Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Piloteers,

About 3 weeks ago I flushed the brake fluid for all 4 wheels, and ever since I have this problem:

After the car drives for a short period of time, it starts pulsating, with the same frequency as that of tire rotation. After the car stops, the front driver side wheel is burning hot, while other wheels are relatively cool. It seems that the brake of that wheel is frozen which generates lots of heat.

My questions for fellow piloteers: if air is trapped in the hose connecting to the front driver wheel, will it lead to the brake freezing? Any other possible causes?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
Were the brake pads replaced recently? Did the slide pins get lubed? An unlubed slide pin could be the cause of the frozen caliper.

Did you follow the proper brake fluid bleeding order? If no, perhaps try again using the correct sequence.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@road2cycle not exactly recently -- the brake pads were changed about 4 months ago. You are spot on about lubing: one slide pin was frozen and it was replaced.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
The order was: RR (right rear), LR, RF (right front), LF (left front).
Wrongo, at least on a 2006. Even my Honda-savvy mechanic seemed unclear on this. According to the Service Manual, start on the front driver's corner and go clockwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hello Piloteers,

About 3 weeks ago I flushed the brake fluid for all 4 wheels, and ever since I have this problem:

After the car drives for a short period of time, it starts pulsating, with the same frequency as that of tire rotation. After the car stops, the front driver side wheel is burning hot, while other wheels are relatively cool. It seems that the brake of that wheel is frozen which generates lots of heat.

My questions for fellow piloteers: if air is trapped in the hose connecting to the front driver wheel, will it lead to the brake freezing? Any other possible causes?
Air in the brake lines isn't the problem. Something in the overheating brake assembly is failing to release when it should. Guide pin is possible. The pads need to slide freely in their tracks, rust is common there. Perhaps caliper piston is jamming.

Your Pilot is 15 years old. Have the calipers ever been replaced? It might be time to replace the front set. Corrosion after 15 years becomes a problem.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Check guide pins for corrosion, free them up and lubricate with a small amount of silicone grease. Check dust sleeves/boots on them. They have to be intact and seated correctly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@STMech Thanks! Calipers are still original! I did replace the mounting bracket with 2 new slide pins last time (4 months ago) when I replaced the rotor and the brake pad -- at that time a slide pin was seized. I guess I will look into replacing the caliper.

@can slide pins are new.

·
Registered
828 Posts
@STMech Thanks! Calipers are still original! I did replace the mounting bracket with 2 new slide pins last time (4 months ago) when I replaced the rotor and the brake pad -- at that time a slide pin was seized. I guess I will look into replacing the caliper.

@can slide pins are new.
I would suggest that you compare quality aftermarket part prices to Honda calipers. I don't think Honda makes their own calipers anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem is fixed after replacing the caliper and bracket. The piston in the old/original one was stuck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts