Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was towing my bow up some steep mountain grades. The tranny blew fluid all over. I was told by the dealer the tranny over heated. The tranny slipped only for a couple of seconds tops I admittedly let off on the gas a pulled over. I had it towed home it was refilled by the dealer. The tranny seems to be ok shifting but It seems to have a slight winding noise. It the noise normal? cause I just bought the pilot. I was told once the tranny over heats its time to have it rebuilt. Is this on the true side or they just trying to make money? The fluid is more of a brown color. Smells a little burnt also from it being over heated I think. I was going to change the fluid a few times but I can't get the filler bolt out.
Thx for reading my post and questions.
Brad

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Start by doing a 3x ATF drain & fill, driving it a couple of miles between each, then see how it goes and take it from there. If for some reason you can't get the fill bolt off, you can fill through the dipstick port. It's a bit slower but it works just fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a fill bolt. But it is very tight. I had my torque wrench to almost 80lbs and it still didn't come loose.
The dealer tightened it when they refilled it a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
So you can use a mega breaker bar or fill through the dipstick port, your choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I may have to fill it thru the dip stick. I was just concerned with breaking the fill bolt. Don't really want to make the situation worse by breaking the bolt

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Does your Pilot have the optional transmission fluid cooler installed?
Were you driving with the shift lever in 'D' or 'D3'?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,931 Posts
That fill bolt takes a lot of torque to remove. It took my 18” breaker bar and every bit of strength to pop that bolt loose. It’s so much more pleasant to fill through that port.

As others have mentioned do a 3x drain and fill driving a few miles between each one. Hopefully the tranny survived. If it did, get a cooler and add the needed amount of tranny fluid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I will try again tomorrow.
The dealer told me they only tighten the fill bolt to 34 lbs lol. I told them my torque wrench was at 80 and it still didn't break free. If all fails they said they would loosing the fill bolt but I would rather not drive it until I do atleast 1 drain and fill.
Thx for all the advice and tips for my issue. I will let you know tomorrow about my situation.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use a 60 cc syringe by removing its plunger. The syringe fits perfectly into the dipstick hole. I use a long funnel inserted into the syringe to pour the fluid in very easily and quick, too. Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Pet shops, walmart, target, CVS, Walgreen. They call it irrigation or feeding syringe.Walgreen or CVS will have them for sure. Just go to pharmacy counter and ask them. Better still, call them first. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, thanks so much.
Much appreciated!!!
On another note I asked the dealer what was the torque spec because they filled it up last and they told me 34lbs. I told them my torque wrench was reading 80 and it still wasn't loosing. They told me it tightens the first time the tranny heats up to normal temp. Maybe its true but increasing by over 50 lbs. Doesn't sound like they use the torque spec and over tightened it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Struck out on the feeding syringe I went to walmart petco cvs & wallgreens.I was able to find a 4 pack of red funnels from harbor frieght that the smallest one fits in the dip stick. Then I will use my long funnel to reach the small funnel thats in the dip stick. Best I've found using funnels so fall.

·
Administrator
15,510 Posts
Brad: a turkey Baster works are well of not better.
At least a one time drain and refill.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just make sure it fits snuggly. If it wobbles, you'll have a hard time controlling that contraption while you pour the fluid. Lol! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts