Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I became a member of this page just for this question because I have looked everywhere else and I'm finally at a loss. My 03 pilot has been in the family since new. It's been great has 255,000 miles and counting. But now it won't start. Here's a little background. Has a good battery only about 2 years old and I just went and had it tested and it tests fine. I replaced the starter a year ago and also pulled it out and had it tested. It was also fine. At first I thought the battery was dying too fast. One day after driving it everywhere I parked it and 3 hours later went out and it tried to crank then stopped and clicked rapidly like it was dead. So I hooked a battery tender to it for 3 days. Still would do the same thing. So I took a ratchet and spun the crank to make sure it wasn't locked up. It was not. That's when I took the starter out expecting it to be bad. Nope it was fine too. I put it all back together and it starts fine. Park it in my garage it sits for 3 days and now it's back to the trying to crank but can't and a fully charged battery. Could this be my starter even though it tests fine. This is a good time to mention I'm colorblind and CANNOT mess with wireing at all so I'm hoping it's nothing like that. But all fuses and relays are also good I can check those. I'm just looking for help. I was ready to finally sell this thing and now I can't because it doesn't want to start. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Generally, when a starter clicks like that, it is a weak battery, a bad connection at the battery or the starter, or a failed starter/starter solenoid. The clicking generally means power is getting to the starter, and that rules out ignition switch, as that sends a low power signal to the relay.

If the problem is intermittent, I'd suspect a poor/corroded/oily connection at the starter or battery terminal, a bad ground strap connection, or a failing starter. Starters can test good, when a solenoid is intermittently failing. My roommate used to carry a hammer when his would click, he'd go bang on the solenoid a couple times, and it would crank right up. It did this for years. So I'd start by ensuring your connections are spotlessly clean, oil free, and not corroded. Inspect the positive cable at the terminal, ensure it is not corroded and failing at the terminal connection. Check the ground connection at the negative battery terminal AND the connection to the body.

If you get NO CLICK at all from the starter solenoid when this fails intermittently, then the ignition switch might be failing. They are inexpensive from RockAuto.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
2,192 Posts
Boom posted some good items for you to check out.

I can’t recall if a failing engine immobilizer would also cause the symptoms your Pilot is experiencing. When you turn the key to the II position the immobilizer icon should light up for a few seconds then turn off. I know you said you’re color blind so if you can’t see it post a video and we’ll tell you if it’s acting correctly. If you see the dash icon blinking something is wrong with the immobilizer system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally, when a starter clicks like that, it is a weak battery, a bad connection at the battery or the starter, or a failed starter/starter solenoid. The clicking generally means power is getting to the starter, and that rules out ignition switch, as that sends a low power signal to the relay.

If the problem is intermittent, I'd suspect a poor/corroded/oily connection at the starter or battery terminal, a bad ground strap connection, or a failing starter. Starters can test good, when a solenoid is intermittently failing. My roommate used to carry a hammer when his would click, he'd go bang on the solenoid a couple times, and it would crank right up. It did this for years. So I'd start by ensuring your connections are spotlessly clean, oil free, and not corroded. Inspect the positive cable at the terminal, ensure it is not corroded and failing at the terminal connection. Check the ground connection at the negative battery terminal AND the connection to the body.

If you get NO CLICK at all from the starter solenoid when this fails intermittently, then the ignition switch might be failing. They are inexpensive from RockAuto.
Yea the ignition switch isn't the greatest but only with one of the keys. I habe 2 regular keys and the valet key. The valet key still works perfect and 1 regular key but the one I usually use if u don't leave it in the ignition it's a real fight to get it to turn when u 're insert it. I think that's more to do with the key than the ignition.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome @Chuey ....My take on your starting issue: Had a similar intermittent starting issue (no-start) with my X3 last year. Tow truck was scheduled to take the X3 to the $$$ bimmer dealer. I searched under the X3 again and found a hidden ground strap and as soon as I jumpered the bad ground strap the X3 started like a champ. Next I cancelled the tow truck immediately and replaced the ground strap with an old battery cable and the X3 has had no more issues. I've become a firm believer that a good positive is only as good as a good ground. Check ALL ground connections!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I can’t recall if a failing engine immobilizer would also cause the symptoms your Pilot is experiencing. When you turn the key to the II position the immobilizer icon should light up for a few seconds then turn off. I know you said you’re color blind so if you can’t see it post a video and we’ll tell you if it’s acting correctly. If you see the dash icon blinking something is wrong with the immobilizer system.
In my (initially head-scratching) experience, a problem with the immobilizer will get you a good strong crank, just no start.

I would first suspect a loose or corroded cable, and yes, that definitely includes grounds.

Otherwise, starter solenoid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boom posted some good items for you to check out.

Appreciate that. Yea I know which one your talking about and I can see that it's green. Just depends what shade something is weather or not I can see it. And yes it's working correctly. I'm leaning towards a battery or starter. Even though both are fairly new. It turns over about a half a turn then just can't keep it going. I know the battery is fully charged. But it's almost like there is a huge load on the starter and it can't turn the engine over and that what's causing the clicking. That's why I was worried it locked up.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Do check grounding points and battery clamps/cables before you throw any money at the parts counter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciate that. Yea I know which one your talking about and I can see that it's green. Just depends what shade something is weather or not I can see it. And yes it's working correctly. I'm leaning towards a battery or starter. Even though both are fairly new. It turns over about a half a turn then just can't keep it going. I know the battery is fully charged. But it's almost like there is a huge load on the starter and it can't turn the engine over and that what's causing the clicking. That's why I was worried it locked up.
Actually all. I cleaned up some grounds and left it to charge on the tender for a few days and today when I hooked the battery back up the green security key icon no longer flashes or comes on at all. Might be the immobilizer now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With all three of your keys?
Actually the idcstor doesn't even come on its like it doesn't even know it has the immobiliser. And yes with all 3 of my keys. Something to note the indicator lights don't light up anymore when trying to start either. Park reverse neutral and etc no light on for any of them when I turn the my to on. But on accessory the red light under the park indicator comes on but still no flashing no nothing from the immobiliser icon. Won't even come on now.

·
Registered
601 Posts
So, can you turn your headlights on? Horn? When you attempt to start it with the key, no click, no crank, no nothing?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Just a thought: If it's not the starter solenoid, maybe it's the neutral safety switch AKA the transmission range switch.

Honda Pilot won’t start wife abandoned!

If you're absolutely sure all none of your cables are loose or corroded. Double-check them all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, can you turn your headlights on? Horn? When you attempt to start it with the key, no click, no crank, no nothing?
Headlights work horn works but yes exactly no crank no nothing. It's stops everything in the cab like always but that's it. And no I tried neutral also. No crank nothing.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
2,192 Posts
If you have a voltmeter what is the battery voltage?

Did you double check all battery positive and ground/chassis/negative cables?

Did you check that no fuses are blown?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey everyone. Unfortunately I have more bad news than good. I still don't know exactly what's wrong with my pilot. But I found a tid bit that's odd and wondered if anyone has encountered it before. Remember how the immobiliser icon would not come on at all. Well if I plug my obd2 scanner in (just plug it in and do nothing else) the icon comes back and the car tries to turn over. If I unplug the scanner it won't do anything again. And I now found out my shift solenoid A is bad so that's throwing a code.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Do you have, or has there ever been, an aftermarket alarm system installed?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts