Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
considering it's all the same Honda is putting out these days ... want a Pilot for oversize users ...no problem buy a Odyssey.. Shop a lot at Home depot or other hardware stores no problem buy the Pilot that has the cargo space called the Ridgeline ... don't want the large cargo doors ? buy the regular pilot... want something to make you feel good while you travel over grass convincing your off roading ..buy a passport.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
My family has had the pilot since about 90k, and it was well maintained before we bought it. We have done all the maintenance religiously, including the last timing belt/pump at just under 100k.
Considering that the vehicle has been well maintained...religiously maintained even...I'd keep it. I have a 2005 Pilot with 124k miles, and in another 75k miles, I won't hesitate to keep it going. It'll be due this coming spring for another TB....will be 7 years and almost exactly 100,000 miles.....it will be due again after that at about 240K miles, and I'll do it then assuming it's been as flawless as it has been the last few years.

This is my first Pilot, but the car is a beast.

Previously, I owned a 1993 Honda Accord that I got with about 110k in 2001 and it had 280k on it when I got rid of it in 2016. It still ran great, but needed brakes, rotors, calipers, new exhaust/muffler, a headlight was out, a taillight was out, and it had an AC leak...and probably some other minor things I'm forgetting. I'm not a mechanic, so I was looking at over $1k in repairs on a 23 year old car that was pushing 300k miles and was also rusting around the back tires (common for 80s/90s Hondas). So I finally threw in the towell and bought my 05 Pilot and I traded the Accord to a Honda mechanic I know...and he did about $200-$300 worth of oil changes and fluid changes on my Pilot. Almost a free car for him and a couple hundred bucks saved for me. Win/win. He worked for a dealer and was able to gather the necessary parts over the course of several months. He eventually got the car fixed up for his sister in law, and I saw it on the road a couple of days ago. It has to be well over 300k now...maybe 320k.

Before that, I had an 88 civic that had about 265k miles on it when I got rid of it...and it still ran great.

Long story short, if you keep up with maintenance on Hondas, at least in my experiences, 300k is quite realistic. I often regret getting rid of the Accord with 280k....and honestly, I wish I had kept the civic too. I think I could have gotten to 350K+ with both of them, had I gambled on the last few costly repairs. But for the accord.....what it needed in repairs was like 10% of what the Pilot cost....that only had 50K. I really want to get at least 300K out of my Pilot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Greetings
Just had TB and Pump done again at 220k. Running smoothly and glad I can hope to get another few years out of it. The shop did a transfusion of transmission fluid with machine. Is that not a good method??
Thanks.
PC

·
Registered
543 Posts
Greetings
Just had TB and Pump done again at 220k. Running smoothly and glad I can hope to get another few years out of it. The shop did a transfusion of transmission fluid with machine. Is that not a good method??
Thanks.
PC
Everything that I have heard discourages the use of transmission flush machines on the Pilot. Repeated drain and fill is recommended by Honda. That said, if your Pilot is still shifting cleanly, then perhaps the power flush did no harm on your vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2004, bought it with 140k ish' miles on it, trans went out in a couple months and had to fork out the dough to a shop for that one as it is my family's primary. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic by trade but it's all nuts and bolts. Honestly I watched every YouTube video on every repair I've done on my pilot, there is always a different way to skin a cat. When I did my TB it felt as if I knew what I was doing, one thing that helped me was a tip from YouTube to break loose the main crank pulley using long extensions and a jack stand to support the force, worked great but don't use harbor freight extensions, trust me. Took 6 hrs with no power tools, just started in the morning and didn't think about the time. All front end suspension components have now officially been replaced the last being the sway bar bushings, not so bad having the right tool. Struts shocks , brakes, AC flux compaciter thingy up under the passenger side dash, EGR plenum plate cleaning, ect...
Added coil spring air bags
Change my trans filter every 6 months using OEM ATF.
Iv been fighting the urge to sell and buy a new, but every time I have to work on it I feel Honda designed it to be easily serviceable. As the saying goes, the devil you know is easier to deal with than the devil you don't.
And even the good parts are reasonably cheap.
Let's keep sharing our experiences and keep them rolling, I don't want a new car payment.
Thanks all

21 - 26 of 26 Posts