Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after 14 yrs., my original alternator finally quit at 268K miles... See photo. Looking for some help to I.D. a replacement part #, for the plastic wiring harness stay that sits on top of the metal alternator bracket... The part # for the metal bracket is 31113-P8E-A00, but does not appear to include the plastic harness stay clamp to secure the terminal wires to the alternator bracket... It's possible that this was only on the '03-'04 model years... Any takers? :|

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
pilot 2004

You are so lucky if that's the only problem you've had. But obviously honda will tell you to use their parts, I order parts from Rock Auto. Double check fuse box cause when I had to replace my alternator, it was the fuse box melting which caused the alternator to burn out some how. If you have not done this yet but google 2004 honda pilot recalls. It's interesting.

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
It's quite possible that there are parts you will need to transfer from the original to the replacement.
Once you get the original on the bench and compare to the replacement, then you'll know. Denso is the factory supplier.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If you can afford it stick with OEM no way in hell I can guarantee an aftermarket replacement will NOT last as long as 268k ! ... That's amazing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Rocky. I hear you. I wish the original harness clamp could've been saved, but I wasn't able to salvage it when removing the alt. bracket... The bolt running thru it essentially turned to powder when I put a socket on it and so had to be cut off, which then rendered the harness clamp unusable... Appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you can afford it stick with OEM no way in hell I can guarantee an aftermarket replacement will NOT last as long as 268k ! ... That's amazing
I would say it's unlikely that the Pilot will last another 268k. My guess is any old off-the-shelf alternator will last as long as the vehicle's remaining life.

·
Banned
142 Posts
if you can afford it stick with oem no way in hell i can guarantee an aftermarket replacement will not last as long as 268k ! ... that's amazing
No.....for a Pilot.....that is average.....

I would say it's unlikely that the Pilot will last another 268k. My guess is any old off-the-shelf alternator will last as long as the vehicle's remaining life.
I would not agree with that statement.....I Plan to put 500,000 miles on my Pilot.....

Time will tell if it is possible.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
"FYI" - Just a quick update, for any DIY folks still following this thread...

My alternator replacement now fully completed with a locally rebuilt Denso unit, and running like a champ. I also changed the serpentine belt- (broken as a result of the alternator pulley bearing failing when the original alternator blew.)

A couple of important points:

***CEL, intermittent idle, & P0505- (IACV) code initially thrown on 1st start, after replacing the alternator- (not an issue prior to alt. replacement) CEL then cleared by itself- (resumed normal idle) after idle re-learn performed. Lesson learned. Don't forget "idle re-learn" after finishing your alternator replacement! I'm probably due for a throttle body cleaning as well.

The following links, tips, and attachments I found to be truly helpful in the replacement process:

* '04 step-by-step alt. replacement w/photos
Change Alternator Honda Pilot: 15 Steps (with Pictures)

* idle re-learn procedure
YouTube

* Schley #10950 tensioner tool from toolsid.com-($40) was perfect for serpentine belt replacement!
Schley Products 10950 - Serpentine Belt Tensioner Tool - TOOLSiD.com

* belt routing diagram attached below

* found new OEM harness stay clamp- (about $5.00) that attaches to the alternator bracket- (part #32131-P8A-A00)
Honda Parts at Honda Parts Now | Genuine OEM Honda Auto Parts

Hope this helps!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts