I feel good about it. I feel like if it were to break again, and like the guy I bought it from said, I don't think it would send me off the road. He said he felt it break and didn't know what happened. But it felt normal for the rest of the drive home.
I would feel less comfortable if the rest of the chassis wasn't as solid. Unfortunately I didn't really document my fix.
Thanks STMech for the write up. It wouldn't let me comment on your thread about it

·
Registered
65 Posts

I wasn't happy with the welds but I stuck it together and the through bolts are really whats holding it togther. There was really no reason to even weld it

·
Registered
953 Posts
Good for you! Yes, it's the through bolt, along with a big 5" x 5" steel plate above the floor, that holds eveything together. The big plate above the floor straddles over the spot welded cross member, so you have something to pull it together with. A smaller washer above would not hold, but just pull through the floor.

By the way, my repaired 2003 is still running fine, but the mounting area for the trailer hitch finally rusted away. I cut out the hitch and gave the car to my son, who is delighted with it. He can never tow with the old Pilot, but there is probably still a couple more years in her.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good for you! Yes, it's the through bolt, along with a big 5" x 5" steel plate above the floor, that holds eveything together. The big plate above the floor straddles over the spot welded cross member, so you have something to pull it together with. A smaller washer above would not hold, but just pull through the floor.
Do you still own/drive yours?

·
Registered
65 Posts
That is an awesome DIY repair job! Looks strong and built to last. Did you balance out the 1/4” plate lift for the other 3 sub-frame bolts? You gained a 1/4” LIFT in the rear LOL. Attached is a pic of my 1” sub-frame kit. View attachment 139146
Nice work! I did not.. i didn't think about it or do much planning. Not too worried about it though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What green spacer is that and do you have a write up for that? Still bummed out that this happened I've own hondas all my life.

Wouldn't this also mean that all of our pilots at this gen will eventually tick and go boom on that part like the tacoma frame recall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Pilot has rusted from the 2 bushing points that attach to the unibody and had rusted off causing the entire rear subframe to fall off the frame. Pilot has 134K is there a recall or TSB or anything the Honda dealer can do? I was researching and I see that Canada has a buy back or trade in on the CRV models. Does the US Honda have anything for the damage?

For reference this vehicle has been hit twice in the rear now. We file a claim with our insurance too so we are just waiting for insurance to reply.
Had this same problem with my ‘06 Pilot. Dealer/Honda was of no help. While no rear hits it took one nasty side impact mainly on the rear wheel. I’m in Chicagoland so salt likely contributed a lot to the rust that and about 200K+ miles. But the car was near perfect still otherwise.
First tried a trailer shop hoping they could weld in some steel plates but they wouldn’t touch it.
Ended up at a body shop who dropped the suspension and replaced the panels and put it all back together for about $3,500 which seems like a steal now and I think they under priced it.
Perfect ever since and now at 270K miles.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Wouldn't this also mean that all of our pilots at this gen will eventually tick and go boom on that part like the tacoma frame recall?
We all die sooner or later. Those of us with sufficient "experience" remember GM cars that were shot after 6 or 7 years in the rust belt.

From what's been posted here in the last few years, this failure seems to take 15 years, plus or minus, on rust belt Pilots. With your history of rear impacts added to that, it's tough to conclude that the vehicle is defective.

While I understand your frustration, I suggest investigating the solution noted above if your Pilot is in good shape otherwise. The biggest challenge is that it may be difficult to find a shop that will do it for you because of the liability issues involved. If you are open to doing the work yourself or beating the bushes for someone that would take it on, you can probably keep driving the vehicle until something else kills it as EricS06, MGegner and STMech are doing.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Had this same problem with my ‘06 Pilot. Dealer/Honda was of no help. While no rear hits it took one nasty side impact mainly on the rear wheel. I’m in Chicagoland so salt likely contributed a lot to the rust that and about 200K+ miles. But the car was near perfect still otherwise.
First tried a trailer shop hoping they could weld in some steel plates but they wouldn’t touch it.
Ended up at a body shop who dropped the suspension and replaced the panels and put it all back together for about $3,500 which seems like a steal now and I think they under priced it.
Perfect ever since and now at 270K miles.
Best of luck!
Interesting experience and data points. The next time you happen to be crawling around under there, take some pics and post them.

·
Registered
953 Posts
What green spacer is that and do you have a write up for that? Still bummed out that this happened I've own hondas all my life.

We just bought a 2018 to replace our 2003, and after getting underneath, the unit body construction at the rear subframe looks like the same design as 2003. I am going to get a gallon of Fluid Film and a sprayer, and really grease up the 2018 undercarriage before winter. Supposed to last at least a year, lots of people swear by it.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I am going to get a gallon of Fluid Film and a sprayer, and really grease up the 2018 undercarriage before winter.
Allow me to provide you with some application inspiration. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts