Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need your help. My 04 Pilot has a lot of Noise coming from the rear end. At first I thought it was the wheels so had them rebalanced and had an alignment done after replacing some tie rods and sway bar links this past weekend. Well that didn't take the noise away. It's also odd as the noise dissapears when I'm on the highway and I take a turn. Which this has me stumped since I also just did rear bearings on a trailblazer and the noise was still there when I turned that vehicle.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Have you ever performed rear diff service? How are the rear brakes? What kind of noise?
^^^What he said, and even better if you can post a video where you can hear the noise in question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you ever performed rear diff service? How are the rear brakes? What kind of noise?
^^^What he said, and even better if you can post a video where you can hear the noise in question.
Aggrex and Plplplpl, no I have not done a rear diff service on it. As for brakes i don't recall what I installed but that was done last year and possibly on has about 5k on the new brakes.

I will get a video of said sound this upcoming weekend.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Aggrex and Plplplpl, no I have not done a rear diff service on it. As for brakes i don't recall what I installed but that was done last year and possibly on has about 5k on the new brakes.

I will get a video of said sound this upcoming weekend.
Check the rear differential bushings too. The front ones are very easy to replace.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Delta_p, I wonder if my issue is caused by pictures below
Those are the connection of the rear subframe to the body. This is not a good sign since the whole subframe with the differential and suspension attached to it can be floating around relative to the body.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that looks too far gone for practical purposes. Time to look for a safer ride pronto.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@CHENCHO .....that's really bad news! Your vehicle is UNSAFE to DRIVE! There are threads on this exact rust problem that affects Pilots that reside in states that use heavy applications of salt/brine to keep the roads passable.
@aggrex yes I totally understand I have been the only one driving this vehicle but only to hardware stores that's about it. Wife takes my other cars when she needs to head out. Noise has gotten worse so now I'm wondering if this is the cause of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that looks too far gone for practical purposes. Time to look for a safer ride pronto.
@plplplpl I thought the same but from some of the subframe repair threads on here some look that are actually worse than mine. Don't get me wrong I've hated this truck. It belongs to the wife and I have never liked it... Too many problems from the get go since she got it as a gift.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Noise has gotten worse so now I'm wondering if this is the cause of it.
The four large M14 x 125 bolts hold the rear subframe to the uni-body structure. One of the pictures you posted show the bolt and subframe separated from the rusted uni-body structure. There is significant movement of the subframe making the noise you hear and the other 3 bolts are probably as rusty and ready to separate. The Pilot would never pass a visible DMV inspection and the tech performing the alignment should have noticed the issue by simply looking behind the rear wheel. The average person cannot DIY repair and probably would not pay to have this issue repaired or find a welder willing to perform the repair. Check out the threads here on Piloteers.org for similar rusty Pilots and some success stories to guide you towards the right decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The four large M14 x 125 bolts hold the rear subframe to the uni-body structure. One of the pictures you posted show the bolt and subframe separated from the rusted uni-body structure. There is significant movement of the subframe making the noise you hear and the other 3 bolts are probably as rusty and ready to separate. The Pilot would never pass a visible DMV inspection and the tech performing the alignment should have noticed the issue by simply looking behind the rear wheel. The average person cannot DIY repair and probably would not pay to have this issue repaired or find a welder willing to perform the repair. Check out the threads here on Piloteers.org for similar rusty Pilots and some success stories to guide you towards the right decision.
@aggrex yes I have been looking into them. If I recall all other points are currently still in tact. Here in illinois we don't have inspections. But I do agree the person that did my alignment should've noticed this but never said anything about it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts