Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first time posting on this forum so I don't know how in depth anyone would be able to answer my question, but I have an 03 Pilot EX-L and I don't if my car came factory with fog lights or if the previous owner decided to install them, but I have what seem like factory fog lights as well as some sort of front bumper guard if that makes any sense. I want to take off that front bumper guard but still retain the fog lights. I know there are pilots with fog lights but no front bumper guard and people have also taken pilots without factory fog lights and installed them. However I don't know of anyone having the front bumper guard and going to just fog lights. Does anyone know if I can just buy the different plastic Pieces that cover the hole in the bumper or if there's no solution cause as far as I can tell If I took off the plastic front bumper guard off it would essentially be the same thing as a normal Honda with fog lights other than the fact that I would need to get different plastic trim pieces to cover the hole because since I have the bumper guard the cover pieces are different. Sorry for the long post I just want to make sure I explain things as best I can which hopefully I did. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer and hopefully someone can help. thanks!!

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Can you post a photo of the front of your Pilot to show exactly what configuration you have?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,844 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

A picture of your current setup will definitely be helpful. I‘m not familiar with the bumper guard that you referenced.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
When you add that guard without the fog lights it looks silly, all you see is paint on the bumper.

The biggest issue is going to be parts availability.

Complete instructions on installations of these and many other parts (some probably NLA) Honda online store : 2003 Pilot Accessory installation (DIY) instructions

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Some models of the 2003 Pilot did come with factory fog lights. From the photo posted I suspect that the guard may be an add on. The only way I know of to tell where the fog lights are mounted and what needs to be done to get rid of the guard and keep the fog lights is to crawl under the vehicle, safely, and see where the lights are mounted and where and how the guard is mounted.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
When you add that guard without the fog lights it looks silly, all you see is paint on the bumper.

The biggest issue is going to be parts availability.

Complete instructions on installations of these and many other parts (some probably NLA) Honda online store : 2003 Pilot Accessory installation (DIY) instructions
You mean like this?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Does anyone know if I can just buy the different plastic Pieces that cover the hole in the bumper or if there's no solution cause as far as I can tell
Once you remove that bumper guard then you will find out whether there is just a hole for the wires or a hole for the fog lights. In either case check out EBay as there are some OEM style trim pieces you can buy that might help. Why are you removing the bumper guard?
633B6667-5223-44E1-9E22-709845F231CA.jpeg
633B6667-5223-44E1-9E22-709845F231CA.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mean like this?
Not quite. I would keep the fog lights cause they're already installed and there's a hole in the bumper. I was talking about removing that whole black guard and trying to get it to look like this.

The only issue I am concerned about is when I take the bumper guard off and I'm just left with the fog lights and hole in the bumper will I be able to just buy the different trim pieces like in the picture or if there's issues with that like potentially the mounting holes for those pieces not lining up with the brackets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once you remove that bumper guard then you will find out whether there is just a hole for the wires or a hole for the fog lights.
I know there's a pretty decent hole for the fog lights I'm just not sure if those trim pieces will just fit right up or if there's other modifications I need to do to the hole or the brackets to get them to fit. there was already a trim piece installed that fir in with the bumper guard which I removed so I could see what was back there, but the mounting holes may be different for the ones that just cover the hole in the bumper if that makes sense.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
Take a look at the link to the dealer. Honda's installation instructions are there. That will show you just how many new holes are needed to mount that "overrider" . It may not be to your liking, but holes are worse.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I think there will be at least 10 mounting holes that will need to be covered if you remove the OEM bumper guard. I’m not a fan of that piece but I would leave it on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think there will be at least 10 mounting holes that will need to be covered if you remove the OEM bumper guard. I’m not a fan of that piece but I would leave it on.
I completely overlooked the fact that it was probably mounted straight into the bumper. Would anyone happen to know how bad it looks with all the holes cause I planning to put some kind of bull bar on the car so maybe it wouldn't look too bad? Obviously the mounting holes all the way on the outside of the fog lights might not get covered up by the trim pieces, but maybe overall it wouldn't look to horrible. But maybe it would I'm just trying to consider all the options.

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
Josh Morgan just curious, what about the existing piece do you not like? There are options such as wrapping it in a carbon fiber wrap that would change the look but not leave you with a bunch of exposed holes in the bumper. You could even do carbon fiber wrap on other exterior portions such as the side mirror housings parts of the rear area etc. if you chose to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Josh Morgan just curious, what about the existing piece do you not like? There are options such as wrapping it in a carbon fiber wrap that would change the look but not leave you with a bunch of exposed holes in the bumper. You could even do carbon fiber wrap on other exterior portions such as the side mirror housings parts of the rear area etc. if you chose to.
I actually don't really mind the piece itself, but rather what it's stopping me from doing. I just moved to the mountains recently and we get a lot of fog here and have a lot of roads with zero street lights for miles on end. My plan was to add some kind of light bar which I know has been done before. but I'd personally rather not drill into any bumper pieces if at all possible. My idea was to replace the front bumper guard with a bull bar which has built in mounting so I don't have to worry about drilling into anything and even if I did I'd rather drill into the bull bar versus the car. I've also been considering doing led conversion for the headlights and fog lights which would probably help on the dark roads, but I have friends who have new cars with led lights all around and even they're having trouble seeing in the fog at times which is why I've been considering a light bar.

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
If you are dealing with fog then the type of light is more important than the amount of light. I would suggest you either put in dedicated fog light bulbs that produce a yellow light, put in an after market fog lights with a yellow lens or for a cheap and easy fix get specially deigned yellow film designed for fog lights.

Adding more lights, especially white lights, for fog will reduce you visibility in the fog. If you have ever turned on your bright lights in fog you understand what I mean. The droplets that make up fog act like minuscule mirrors reflecting some of the light back at the driver.

The other thing to consider is the laws of the state you have moved too. "No state explicitly forbids mounting additional lights on a vehicle's roof, hood or roll-bar for use off road. Some local jurisdictions regulate how high the lights may be mounted, but most are fine as long as they're under 13 feet 6 inches. In general, you can mount as many lights as you please wherever you please provided that you never activate them on public roads. The only exception to this rule are swivel-mounted spot-lights, which may or may not be legal in your county or parish.? (1)

(1)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are dealing with fog then the type of light is more important than the amount of light. I would suggest you either put in dedicated fog light bulbs that produce a yellow light, put in an after market fog lights with a yellow lens or for a cheap and easy fix get specially deigned yellow film designed for fog lights.

Adding more lights, especially white lights, for fog will reduce you visibility in the fog. If you have ever turned on your bright lights in fog you understand what I mean. The droplets that make up fog act like minuscule mirrors reflecting some of the light back at the driver.

The other thing to consider is the laws of the state you have moved too. "No state explicitly forbids mounting additional lights on a vehicle's roof, hood or roll-bar for use off road. Some local jurisdictions regulate how high the lights may be mounted, but most are fine as long as they're under 13 feet 6 inches. In general, you can mount as many lights as you please wherever you please provided that you never activate them on public roads. The only exception to this rule are swivel-mounted spot-lights, which may or may not be legal in your county or parish.? (1)

(1)
Yea the Lights I already have in there are specifically for fog but they just don't seem to do the job. Also the extra lights I get would be for fog specifically as well. I completely understand that more light isn't always the solution, but considering the dedicated fog lights I already have aren't working as well as I need them to I don't know of any other solutions. If you have any ideas though I would definitely appreciate them.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
I was contemplating replacing my fog lights with yellow bulb for better light diffraction, but instead went with the super easy stick on yellow Lamin-X films. I was dubious before and at first, but I'm super satisfied.
  1. Their yellow light really is better in the fog.
  2. Easy to install.
  3. Look good.
  4. Have lasted perfectly for a few years now.
Yellow fog light bulbs

·
Super Moderator
4,298 Posts
I was contemplating replacing my fog lights with yellow bulb for better light diffraction, but instead went with the super easy stick on yellow Lamin-X films. I was dubious before and at first, but I'm super satisfied.
  1. Their yellow light really is better in the fog.
  2. Easy to install.
  3. Look good.
  4. Have lasted perfectly for a few years now.
Yellow fog light bulbs

Same product I just put on. Lamin-X does not have a precut for a 2003 Pilot, at least I did not find it, however they do offer sheet film or with a quick measurement of the fog lights they may have something in that size or one slightly larger that would work. It was super easy to trim the tabs off with an Exact knife.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I completely overlooked the fact that it was probably mounted straight into the bumper. Would anyone happen to know how bad it looks with all the holes
Check out the pic. There are 8 mounting holes in the front bumper and 4 on the bumper cover. That front lower trim (plastic bumper guard) is probably discontinued and hard-to-find like the elusive fender flares. Covering up those holes could be challenging.
319B76D3-E6D4-47CB-B14D-5553232AAD0E.jpeg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts