Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With just under 2000 miles on the clock I am impressed by the power our 04 Pilot seems to have. Now all things are relative (I also have a 405HP Z06 Vette) but for a 3.5 liter V6 hauling well over 2 tons, this thing is quick. Car & Driver has tested the Pilot twice, once in the June 02 issue and again as a part of a 5 SUV comparison in April 03. By the way, it won the comparison test. Anyway, in the first test that Pilot produced a 0-60 time of 8.1 seconds, not bad. But in the April 03 test they managed a very impressive 7.6 seconds. That kind of number kicks the butt of some very respectable cars and most SUVs. In fact the 7.6 is so good it is suspect. So I did a little testing of my own. I have a small device called a G-Tech. It is a bit smaller than a radar detector and mounts by suction cup to the windshield. This clever little thing can measure 0-60, ¼ mile and braking performance. It uses an acceleration sensor and has proven to be very accurate when used on a level road. So I attach my G-Tech and headed out for my test spot. Conditions are quite good, high pressure, cool 38F temps and no wind. First pass produced a 7.87; second pass fail to read; third pass 7.73; last pass 7.68. The road is very level and straight but I run passes in alternating direction to cancel out most variables. All runs were just in D and let the computer do the shifting. I power braked for the first & second runs, but that seems to put a bit of a pause in the thing as it leaves the line. Probably, the computer doing a torque management thing and pulling back the power bit. Best runs were simple mash the throttle and steer. I’m sure with a few more passes a solid 7.6 is in there. Conclusion: C&D test number of 7.6 is clearly accurate and repeatable.

PS: I have run only premium fuel in our Pilot since we got it. I would bet our engine management computer has adapted to the higher octane and is squeezing every bit of power out of the thing. Over all mileage has been almost 20 mpg with mixed driving.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, that is quick...tell us about that Z06. What kind of times are you getting outta that beast? :12:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Z06_Vette said:
With just under 2000 miles on the clock I am impressed by the power our 04 Pilot seems to have. Now all things are relative (I also have a 405HP Z06 Vette)
Ooooh, I hate you! :2: I was just wondering, did you testdrive other cars as well before settling on a Vette or did you get it because it's a Vette? The Vettes these days look so nice. Has those nice curves and coutours in all the right places, nothing looks out of place or contrived. And umm...what did your gizmo say when you did the 0-60 test with your Vette? ;)

And also, thanks for telling us about your personal testing of the Pilot. I've always wondered about the true 0-60 time of the Pilot since there've been many conflicting stats on it. It was informative.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Z06_Vette: That's very interesting. I always questioned the 0-60 times I've read, but I've never mashed the throttle as you did. I've only gotten the VTEC cams to kick in a couple of times. I'm particularly impressed with the high end response of the throttle in my Pilot. When driving at 25-40 mph, at the slightest touch, the car accelerates nicely without downshifting. I only use regular gas.

I'd be interested to know what the 0-30 and 30-60 times are. (For curiosity's sake; I'm not asking you to try it.) My guess is they are very consistent compared with other SUVs. Most of the others I test drove had more low-end torque than the Pilot. 0-30 seemed very quick, but then they just slugged out.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Z06_Vette: Any chance of you taking your 04 Pilot out to your test spot and seeing how it performs in the ¼ mile??? :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Z06 0-60 can be as good as 4.0 seconds. The limiting factor is available traction. Surface conditions and tempature have to be just right or it spins alot. Way to cold out now. Hot summer blacktop, a just right launch, a redline powershift and 4.1 ~ 4.2 pop right out.

This is my ninth Corvette and second C5. The current generation is by far the best Corvettes ever. Stiff solid structure without any shakes, squeeks or rattles. Fantastic brakes, 1/4 mile mid 12s, top speed 175+ and still gets 28mpg on the highway. It has a trunk with 13+ cu.ft. of space and is very comfortable for long distance cruisin. and like the Pilot it is priced less the competing cars.

kemosabe: The 0-60 test is real safe and EZ in a 55mph speed zone. I need a more isolated and longer straight, level road for the 1/4 test. C&D produced a 15.9 at 86 mph in the better April 03 test. I bet thats pretty much on for a good run.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I wish.....

I could only wish I ever made enough money to ever own a Vette, but this one looks awesome! This info came from HERE. You can look at all their vehicles HERE

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: I wish.....

FLPilot said:
I could only wish I ever made enough money to ever own a Vette, but this one looks awesome!
Wow...beautiful, sexy, gorgeous, stunning...as George Castanza once uttered, "I think it moved" :2:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: I wish.....

FLPilot said:
I could only wish I ever made enough money to ever own a Vette, but this one looks awesome!
IMO, there will never be a better looking Vette than the 1968.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: I wish.....

krygny said:
IMO, there will never be a better looking Vette than the 1968.
IMO, there will never be a better looking fighter jet than the 1988 F-16 Fighting Falcon... :D :p :D :p

P.S. Oh, and the blue '68 Vette looks nice, too...:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Well, if we're going to accessorize a dream car ...

... let's take the thread drift in a worthwhile direction:

Edit: Yes, that's actually a '69 with the Stingray nameplate.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts