Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Starting last week, I have a constant hissing noise on acceleration in my pilot. It doesn't change pitch or volume based on RPM, just the same droning ssssssss noise whenever I have my foot on the gas. If I let off the throttle it stops instantly.
It seems like I have a little less power, definitely slower getting up to speed, and my gas mileage is WAY worse. Seems like it still shifts and handles fine otherwise.
I thought maybe a vacuum leak, but didn't find anything with an exploratory can of starter fluid.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven’t had time to really dig in there yet, but my fuel economy has dropped from consistently about 19 to 13 over the two tanks I’ve gone through since this started 😳🤬

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna keep updating this thread because I sure hate finding a thread fifteen years later with no apparent resolution to the problem. I did the classic thing where I forget to mention some relevant information in the OP, namely that I've had an intermittent P0420 code for a while, and that the seemingly obvious problem is a clogged catalytic converter. It explains everything! So that will be a fun but easy fix. In the meantime, how bad is it to keep driving the vehicle with horrible back pressure until I can fix it? I hate to keep driving it like this knowing the issue, but I'm also about 150 highway miles from home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for updating- I will defer to other more knowledgeable persons. Wish I could help
Hey, no worries! I like "discussion forums" that promote discussion, I don't feel like everyone has to be an expert to weigh in -- I'm certainly not.
But I'm also starting to doubt my own diagnosis (and sanity) here. I removed an O2 sensor ahead of the cat and expected the car to run loudly but better, and it just loud. And I still heard the whirring/hissing noise under it all. So that really makes it unlikely that the noise is back pressure if I opened up a dang hole in the exhaust and still heard it. So back to the figurative drawing board I guess. . . Still gonna gut the cat anyway since it's bad (and might incidentally resolve the issue?), but now I'm not sure what else could be going on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts