Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was replacing front brakes and noticed both side control bushings are torn. Still have extended warranty ao hopefully it would be covered since it is a part of suspension. Any one had experience with this kins of repair? Current car mileage is 42k, no idea how would it go bad on such low mileage driving in city only. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
221 Posts
The control arms will need to be replaced as the bushings are an integral part of the arm. It looks like the rubber has been stressed and it is approaching 5yrs of life on city roads so I wish you luck getting it covered under warranty. Honda will definately try to deny your claim and say that it is normal wear and tear or that you must have hit too many potholes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The control arms will need to be replaced as the bushings are an integral part of the arm. It looks like the rubber has been stressed and it is approaching 5yrs of life on city roads so I wish you luck getting it covered under warranty. Honda will definately try to deny your claim and say that it is normal wear and tear or that you must have hit too many potholes.
Control arm bushing as a wear and tear item failing at 40k miles? Hmmmm, that sounds weird. I guess it'll be battle but we'll see. What would be the cost of the replacement for both? 1500 or so? Is that a job that average DIYer could handle?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Control arm bushing as a wear and tear item failing at 40k miles? Hmmmm, that sounds weird. I guess it'll be battle but we'll see. What would be the cost of the replacement for both? 1500 or so? Is that a job that average DIYer could handle?
DIY if you got the tools safety equipment time and space. But it ain't really that bad to make me diy the repair today if it's not covered.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I looked up the parts and it would cost around $600 for both front lower control arms. It is doable yourself but you will need a ball joint spreader and the usual sockets and wrenches and a big hammer in case things are seized. Probably would cost well over a grand for a shop to do it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked up the parts and it would cost around $600 for both front lower control arms. It is doable yourself but you will need a ball joint spreader and the usual sockets and wrenches and a big hammer in case things are seized. Probably would cost well over a grand for a shop to do it.
Would I need to replace them immediately or potentially could drag it out a bit? I understand that no one knows how fast they'll deteriorate further but still worth asking

·
Registered
221 Posts
Would I need to replace them immediately or potentially could drag it out a bit? I understand that no one knows how fast they'll deteriorate further but still worth asking
I have seen rubber bushings crack like that and some can go for quite a long time before failing completely but if they did, it wouldn't be a good outcome. If it was me, I would see if Honda would cover replacement under warranty and then get a repair cost estimate. If they won't cover it, I would just keep an eye on it and if I see the cracks getting worse over time I would replace them myself.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I will be installing my winter rims in a few weeks and will have a look at the rubber bushings then and report back

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be installing my winter rims in a few weeks and will have a look at the rubber bushings then and report back
Thank you Sir. Btw, you can see the bushings even without taking the wheels off, just point the flashlight and you can see them

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did have a quick look and even if the rubber bushing completely fails, there is no way that the control arm can come off, as the bolt goes right through the opening and into the frame and is supported on both sides. It's going to start making a lot of noise at that point though. It actually looks like Honda put some thought into their fail safe design. Mine do look ok from what I could see but I will have a better look when I jack it up.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
714 Posts
Firstly, I can't imagine that is normal wear and tear. My 2008 is coming up on 200k miles and all original control arms. Maybe the bushings are cracked, but it isn't causing any issues.

Try to get it covered under the warranty and if they deny you, just ignore it. I don't consider this urgent by any means. You could probably DIY it with the right tools, but that's one of those things I'll probably let my mechanic do. I also wouldn't pay for OEM Honda parts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Firstly, I can't imagine that is normal wear and tear. My 2008 is coming up on 200k miles and all original control arms. Maybe the bushings are cracked, but it isn't causing any issues.

Try to get it covered under the warranty and if they deny you, just ignore it. I don't consider this urgent by any means. You could probably DIY it with the right tools, but that's one of those things I'll probably let my mechanic do. I also wouldn't pay for OEM Honda parts.
I agree, that's not normal. I've had suspension parts replaced in the parts on other cars at this mileage but they were driven in a 3 world country with terrible roads, or I should say directions, not roads. Here in spring texas, they are as flat and potholeless as they can possibly be. All I can think of is heat causing quick rubber degradation. And I agree, I don't think I'm in a position to shell out 1500+ for something like this. Will be taking it in next week, spoke with SA advisor today and he told me to bring it in and they'll submit a claim to HONDA to see if they cover it (honda care book says suspension is covered and control arm is not in the list of what's not covered so hoping for the best)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reporting back, fellas. Just picked up the pilot and drove it back 10miles back to the office - all good, drives straight, steering wheel is centered nicely (well done on the alignment). Both lower control arms have been replaced under warranty at 0 charge to me (943$ is the total for the job as it states on the ppwk). If anyone in the Houston area is in a need for a quality car repairs, go to Honda of Tomball and ask for Andre to be your technician - really good guy and very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Reporting back, fellas. Just picked up the pilot and drove it back 10miles back to the office - all good, drives straight, steering wheel is centered nicely (well done on the alignment). Both lower control arms have been replaced under warranty at 0 charge to me (943$ is the total for the job as it states on the ppwk). If anyone in the Houston area is in a need for a quality car repairs, go to Honda of Tomball and ask for Andre to be your technician - really good guy and very knowledgeable.
Really great to hear that everything worked out. The service cost seems really reasonable too and it sounds like you have a great dealership there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really great to hear that everything worked out. The service cost seems really reasonable too and it sounds like you have a great dealership there.
Yes Sir, best experience I've had with the dealerships so far

1 - 20 of 20 Posts