Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! First off, I'm brand new here so be gentle please! My mother in law just gave my husband and I her 04 Pilot with 277K miles on it (holy crap!). She said that before she stopped driving it she had problems with idling from a cold start. Its idle on starting is down around 700-750, which is way lower than I would expect for a car in open loop. When you put it in gear, it immediately wants to die on you unless you really stay on the throttle and two-foot it.

It's throwing P1399, P0300, P0306, P0305 and P0303, the VTM-4 light is on, and the engine light flashes sometimes and stays solid sometimes. I also bought an OBDII scanner and the "live data" that it gives is this:

DTC_CNT: 4
FUELSYS1: CL
FUELSYS2: --
LOAD_PCT(%): 42.0
ECT(*C): 91
SHRTFT1(%): -20.3
LONGFT1(%): 0.0
MAP(kPa): 42.0
RPM(rpm): 767
VSS(km/h): 0
SPARKADV(*): 12.5
IAT(*C): 50 (this was before replacing IACV)
TP(%): 9.4
O2SLOC: B1S12--B2S----
O2B1S1(V): 0.680
SHRTFTB1S1(%): -20.3
O2B1S2(V): 0.895
SHRTFTB1S2(%): -20.3

I've replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the IACV, and still having the problem. What's my next step? (Please don't say valve adjustment. PLEASE DON'T SAY VALVE ADJUSTMENT!!! They're expensive and more $ than we want to throw into this thing right now!)

Oh, also, the air conditioner isn't blowing cold air. I've tried a recharge kit but freon didn't show low when I plugged the gauge in anyway, so IDK if that's actually the problem. I don't think the compressor is spinning. Whether it's because the compressor has failed or because something else has failed and shut the compressor down as a fail safe, I have no clue.

My husband is not a car guy, but luckily I'm a car girl so I can handle most things on my own, but I'm really hoping this might be an easy fix. If we're getting into valve adjustment territory, this is out of my depth obviously, and I'm overall not familiar with Hondas as I was raised working on old Fords.

Any help is VERY much appreciated!

Jade

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Your MIL has a sick sense of humor.

I would start with coils. Take a multimeter and measure the coil resistivity. Ohms are in the FSM, download a copy and check what they should read.
If coils check Okay, EGR is your next suspect. Take the intake top plate off and see if EGR channels are plugged with carbon. Clean if that is the case. There are way more knowledgeable members here who can help with diagnosing the EGR valve itself.

Does the AC cycle on and off? Do the fans turn on when you turn on the AC?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your MIL has a sick sense of humor.

I would start with coils. Take a multimeter and measure the coil resistivity. Ohms are in the FSM, download a copy and check what they should read.
If coils check Okay, EGR is your next suspect. Take the intake top plate off and see if EGR channels are plugged with carbon. Clean if that is the case. There are way more knowledgeable members here who can help with diagnosing the EGR valve itself.

Does the AC cycle on and off? Do the fans turn on when you turn on the AC?
Thank you! I'll start there. The fans don't kick on with the A/C as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Then the AC clutch is not engaging most likely. There is a procedure to troubleshoot the AC in the FSM. Of course it starts with the fuses and escalates from there so try to follow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then the AC clutch is not engaging most likely. There is a procedure to troubleshoot the AC in the FSM. Of course it starts with the fuses and escalates from there so try to follow.
I'll look that up! I tried the relays the other day, just swapped out some of the lighting ones that were the same as the a/c relays since I knew the lighting ones were fine, but no dice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll look that up! I tried the relays the other day, just swapped out some of the lighting ones that were the same as the a/c relays since I knew the lighting ones were fine, but no dice.
Okay scratch that. Fans totally engage, but the air is hot af. Checked the fuses under the hood and under the dash, they're fine. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, no dtcs on the heater panel. I'm assuming if the screen stays blank for the whole minute you're holding it and nothing ever appears on the screen, that means no DTC correct?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
There is AC pressure switch under the hood. It should be short at normal pressure and open at too low or too high pressure. I would start there and see if it is short. If it is, then check if there is 12V and ground at the AC clutch when AC is turned on. If you read 12V and the ground reads 0 Ohm to the chassis, then it is the clutch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can anyone give me some guidance on testing the egr? I'm a little out of my league for anything past the cleaning I gave it...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Did you re-read the codes after the cleaning and everything? What codes are remaining?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hokay. So. I got in and it was running like GARBAGE. ALL 6 P030x misfire codes, plus p0300 and p1399. Cleared the codes and then I did the "idle relearn" (which I now like to refer to as the "rev your car in the driveway until all your neighbors hate you").

Took it for a drive around the neighborhood with the scanner connected and then got the misfires popping back up. P0303, P0305, P0306, P0300 and P1399. The idle is soooooo low. Like 650-700. Is that normal?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,042 Posts
I think the idle is adjustable on the 2003 and 2004 Pilot’s. Something to do with the throttle body still being cable controlled on these years (it changed to electronic controlled in 2005). You might try to find the adjustment procedure for this.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
What resistivity do you read from the coils, cylinder by cylinder?

And I was wrong that the Ohm values are in the FSM. They are not. IIRC you should read less than 1 Ohm across the primary winding and 6-8 kOhm across the secondary. Post what you've got.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts