Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All

I'm having a hard time deciphering all the information for installing fog lights myself. I bought two small light bars ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P396KTC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) I plan on adding to the grill, or welding to the frame by the front tow hook. The 05, unlike predecessors, does not use a "button" switch to the left of the steering wheel alongside the moonroof and VSA buttons. It requires a new combination light switch on the steering wheel, with the added fog light switch ( https://www.autozone.com/electrical...ralast-headlight-switch-sw6943/794939_17486_0 ). I could not, however, find any information on the wiring, relays, and fuses. Could someone help me out?

More pointed questions if no one has a one-size-fits-all answer:

• The only combination light switch I could find was the one listed above at AutoZone, and it ain't cheap ($85). Are there other options I'm not seeing?
  • After I install the new combination light switch, do I need to add a relay anywhere?
  • What about fuses to protect the circuit I wire the lights into?
  • I plan on wiring the two bars in serial, to keep things simple (I'm okay with a failure in one light incapacitating the other - unless there is an easy way to wire them in parallel without voltage drop). I will power one light's positive wire, then feed it's ground wire to the other light's positive wire, then ground it's ground wire. Is that correct?
  • Based on the previous point: where do I connect the positive wire of the first light, to get power? I assume it depends on the answers to my first questions about relays and fuses.

I know there are a plethora of threads on this already, but I couldn't connect the dots. Maybe if I got the installation instructions for an "Everything You need" kit?

--Chris N.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,202 Posts
2005-2008 wiring should be similar, AFAIK. Can't say I envy anyone tackling wiring. Let us know how it works out. Good luck! (y)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,719 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm having a hard time deciphering all the information for installing fog lights myself. I bought two small light bars (
Check my post on my solution for EZ 12V accessory hookup. The kit once installed makes adding future 12V accessories simple. All the relays, fuses and switches are all included and different configurations are available. Some kits power from 4 to 8 accessories.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
The only combination light switch I could find was the one listed above at AutoZone, and it ain't cheap ($85). Are there other options I'm not seeing?

***I can’t recall if there is a blank / unused spot on the lower dash by your left knee. If there is the switch could be mounted there. You’d need to get the wiring which drives the relay coil to that point.

After I install the new combination light switch, do I need to add a relay anywhere?
*** There needs to be a relay since the switch will likely not be able to handle the current of the two light bars (as Aggrex mentioned those aren’t fog lights).

What about fuses to protect the circuit I wire the lights into?
*** Battery positive to fuse to relay to light bars positive side.

I plan on wiring the two bars in serial, to keep things simple (I'm okay with a failure in one light incapacitating the other - unless there is an easy way to wire them in parallel without voltage drop). I will power one light's positive wire, then feed it's ground wire to the other light's positive wire, then ground it's ground wire. Is that correct?
*** Wire them in parallel. Otherwise it will either not work (depending on how much voltage the light bars need to operate) or they will not be at full brightness.

Based on the previous point: where do I connect the positive wire of the first light, to get power? I assume it depends on the answers to my first questions about relays and fuses.
*** See me response above.

Reactions: cloudasc

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
***I can’t recall if there is a blank / unused spot on the lower dash by your left knee. If there is the switch could be mounted there. You’d need to get the wiring which drives the relay coil to that point.
There should be if you don't have a moonroof.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses all. This is definitely more work than I planned for, and I don't trust my electrical skills. I looked at the installation manual for Honda OEM fog lights, and I don't think I have the time, energy, or money to undertake this.

Thx for the help!

--Chris N.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Thanks for the responses all. This is definitely more work than I planned for, and I don't trust my electrical skills. I looked at the installation manual for Honda OEM fog lights, and I don't think I have the time, energy, or money to undertake this
I'm no electrical genius but installing one of the switch/relay boxes makes the tasks simpler, safer and easier to add future 12V accessories. Look for a 4-switch unit. Basically you mount the relay box in the engine compartment then run one bundled wire through the firewall to the switches. Relay box connects to battery via circuit breaker to provide power.
Amazon has inexpensive relay/switch combos. For a little more I prefer the S-Tech product made in the US. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm no electrical genius but installing one of the switch/relay boxes makes the tasks simpler, safer and easier to add future 12V accessories. Look for a 4-switch unit. Basically you mount the relay box in the engine compartment then run one bundled wire through the firewall to the switches. Relay box connects to battery via circuit breaker to provide power.
Amazon has inexpensive relay/switch combos. For a little more I prefer the S-Tech product made in the US. Hope this helps.
Does this solution ensure that when I turn the car off, the accessories don't have power?

--Chris N.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Does this solution ensure that when I turn the car off, the accessories don't have power?

--Chris N.
When my Pilot with the S-Tech relay box has the ignition key off or out all auxiliary power is OFF.
An alternative hookup can be done which will allow for power but one should install a low-voltage cut-off device to prevent idiocy and a no-start situation.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After reviving Auxiliary switch box for a second, I'm back here :)

I need to find an ACC location I can wire into. After finding out what fuse taps are, it looks pretty damn simple to just find the right fuse and tap in. I'm also open to other suggestions. What do my fellow Piloteers think?

--Chris N.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After taking a look at the fuses available to me, I think putting a fuse tap on the radio fuse would work perfectly. Anyone see a reason why this is a bad idea?

--Chris N.

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
Potential interference comes to mind? But there's one way to find out. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Potential interference comes to mind? But there's one way to find out. :)
Radio interference? Or electrical interference? I'm not following what the potential issue would be.

Also - is there a different method I could use to choose what fuse?

--Chris N.

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
I'd say interference, whether signal or electrical, if unlikely, But you asked for caveats. Like I said, there's one good way to find out. Try it. I think you'll probably be OK.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@aggrex what fuse did you tap into? I tried every fuse (that the tap could fit into) in both under-the-hood fuse boxes - and EVERY single one was hot and would light up the switch board. I really don't want to run it through the firewall.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
@aggrex what fuse did you tap into? I tried every fuse (that the tap could fit into) in both under-the-hood fuse boxes - and EVERY single one was hot and would light up the switch board. I really don't want to run it through the firewall.

--Chris N.
I selected a fuse from under the dash that provided switched accessory power. Entered through the firewall via rubber grommet. Your switch system has one bundled cable that has to go through a rubber grommet. I did NOT use nor look at the exterior fuse boxes as they were linked with essential functions that I would not disturb.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I selected a fuse from under the dash that provided switched accessory power. Entered through the firewall via rubber grommet. Your switch system has one bundled cable that has to go through a rubber grommet. I did NOT use nor look at the exterior fuse boxes as they were linked with essential functions that I would not disturb.
Grrrr.... guess I'm going through the firewall to find an appropriate fuse. Thx.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Typical fog light package gives you combination switch, relay, fuse, 2 fog lights and brackets.
Your light bars are for work light or off-road, its spreading light pattern will blind incoming motorists. You need either projector (lens) or reflector (traditional reflective housing). Car is usually pre-wired for fogs. Put the parts in and you are all set.

Here is 2006 FSM for cross-reference.
The law requires fogs off when high beam is on except passing.
Relay, relay, relay,..., that is the basis of car electrical systems.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts