·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
MG Pilot said:
Why do you suppose there is such a difference in price and application???

03 Instructions

04 Instructions
Looks like the '04 is a powered converter, not a pasive one.

This is a nice thing but usually not needed.

But definetly nice!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is a powered converter?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
MG Pilot said:
What is a powered converter?
The purpose of a converter is to combine the signals from separate Park, Brake, and Turn signal lights (as most modern vehicles have) into Park and Brake/Turn signal lights (as all 4wire trailers, and most pre-1970 vehicles had)

Most common converters combine the signal and draw the opperating current for the trailer lights from the vehicles Park, Brake, and Turn light circuits.

A powered converter uses the Park, Brake and Turn light connections to derive the apropriate signals for the trailer lights (same as all converters) but provides the power to the trailer lights from a separate source.

These converters allow the use of more lights on the trailer.
The also don't stress the electrical system of the vehicles as much Usually this is not a problem, but it can change the speed of turn indicators, or illuminate a "Light Bulb Out" warning, or in a worst case can cause the Park, Brake or Turn signal fuse to blow.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I'm wondering if the reason they switched to the powered converter is because the 03 passive converter was fusing out too often.

I just installed the harness on mine, but have yet to use it. Has your fused??

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
MG Pilot said:
So I'm wondering if the reason they switched to the powered converter is because the 03 passive converter was fusing out too often.

I just installed the harness on mine, but have yet to use it. Has your fused??
I have not had a problem, but have only used it for a brake light receiver plug, and my cargo platform which has only one Brake/Park/Turn bulb on each side.

My only Range Rover required changing the Park light fuse up one size to tow a large U-Haul Trailer. I think it had 4 park lights on each side.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 4X8 w/ one running light on each side and the brake/turn lights in the back. Do you think I will have any problems?

Or, should I disconnect the running lights on the side?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
MG Pilot said:
I have a 4X8 w/ one running light on each side and the brake/turn lights in the back. Do you think I will have any problems?

Or, should I disconnect the running lights on the side?
I would hope not. It the converter ('03 style) can not run a standard 4 wwire trailer, Honda should not have sold it that way.

By the way, about 90% of the converters used (maybe more) are non-powered, so don't worry too much.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, after I installed the harness, I really did not see any need to clip the "ears" on the converter. It would have fit regardless-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts