Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Honda dealer called me today that My Silver Pilot Ex-L +Navi is here. But I am still deciding to go for 03 MDX or 03 Pilot.
Here is the comparison:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Pilot Ex-L Navi       03 MDX Base + Navi(Maybe???)
with Roof Rack
FULL Size spare       Rear Splash Guards $89.80
Running Board,        Running Boards $626.00
Wheel Lock,               Base Carrier Kit $272.80
Rear Splash Guard.        Wheel Locks
Tailgate Deflector       Tailgate Deflector $425
Frog Light.       Full Size Spare ???
3 yrs warranty       4 yrs
-----------------------------------------------------------
Total Pilot MDX
$34200       $38600 + Full Size Spare and
                   2000 more if want Navi
In summary, I have to pay 6k more for the equipment and option
I wanted for MDX. Is it worth the wait or 03 MDX or I should just get the Pilot?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think you should go for the Pilot. You basically get the same thing for less, and if you want a sunroof you could probably get your honda dealer to install one. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Ummmm ...

That's kind of a strange question to ask in a PILOT forum ...

ummm ... yeah ... buy the MDX ... :rolleyes:

PrG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Pilot is here now.. If I cancel it, and wait for 03 MDX in Oct for the vapored Base+Navi Model, and have to live with Touring+Navi for $40k. I will just buy the ML320+M1+M5+3rd row seats+Navi for the same price. $37k for Base+Navi I can live with that. But 40k+ for the T+Navi is tooo much...

:eek:

·
Registered
289 Posts
EGO v

utility. MHO you get almost as much with the Pilot as you do with the MDX. I think the MDX is a little more luxurious and has a more prestigeous name. As I read your post, it appears you will end up paying 5,000-6,000 more for the MDX. If you think it is worth it to be seen in the X go for it. If you would rather have the same utility; but not the ego enhancer, buy the Pilot, invest the rest in something and earn enough over the next 10 years to buy a new Pilot when you need it. I know it doesn't sound nearly as much fun; but probably is more practical.:eek:

·
Registered
263 Posts
IMO, the difference here boils down to (1) level of luxury, (2) level of utility (in your view, taking into account seating/cargo options), and (3) new options/capabilities in 03 MDX.

Remember that with Acura, you pay more for maintenance and repairs as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
IT'S UP TO YOU!!!

I've driven both vehicles and must say that for the $$$ I'm glad the Pilot won out.
As they say, "to each his own"and I hope you make the right decision.

p.s. Buy the Pilot!!!! :2:

·
Registered
176 Posts
based on???

hop23 said:
...with Acura, you pay more for maintenance and repairs as well.
Doesn't Acura have a LONGER warranty? Aren't they built in the same plant, with the same parts?

I'm confused...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I shopped the X and chose the Pilot

This is clearly a question with no "right" answer. As many have said before me it comes down to personal preference.

Mine is a perspective that I haven't seen expressed before. So, for what it's worth, I shopped both cars and, when I drove away with the Pilot, felt confident that I had not spent too much money. I'm not sure I would have had this same secure feeling if I had bought the X.

·
Registered
316 Posts
6 G's difference???? Man that's alot of trips to McDonald's.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: based on???

renov8r said:

Doesn't Acura have a LONGER warranty? Aren't they built in the same plant, with the same parts?

I'm confused...
You are correct that Acura has a longer warranty. However, based on info on the Pilot, Odyssey, and MDX sites, the nationwide average labor rate for Honda is $70/hr, and for Acura it's 10% higher at $77/hr.

For parts that are common, the price SHOULD be the same, but this is not guaranteed. For unique parts, I would generally expect Acura to cost more. This is generally true for luxury brands. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Perhaps Tim can give his perspective?

·
Registered
162 Posts
We also shopped both cars and to be honest, my husband and I did not agree on which one to get. He wanted the MDX with the Bose sound system and I wanted the Pilot which I felt was much more user friendly and a better value. I know that this is going to sound stupid, but it was the little things that immediately won me over--a place to put my pocketbook, bigger cup holders and there were more of them, DVD for the kids and it was about $5,000 cheaper. I guess it depends on who will be driving it and what it is going to be used for. In my family, I will be the one mainly driving it. I will be picking up kids from school, carpooling, sports activities, food shopping, etc. so for me, all of the reasons listed above were a BIG deal. However, if you are going to be the only one driving it or you just have one or two kids, go for what makes you comfortable.

I just couldn't, in my mind, rationalize spending an extra $5,000 just because the MDX had Bose which was my husband's primary reason for wanting it along with the fact, it was a little cushier. With three kids, their friends, a dog and weekly trips to the dump, which one would you have picked?::D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Common sense would dictate that if you can get the same thing for equal or less money than that is what you do. However, egos and other human factor lead people to make non-common sense decisions. That doesn't make it wrong, just less sensical.

However, there are serious style differences. I try to make common sense my primary decision making factor, but I'm not buyng an Aztek or an Avalanche not matter how sensible it is. Those things are freakin ugly and I won't have one. So sometimes, common sense has to lose out to other factors.

Everybody has their own opinions and thoughts on style. I personally do not find the MDX all that attractive. I think it looks like a squashed SUV and I hate its front end and the steeply slanted rear glass. To me, it looks like a tall station wagon.

Personally, I think the Pilot is a much better looking vehicle, and while I considered the MDX, I would most likely have bought the RX-300 instead (had there not been the Pilot), because I like its looks much better and I think that it offers all of the same benefits for the same price range. I didn't like the Highlander at all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd bet the 03 MDX takes a bump in price also, +20hp is going to cost you (and you won't really notice it)...+ there will not be a Base+Navi MDX in 03, it will only be available in the Touring (+ $2600 more)...+ You probably will have to wait well past Oct since they don't build them until ~Oct 1 and will probably be waitlisted.

Pilot is looking more and more like a bargain (and its hard too find an unhappy pilot owner).

If you want to hit your pricepoint and still get an MDX you better pick up one of the remaining 02's

ps...I thought the bose stereo was a reason not to buy the MDX :2:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Are you saying that the Pilot has a 'full size spare' ? I don't think so.

Either way you can't go wrong -- Pilot or the MDX. Same engine, built out of the same plant.

You probably missed one more difference. MDX --> 7 seats but the Pilot --> 8 seats (with seatbelts and head rests). Not that 8 adults can travel comfortably but the possiblity exists.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

2003Pilot said:
My Honda dealer called me today that My Silver Pilot Ex-L +Navi is here. But I am still deciding to go for 03 MDX or 03 Pilot.
Here is the comparison:
Pilot Ex-L Navi       03 MDX Base + Navi(Maybe???)
with Roof Rack
FULL Size spare       Rear Splash Guards $89.80
Running Board,        Running Boards $626.00
Wheel Lock,               Base Carrier Kit $272.80
Rear Splash Guard.        Wheel Locks
Tailgate Deflector       Tailgate Deflector $425
Frog Light.       Full Size Spare ???
3 yrs warranty       4 yrs
-----------------------------------------------------------
Total Pilot MDX
$34200       $38600 + Full Size Spare and
                   2000 more if want Navi
In summary, I have to pay 6k more for the equipment and option
I wanted for MDX. Is it worth the wait or 03 MDX or I should just get the Pilot?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one:eek: I say make your basis comparisons, go drive them both, and pick one:22:I chose the MDX with absolutely no regrets:29:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The dealer told me Ex-L Navi comes with full size spare.

I will try to find out tomorrow from the dealer.

·
Registered
173 Posts
As reported earlier, the spare tires on all Pilots are "full-diameter" but NOT "full-size."

Smaller-diameter spares can not be used on either the Pilot or the MDX since the faster rotation of the smaller spare tire (when installed) would falsely activate the VTM-4 system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pilot EX-L comes with dounut tire, same as MDX. I wonder why they are cheap in these area. Even HighLander comes with full size..

:(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts