Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please see my PS and ATF cooler install

I decided to add a tow package to my 2007 Pilot EX-L, figuring I will need it in a couple of months when I plan to tow a trailer from CA to GA to move for school. I wanted to be cost effective, so I went with the Curt class III hitch (PN 13328) and wiring kit (PN 55336). The installation was straightforward, bolt-off (factory tow hook) and bolt-on.

Installation of Wiring Kit
1. Lift the rear cargo box lid and prop it up using a headrest.
2. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry and lift the tailgate garnish. Start on one end and make your way to the other. It's easier and safer for your clips to pry the rear first, then the front. (SEE PIC 01)
3. Once you remove the garnish, towards the driver side you'll see the factory tow wiring harness. Plug your Curt wiring kit to this 6-pin plug. (SEE PIC 02)
4. You can stash the converter box all the way to the left as there isn't any of the padding there.
5. Next, you'll see a grommet near one of the child seat latches. I cut a hole in the center with a slit from the center to the edge. I fed the trailer side of the wiring harness through the grommet and through the hole in the body. I sealed the grommet with some clear silicone. (SEE PIC 03)
6. Finally I fed the harness through another grommet (same type/size) and hole on the underbody near the spare tire. I did the same thing to this grommet. If you remove the underbody grommet with the body grommet, you will be able to see through to the ground and know where to feed the harness. (SEE PIC 04)
7. Replace your tailgate garnish and route the trailer harness as you please. Place a 20A block fuse in the engine compartment fusebox, it's the empty slot near the front of the box, slightly left of center.

Note: Routing the harness this way is the same exact way the OEM harness instructions tell you to, except you won't have those nice factory replacement grommets, and thus the needed modifications to the grommets.

Installation of hitch (SEE Curt Hitch 13328)
1. Lower the spare tire.
2. If you have tail pipe extensions on your muffler, remove them. The muffler heat shield on the passenger side needs to be pushed in (towards the muffler).
3. Remove the factory tow hook on the driver side.
4. Use some penetrating or lubricating oil to spray the three matching holes on the passenger side and the two mounting holes below/behind the rear bumper cover, then take a 1/2" wire fitter brush to clean the threads of debris and rust.
5a. If you have a buddy, kindly ask them to help you lift the hitch up to the six mounting holes (3 driver side, 3 passenger side), and thread the six M12x1.25 bolts and washers to hand tight.
5b. If you don't have a buddy, some other people used boxes to hold the hitch in place. I didn't feel like bringing out anymore extra stuff, so I lifted the hitch and rested the passenger side of the hitch on the tail pipes. I proceeded to hand tighten the three driver bolts, then did the three passenger side bolts.
6. Take the two M10x1.25 bolts and washers and thread them into the two mounting holes below/behind the rear bumper cover. Torque these bolts to 42 ft-lbs. Some people have complained that there is a gap between the hitch plate and the body mount. This is because they tightened six M12x1.25 bolts too tight. If you leave the other six bolts loose, this allows you to maneuver the hitch and get the hitch plate as close to the mounting holes as possible. What I then did was tightened the bottom of the two bolts first, then the top. No gap.
7. Now, torque the remaining six bolts to 68 ft-lbs.
8. Reinstall the spare tire and tail pipe extensions (if removed).

I have been reading here that a full size spare does not fit at all with this Curt hitch. The full size spare does fit, although it does not sit completely flush with the underbody. Part of the tire sits against the back of the receiver and on the other side sits partially on the subframe. (SEE PIC 05 & PIC 06) This is due to the design of the Curt hitch to 'hide' most of it with only the receiver showing. The OEM hitch bows out towards the back which allows a full size spare to completely sit flush with the underbody. After I installed the full size spare I tried to wiggle it and move it, but it sits pretty firm. Also it doesn't sit too low.

Finished install (SEE PIC 07). And a look a little closer (SEE PIC 08).

I will be installing aftermarket PS and ATF coolers on another date.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you for the information. Nice clean installation. Amazing how clean the underside of a 5 year old vehicle can be, outside of the rustbelt states.

I've been thinking about one for our 2005 Pilot.

I'll be adding a transmission cooler too.

·
Registered
557 Posts
how much u paid for the oem cover?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone found an aftermarket rubber grommet that has a hole for the wires? (similar to the Honda grommet used in their kit) I searched but couldn't find any.

Otherwise I will just cut the stock one and silicon it closed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Added a 4-pole flat mounting bracket connected to a no-drill mounting bracket for a cleaner look.

Both can be purchased from Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924

4-Pole Flat Mounting Bracket ---> Mounting Bracket 4-Pole Flat Tow Ready Accessories and Parts 18144

No-Drill Mounting Bracket ---> No-Drill Mount Bracket, Short Tow Ready Accessories and Parts 18140
I really like that mounting bracket. Were you able to install with the hitch already installed? Or did you install it prior to mounting hitch?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like that mounting bracket. Were you able to install with the hitch already installed? Or did you install it prior to mounting hitch?
It would be easier to install after hitch that way it doesn't get in the way. :29:

I'd like to add to this thread. After a year and 6,000 miles of towing, this Curt hitch = best accessory.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just wanted to chime in. For my 06 EX AWD I got the same exact package as the OP: Curt 13328 class III hitch, 55336 wiring harness, & 58300 4-pole mounting bracket. The hitch fit perfectly--I didn't even have to lower the muffler to install it. As the OP mentioned the stock full-sized spare will not fit flush against the undercarriage after installing the hitch: the spare is now tilted down a little bit at the leading edge but I don't think it's a problem at all as there's no loss of ground clearance. I'm very happy with the product!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did my hitch install over the weekend. The only suggestion I would make is on the passenger side I would make sure you can install the bolts before trying to put the hitch in place. Mine were pretty corroded and even though I lubed and brushed them I could not get the bolts in until running a 12mm 1.25 thread tap in them to clean up the threads. The drivers side wasn't a problem since the tow hook was there previously.

I also picked up this harness mount off Amazon. I will install it this weekend and take some pics if it works out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is this still the best trailer hitch setup and harness support for a 2007 Honda Pilot?

Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" - 13328

Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector - C55336

No-Drill Mount Bracket, Short - 18140

Mounting Bracket 4-Pole Flat - 18144

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am a fairly strong woman but holding that heavy tow bar in the air with one hand and trying to start a bolt threading is a killer. I even used jack stands that proved unstable. I guess I will try a full size jack!! There is no one around who can or will help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wonderful write up. I'll a couple notes on my experience. I installed an OEM hitch and harness I found at the junk yard off a 2003. For me the issue was that my 2005 Pilot is from Ohio. All the exposed holes were pretty rusted. I needed to tap all of them. Irwin Hansen makes the best taps and you buy them individually at a reasonable price from any Ace Hardware (if you didn't know). I tried using a thread chasers purchased on amazon, they don't really work for this task. Also the 2003 harness has a different part number than the 04 to 08 harness, but it worked just fine on my 05. I've got an OEM install for about $110 total including a thread chaser set, two taps, and the trailer ball. Used the setup today to buy a used snap on toolbox to house my new chasers and taps :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for the information. Nice clean installation. Amazing how clean the underside of a 5 year old vehicle can be, outside of the rustbelt states.

I've been thinking about one for our 2005 Pilot.

I'll be adding a transmission cooler too.
Hi Deererainman,
Did you do the install on your 05? Integraman has an 07. Wondering if the same fits an 03 well? I read somewhere here 03 & 05 are same on many parts. 04-08 is different on some

1 - 19 of 19 Posts