Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently started noticing some weird sounds coming from the rear end of the wife's truck.... Looked in the back and was able to see this issue for now. Now I don't know exactly what I'm seeing and I'm hoping you can steer me in the correct direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
the frame is rusted out where the subframe bolts to it. Search on subframe rust, unfortunately a common problem on Pilots in the rust belt. Search on subframe rust in this forum, others have made plates and welded or bolted them in. A repair shop will probably not touch it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the frame is rusted out where the subframe bolts to it. Search on subframe rust, unfortunately a common problem on Pilots in the rust belt. Search on subframe rust in this forum, others have made plates and welded or bolted them in. A repair shop will probably not touch it.
I kinda figured that's what it was but just wanted to make sure. Especially in the Midwest I know rust is an issue. I've hated this truck since she got it. But thanks for the heads up and I'll look into it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Look in the Problems forum for "Rusted subframe mount repair". I did this repair on my 2003 over a year ago, and it is working with no problems.

You may wish to try this repair, or you may wish to get a different vehicle. I am realistic about my 2003, and don't expect more than a couple more years out of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look in the Problems forum for "Rusted subframe mount repair". I did this repair on my 2003 over a year ago, and it is working with no problems.

You may wish to try this repair, or you may wish to get a different vehicle. I am realistic about my 2003, and don't expect more than a couple more years out of it.
I think I did see your post and may head that way into getting repaired. But idk bro o hate this vehicle with a passion that I may just have to let it go or may have to park where I know cars are known to get hit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have a questions in regards to your write up. In one of your pictures it looks like you added washers. Is there a reason you did this.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I know that my cross section drawing of the repair is a bit hard to make out, but the only washers added were on the top and bottom of the through-bolt that holds everything together. Perhaps you are referring to the 5"×5" steel top plate. This serves to spread the load of the through-bolt over a larger area of floor pan, so that the bolt doesn't pull through the thin metal of the pan.

The original subframe bolt fastened to a threaded sleeve that was welded into the cross member. The sleeve rusted out and pulled away from the cross member. The new point of attachment with my repair is the 5"×5" steel plate on top of the floor pan. You need to have something solid to bolt up to!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that my cross section drawing of the repair is a bit hard to make out, but the only washers added were on the top and bottom of the through-bolt that holds everything together. Perhaps you are referring to the 5"×5" steel top plate. This serves to spread the load of the through-bolt over a larger area of floor pan, so that the bolt doesn't pull through the thin metal of the pan.

The original subframe bolt fastened to a threaded sleeve that was welded into the cross member. The sleeve rusted out and pulled away from the cross member. The new point of attachment with my repair is the 5"×5" steel plate on top of the floor pan. You need to have something solid to bolt up to!
@STMech First hand I want to apologise the picture i saw was posted by someone else and not yours. But with your write up I plan on tackling this soon. Luckily for me. I know a fabricator that can make the u bracket for me...

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
@STMech First hand I want to apologise the picture i saw was posted by someone else and not yours. But with your write up I plan on tackling this soon. Luckily for me. I know a fabricator that can make the u bracket for me...
Lucky you. (y) Post pics to add to our compendium.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I am still driving the Pilot with the repaired connection, it is holding up well. Good luck with your project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts