Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 EX-L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am in the process of running wire for an amplifier & subwoofer install and in order for me to remove the passenger panel that holds the subwoofer. I have to unbolt the tailgate door anchor/latch/strike plate. I have no clue what it’s actually called, forgive my ignorance. I went to go ahead and unscrew those two bolts; but what should’ve been a simple job ended up not being simple at all. The two bolts are completely rusted in and refuse to come out. I used a manual impact driver but it does not seem to be budging. My last resort is to drill them out and replace the bolts but I want to try to stay away from that as much as I can. Regardless I would like to replace those bolts but am having trouble finding the actual name of the part so I can source the bolts. I may actually opt for hex head screws as well as I know those hold up better as far a being able to function through rust.
The attached photo is not of my car but it’s the piece I’m talking about
Thanks in advance for any assistance provided, I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,821 Posts
Reactions: Steve_Stampede

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have 07 pilot, I'm not sure if its the same with pre 06 but you don't have to remove those bolt to remove that panel. Those bolts aren't holding the plastic panel down, just the latch.

·
Registered
2004 EX-L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bolt, Lock Striker - Honda (90120-SV4-000)
They list for $3 each

I am guessing you tried some penetrating oil?
Thank you so much for your help lol I can’t believe how close I was! Yes I tried penetrating oil already. I gave up after about 20-30 mins with the impact set. Before I called it I blasted it again with a good amount of oil so that I can come back to it again another day. We’ll see if it does anything.

I have 07 pilot, I'm not sure if its the same with pre 06 but you don't have to remove those bolt to remove that panel. Those bolts aren't holding the plastic panel down, just the latch.
hmm are you certain? I mean I figured as much when I was looking at it I didn’t see anything else attached to it but everything I read/saw on the removal said to remove those. The panel itself is coming lose but I didn’t want to tug on it and cause damage.

Here’s a link to the rear tailgate parts diagram in case you end up needing any additional parts.
Thank you for the link I’m sure it will come in handy!

·
Registered
2004 EX-L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so going off of the diagram that road2cycle provided it shows the part number as 74813-S05-003. When I google that part number I found a listing that shows the latch along with a plastic trim piece that goes below the latch which looks to affix itself to the larger plastic trim that I have to remove. I could be wrong but that’s how it looks to me.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
These videos should help...

·
Registered
2004 EX-L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These videos should help...

Good on you sir! Thank you, this confirms what was previously stated. Like I said I just didn’t want to start prying things and regret it later lol I will still most likely take those bolts out and replace them before they get too bad. It will only get worse living in the rust belt. Thanks again for everyone who has taken their time to assist me!

·
Registered
2004 EX-L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again guys to everyone who responded. Just wanted to Confirm in here that you do NOT have to remove those screws for the latch in order to remove the panel securing the subwoofer. Just for future reference I know sometimes these threads are revisited years later. The panel is just held in place with 4-6 retaining clips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts