Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L 264k miles (RIP)
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm by no means even an amateur DIY mechanic. I'm mechanically ignorant. I've done my own work on my Pilot, now I'm trying to do a little work to my wife's 2012 Chevy Sonic, and boy I tell ya hwat, I hate it. I hate that little frigging car. It's a pain in the ass just to change oil and tranny fluid. What's with the stupid little thread coil for the drain plug hole? I haven't even done the tranny fluid yet but I gotta take the whole skid plate off just to get to the plug.

I don't have jack stands or ramps, need em but I'm a poboy, I've just got a short 2 ton jack and my Pilot jack that I'm using so I don't die under there if one jack fails. I despise that car. I'll have Pilots for the rest of my life, even if they look like minivans now. RIP midsize SUV aesthetics.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
343 Posts
I'm by no means even an amateur DIY mechanic. I'm mechanically ignorant. I've done my own work on my Pilot, now I'm trying to do a little work to my wife's 2012 Chevy Sonic, and boy I tell ya hwat, I hate it. I hate that little frigging car. It's a pain in the ass just to change oil and tranny fluid. What's with the stupid little thread coil for the drain plug hole? I haven't even done the tranny fluid yet but I gotta take the whole skid plate off just to get to the plug.

I don't have jack stands or ramps, need em but I'm a poboy, I've just got a short 2 ton jack and my Pilot jack that I'm using so I don't die under there if one jack fails. I despise that car. I'll have Pilots for the rest of my life, even if they look like minivans now. RIP midsize SUV aesthetics.
I kind of feel the same way you do about other vehicles. I used to drive a 97 gmc truck. Everything was a POS on it, always breaking stuff and always fixing failed parts. Then I got the pilot. In the just over two years I’ve owned it, I’ve never had it breakdown, never had any problems with unreliability. AC has always worked, it’s comfy, it’s stylish, all leather, sunroof. And I feel like chevy has gone downhill in the last two decades. Their quality is nonexistent, their workers want raises and go on strike but they do a shit job imo LOL the pilot is easy to work on, and is very predictably fixed I guess? Anyway, good luck with the sonic! I hate working on cars when I pissed at them, so I know how you feel lol

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I worked on a Sonic not long ago. It has its quirks but not as bad as some I've seen. The valve cover is prone to leak oil into the spark plug tubes, watch for that. It has to come off for the timing belt job anyway.

And yes, Aisin makes a timing belt water pump kit for it! 😁

Water pump is external, driven by the drive belt, makes for an easy job.

Reactions: Depleted Islet

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
580 Posts

Buy a set of jack stands.... you can find them cheaper than you think.

Human body Font Ladder Screenshot Machine

Walmart Hyper Tough Jack Stands

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Just wait for the new re-designed Honda Pilot to come out ... toss a couple grand at the dealership for the bumper to bumper 120k coverage ... dont worry about a damn thing when it comes to repairs ... fill and go :)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
Buy a set of jack stands.... you can find them cheaper than you think.

View attachment 146792

Walmart Hyper Tough Jack Stands

WTH, Walmart.ca? These are the only ones available in store.

BLACKJACK Ratcheting Jack Stands - 3 Ton Capacity | Walmart Canada

They do also have this kit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
WTH, Walmart.ca? These are the only ones available in store.

BLACKJACK Ratcheting Jack Stands - 3 Ton Capacity | Walmart Canada

They do also have this kit.

Can't comepare .com to .ca. Nothing the same at all. I got a set at HF in Merica for 19.99-20% off plus a free screwdriver. The exact same ones here were $50.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
Can't comepare .com to .ca. Nothing the same at all. I got a set at HF in Merica for 19.99-20% off plus a free screwdriver. The exact same ones here were $50.
Man, makes me want to break pandemic protocol and go on a cross-border tool & auto parts run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts