Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EXL-Navi
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after the birth of my daughter, I am now more inclined to fix one of two issues that I have had with my pilot since the day I got it given to me as a gift. first issue is that only the drivers back seat heater works and not the drivers cushion, nor does the passenger cushion. but that's for another show.

The main issue I want to really tackle is the rear hvac. Now I will try to explain everything that is happening how I have it because I have read several posts on here that do not match my problem.

1. I have both hot and cold air coming from the front in any mode.
2. My problem is that no matter what combination of "rear manual control on or off", nor what mode coming from the front, I get no hot air from any of the rear vents. the rear blower does work, and the ac side of the controls does blow cold air. only the hot side does not work. it only blows cold.
3. My first attempt at diagnosing was to do what everyone on here does and clean the blower intake screen. Mine was pretty bad, but no change.
4. I was fiddling around with the blower motor resistor thinking that would maybe help the situation, but that did nothing to help. plus the rear blower motor was already working fine before i touched the resistor.
5. I inspected the motor under the dash for the rear mode selection and the motor does move whenever I switch the vent selection for the front.
6. I have used my power probe to check the fuses and verified that all fuses are good.

one thing i am looking for is the rear air mix motor, as i am thinking about that possibly being bad. however, the service manual online only shows a diagram for 03-04 even though the manual says its for 03-08. it shows the air mix motor being right next to the rear mode control motor on the drivers side of the console. but i recall only seeing the rear mode motor only.

assuming i do find the rear mix motor, and it does check out as ok, where should i look next in getting my rear heat working properly? any and all help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
You do realize that in most modes, heat only comes out of the bottom rear vent, near the floor, right?

Anyway, even though it's for a 2006, this should help...

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
victory! of a sort. I used some new diagrams and found that I had to tear our the console and drivers seat to get to the parts in question. i found the air mix module linkage was not engaged properly. I pulled the module out, cleaned out the old gunk in the gear train inside, re lubed it up, then put it back together. I tested the system out and found out the motor occasionally binds up and shuts down. no matter which way the temperature is moved, once it siezes up, it will not get free unless you tap hard on the case of the module. that will free the stuck motor and it will work again.

does this mean that the module is going bad if it is seizing up randomly?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
If you removed gunk, lubed it up well and are sure the gears are aligned properly and there are no discernible impediments or obstructions, yet it still fails intermittently, it's not going to get better. Time to swap in a new one. You could go OEM, but I'd try a boneyard, since that part doesn't typically go bad that often.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you removed gunk, lubed it up well and are sure the gears are aligned properly and there are no discernible impediments or obstructions, yet it still fails intermittently, it's not going to get better. Time to swap in a new one. You could go OEM, but I'd try a boneyard, since that part doesn't typically go bad that often.
perfect. thats what i was afraid of, but lucky theres a boneyard a few minutes from my place. should be easy to snatch one up. thanks for your help. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts