Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 Honda Pilot has been having this issue where the “D” light that represents Drive will turn off for a split second while I’m driving and the A/T temp light goes on but for literally a half a second like blink and you’ll miss it. For that time that the light goes on I lose acceleration but then the “D” light comes back on and everything is fine no check engine light or anything. Has anyone else experienced this?
So far we’ve replaced the
-spark plugs
-A/T temp sensor
-egr valve

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
And done a 3x ATF drain & fill, preferably with full synthetic ATF such as Valvoline Maxlife ATF, and driving it a few miles between each D & F?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And done a 3x ATF drain & fill, preferably with full synthetic ATF such as Valvoline Maxlife ATF, and driving it a few miles between each D & F?
I just got the car in July and have only personally driven it 2,000 miles it came with 118k miles already on it we checked the trans fluid and it seemed to be in good condition so we just topped it off. I do not know of any previous maintenance done be the previous owner because it was bought through a third party private dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you recommending flushing the ATF reservoir out by doing drain and fill 3x and driving it for a bit between each drain and fill?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Unrelated to your current trouble and not knowing what maintanance has been done....
My #1 priority would be inspecting the timing belt and try to establish when or if ever the timing belt water pump job has ever been performed.
Your current trouble...
Do you have a check engine light?
It could be the low ATF pressure that some of the oldest Pilots experience.

Reactions: Jramos03pilot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unrelated to your current trouble and not knowing what maintanance has been done....
My #1 priority would be inspecting the timing belt and try to establish when or if ever the timing belt water pump job has ever been performed.
Your current trouble...
Do you have a check engine light?
It could be the low ATF pressure that some of the oldest Pilots experience.
No check engine but thank you for the advice I will definitely look into it.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Are you recommending flushing the ATF reservoir out by doing drain and fill 3x and driving it for a bit between each drain and fill?
Yes, but not a flush, just a simple drain & fill, as per Honda's protocol.

Then do all the other fluids, including VTM-4 (OEM only, there).

What fluid to put in the rear end?

Then timing belt, etc. (Still waiting for this to be made a sticky, perhaps replacing long-gone member @Busabos77 's build thread.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, but not a flush, just a simple drain & fill, as per Honda's protocol.

Then do all the other fluids, including VTM-4 (OEM only, there).

What fluid to put in the rear end?

Then timing belt, etc. (Still waiting for this to be made a sticky, perhaps replacing long-gone member @Busabos77 's build thread.)

Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
My 03 Honda Pilot has been having this issue where the “D” light that represents Drive will turn off for a split second while I’m driving and the A/T temp light goes on but for literally a half a second like blink and you’ll miss it. For that time that the light goes on I lose acceleration but then the “D” light comes back on and everything is fine no check engine light or anything. Has anyone else experienced this?
So far we’ve replaced the
-spark plugs
-A/T temp sensor
-egr valve
Good vehicle once all the TLC and good advice above is done. One thing I like to mention is inspect that old radiator and metal trans lines. My '04 just got a fresh radiator, hoses, thermostat and trans lines. Check out my surprise when the radiator was exposed to daylight......
7363063C-9942-4DBE-A4F6-DA290BD356D6.jpeg

·
Registered
8,564 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Personally I would not use anything other than the genuine Honda DW-1 when doing the ATF drain and fills. Other ATFs can be used but you'll increase the chances of harsh shifting (lack of appropriate friction modifiers) & insufficient heat dissipation. I know, a lot of older Honda owners disliked the change from Z1 (synth blend) to DW-1 (full synthetic) but the DW-1 still retains the overall inherent properties needed for Honda ATs.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
OK, I'll fire the first salvo.

Full synthetic Valvoline Maxlife ATF is a proven favorite on this forum for the Pilot's finicky transmission. Many confirmations of borderline ones improving after the switchover, and many longtime users reporting smooth sailing and better shifting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK, I'll fire the first salvo.

Full synthetic Valvoline Maxlife ATF is a proven favorite on this forum for the Pilot's finicky transmission. Many confirmations of borderline ones improving after the switchover, and many longtime users reporting smooth sailing and better shifting.

After doing some research on both here and the Odyssey forum this seems to be a fair assessment

I just got this Pilot not too long ago and don't have any trouble with the shifting but was thinking of doing a few D & F's anyway, might have to look into the MaxLife.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Personally I would not use anything other than the genuine Honda DW-1 when doing the ATF drain and fills. Other ATFs can be used but you'll increase the chances of harsh shifting (lack of appropriate friction modifiers) & insufficient heat dissipation. I know, a lot of older Honda owners disliked the change from Z1 (synth blend) to DW-1 (full synthetic) but the DW-1 still retains the overall inherent properties needed for Honda ATs.
Incoming!
Ummm,
DW-1 contains dinosaur oil.

In Honda 5-speed transmissios, Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF has been proven superior for quality shifts and solving the judder that many have experienced using NON-full synthetic DW-1.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Where’s that special jar of black DW-1 that raises awareness to routinely check, d&f and select the best ATF for max trans life. VML has been positively discussed on several Honda forums.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts