Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EXL-Navi
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally got all my recalls caught up on my 05 pilot. Last one being the vsa ecm malfunction one. Now I'm running smoothly. Only have a couple of slight issues remaining.

1. My map lights do not turn on when the doors open or when the switch is on full lights on inside. Only way they turn on is clicking them on. How can I fix this issue?

2. I have been slowly replacing all the dash bulbs and have noticed that now the vtm button and the passenger airbag light no longer light from behind. I know the bulbs are good. What could be wrong?

3. My power steering doesn't seem to work when the car is at idle. The wheel takes a major amount of strength to turn. If I start moving even a little bit, the power steering works like normal. Could the pump be going out?

4. I noticed that any FM transmitter I use to play my own music causes a very annoying whistle sound that changes with engine rpm. How can I make this go away?

5. My entire suspension creaks very loudly going over any bumps at all. Even pushing on the four corners let's the noise flow. Seems worse first thing in the morning when cold. But even when hot, it still creaks loudly. Are there grease fittings that I could fill up to start? What else would make this so loud?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
I have finally got all my recalls caught up on my 05 pilot. Last one being the vsa ecm malfunction one. Now I'm running smoothly. Only have a couple of slight issues remaining.

1. My map lights do not turn on when the doors open or when the switch is on full lights on inside. Only way they turn on is clicking them on. How can I fix this issue?
Is it just the Front Map lights, or the Rear ones as well? If none are working I'd check the No. 10 Fuse (15 A) on the Passenger side under-dash fuse box. Otherwise it could be the switch itself, or the interior light relay. Gonna have to bust out a multi-meter if you really want to find the source without just blindly switching out parts.

4. I noticed that any FM transmitter I use to play my own music causes a very annoying whistle sound that changes with engine rpm. How can I make this go away?
Sounds like a Ground Loop between the FM Transmitter's power source, and whatever other device you are plugging it into (and likely powering via the car as well). First I would possibly try a Ferrite Cable Magnet/Noise suppressor on the audio wire, other solution would be to purposefully interrupt/break the ground wire/shielding between the source device and on the audio cable connecting the two.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
*My power steering doesn't seem to work when the car is at idle.
Have you done PS fluid maintenance? Any noise or whining? Whats the condition of the belt?

*My entire suspension creaks very loudly going over any bumps at all.
Pilot is over 15 years old. Might be time for some suspension work on bushings, SB end links, shocks and struts etc

·
Registered
506 Posts
5. My entire suspension creaks very loudly going over any bumps at all. Even pushing on the four corners let's the noise flow. Seems worse first thing in the morning when cold. But even when hot, it still creaks loudly. Are there grease fittings that I could fill up to start? What else would make this so loud?
5 is probably worn shocks and struts. Replace the links and sway bar bushings while you're in there. Inspect control arms, first, though - it's possible that their bushings are failing and are contributing to the noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all for the info. I will look into each of these. I did find out that issue 2 was actually bad bulbs. went in my stash of bulbs, and found two good ones. now I just need to get back out to the junkyard for some of the long bulbs in the climate control unit.

as far as power steering goes, what maintenance is required? just do a simple fluid change? i am guessing to only use honda ps fluid.

on issue 1, the map lights do work if you click them on themselves. its just that they do not turn on when the light switch is on full, or in door mode. all the other lights will come on in those modes. where do I probe to find out if the switch is bad? is it the switch in the map lights that I am testing?

on issue 4, all the fm transmitters i have tried are bluetooth only. I have tried plugging them into the main power port in the dash, and the one inside the console. both ports cause the whistling noise.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,265 Posts
!. Switch out your... switches. :)

Plenty to choose from for a reasonable price. Not my thing, but you could even get a "value pack" that includes LEDs.

Amazon.com : ALPS SPED210200

Here'a handy how-to with pictures.

Dome light problem

3. Preferable to use Honda fluid in this case.

What fluid to put in the rear end?

But just because you use the turkey baster method doesn't mean you have to use an actual turkey baster. This pump made the job even easier and cleaner.

How much power steering fluid?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update. Got the bulbs in the climate control replaced, and fixed the map light issue by swapping the switches side to side. The entire cabin looks much better with all that light. Thanks for the post showing the swap idea.

Next issue I want to tackle is the power steering. I checked the fluid and it is completely full. No leaks at all. Should I start with the turkey baster method of changing out the old fluid and get some fresh fluid in there?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,265 Posts
Update. Got the bulbs in the climate control replaced, and fixed the map light issue by swapping the switches side to side. The entire cabin looks much better with all that light. Thanks for the post showing the swap idea.
(y)

Next issue I want to tackle is the power steering. I checked the fluid and it is completely full. No leaks at all. Should I start with the turkey baster method of changing out the old fluid and get some fresh fluid in there?
Yes, changing the power steering fluid is not necessarily because you lose some; it's to get some fresh fluid in there at some point.

Surprisingly, neither the 2003-2005 scheduled maintenance guides not the 2006 and later Maintenance Minder guides in the Owner's Manuals mention ever changing the power steering fluid, but I'm sure most conscientious DIYers do it at some point because, well, it's a serviceable fluid.

Anyone disagree?

But here's a question, all you Piloteers out there: When do you change it and why at that time?

Attachments

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,839 Posts
I’ve been syringing (4x driving snake patterns down the street between syringe and fills) the power steering fluid roughly every 30k miles. Mainly it’s because I figure clean fluid can’t hurt and ps fluid is cheaper than ps pump or steering rack.

I thought I read in the manual to only use Honda PS fluid. Perhaps that was in the specs section. I’ll have to check.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,839 Posts
Here is the statement in the 2005 owners manual stating to use only Honda PS fluid.
5BF1FD5C-F359-4EDB-985C-8F64056D6DA5.png

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex
1 - 10 of 10 Posts