Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the site! I've had an 04 pilot for 4 yrs and while I love it and it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned it gets bad mpg. I've read through a lot of threads about mpg and people talking about doing this or that I see no one has mentioned that the rear 3 cylinders come down and loop like a J into the main pipe! This is a terrible design and a major restriction! It seems every aftermarket pipe is like this also. I think if it came down into a Y pipe it would help with this mpg issue.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Have you tried cleaning or replacing your EGR valve and cleaning out your EGR passages? That can help with MPG.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I've had an 04 pilot for 4 yrs and while I love it and it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned it gets bad mpg
Welcome @royb ...what kind of bad mpg are you getting? The Pilot is a 4400 lb cruiser and mpg is never going to be economical 25+

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I know it's never gonna be getting 25+. I'm getting anywhere about 19 on the highway. It has 125k miles and I keep all fluids changed, tires aired up, plugs changed and air filter. I even changed the 02 sensor. When I got it it had 74k miles. I've also wondered if maybe the coil units are putting out weak spark but they cost so much I havent wanted to change them all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havent tried the egr yet but I will. I'm about to prepare it for winter so I'll do that then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not getting any misfires but I'm gonna pop this plate off and look and see if maybe these ports are getting plugged and then check the egr.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I think your maintenance plans are going in the right direction. MPG seems good for the first generation Pilots. Any changes in your avg mpg can be a good clue that something is not normal.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Besides a clean Air Filter, thoroughly inspect your plastic air intake tube. These are known to become brittle and crack with age. They can crack on the bottom where we can't see it. Inspect around the clamps and make sure clamps are tight.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Yeah I know it's never gonna be getting 25+. I'm getting anywhere about 19 on the highway. It has 125k miles and I keep all fluids changed, tires aired up, plugs changed and air filter. I even changed the 02 sensor. When I got it it had 74k miles. I've also wondered if maybe the coil units are putting out weak spark but they cost so much I havent wanted to change them all.
What's your cruising speed on the highway? Biggest improvement one can make to MPG is to change the nut behind the steering wheel! 😋

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
65 on the freeway usually. I try and keep it under 2k rpm's
Run the A/C at all? How about the rear defrost? (Both cause the A/C compressor to kick on)
What time(s) of day do you fill up your gas tank? (Best time is right before sunrise, as the gas will be it's densest in the underground holding tank).
Do you use Top Tier gas? What grade/octane you normally put in it?
When was the last time you ran a fuel system/injector cleaner through it?
Also, what was the ambient temperature outside (on average)?
Do you drive with the windows open at all?

As an FYI, the EPA whom defines the "highway" fuel economy as averaging 48.3 mph:

Optimal cruising speed for absolutely best MPG is around 45mph for most vehicles.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Have you checked your vacuum reading? Check for leaks. Vac hoses get old and dry.
Have you replaced your valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube seals and bolt grommets along with a new intake manifold gasket? Again, just trying to seal things up because of age.
New PCV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No leaks. All hoses and everything are in good condition. I run injector cleaner pretty regular and use regular unleaded and dont run the air much

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
19 is right on the money at usual highway speeds. I once got 22mpg on a long run but also once got 17 when I was running 75 for several hours....
You wont get much better unless you slow from 65. Biggest difference you can make is in tire selection. Some tires really do do better than others.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
19 is right on the money at usual highway speeds. I once got 22mpg on a long run but also once got 17 when I was running 75 for several hours....
You wont get much better unless you slow from 65. Biggest difference you can make is in tire selection. Some tires really do do better than others.
But the OP may have a need for speed. He might not want to be on lighter squishy touring tires. :p

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
As it sounds like your Pilot is pretty much getting some of the best gas mileage it can in it's present form, here are some mods (applies to any vehicle, not Pilot specific) that can help improve MPG: 65+ Efficiency Mods

Some additional tips / changes in behavior to squeeze out more MPG: 100+ Hypermiling Tips

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm new to the site! I've had an 04 pilot for 4 yrs and while I love it and it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned it gets bad mpg. I've read through a lot of threads about mpg and people talking about doing this or that I see no one has mentioned that the rear 3 cylinders come down and loop like a J into the main pipe! This is a terrible design and a major restriction! It seems every aftermarket pipe is like this also. I think if it came down into a Y pipe it would help with this mpg issue.
There's a garage here that advertises a "induction cleaning service"
Anything to this?.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
There's a garage here that advertises a "induction cleaning service"
Anything to this?.
Depends on the service. If it is one of the power clean services such as BG or the one Honda uses then yes they can be helpful. They inject the cleaner into the engine under pressure. With BG there is a follow up can that is poured into the gas tank at the first fill up after the service.

If it is just slowly pouring a can of some cleaner such as Seafoam, you can do that yourself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts