Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 Pilot just decided to not start. Rapid clicking from starter. Started with a jump, drove about 15 minutes, would not start again, Same clicking noise.

Battery less than a year old, Alternator less than 2 years old. Starter, now brand new, same clicking noise as the old removed one.

battery has over 12 volts cold resting, starter hot lead has about 12 volts as well. not sure what else to look at with the cheap multimeter I have. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the vehicle can be jump started and the battery terminals are not lose, it is most likely the battery. Even a year old battery can have a cell go bad. Go to the place that you bought the battery and have it tested.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If it was a Ford I would say that is a solenoid issue if battery and starter are good. Do these have a separate solenoid or is it integrated with starter?
Solenoid is separate just like our Ford's and GM's bang (**TAP**) the bugger to turn over :) ..what is nice about Honda is that they sell you the option online to rebuild the starter so you are not using a aftermarket refurbished unit. They have the units broken down part by part to buy.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
03 Pilot just decided to not start. Rapid clicking from starter. Started with a jump, drove about 15 minutes, would not start again, Same clicking noise.
Battery less than a year old, Alternator less than 2 years old. Starter, now brand new, same clicking noise as the old removed one.
battery has over 12 volts cold resting, starter hot lead has about 12 volts as well. not sure what else to look at with the cheap multimeter I have. Any Ideas?
Are the voltages within the ranges shown in the following video both when the engine is running and when it is off?

YouTube

1 - 6 of 6 Posts