Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,503 Posts
You have the vin, what does the Honda owners site show for service, what does car fax say? Those are a couple of places to check first. Have you got a trusted mechanic that can look it over? When buying used or new for thr matter requires due diligence.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far diligence and carfax indicate info presented by owner is accurate and car is in condition as described. I’m interested in others’ experience with this vintage, any red flags?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Biggest issue with a 15 year old vehicle is under body rust. Most items can be fixed, a rusting unibody frame if damaged is a non fixer. Best bet, go look at it and have a mechanic give it a good inspection.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Radiator's been changed on this 2005, which is one good thing.

One way to see if owner has really maintained it well is to look at the tires. If they are a good albeit more expensive brand, regardless of wear, rather than cheap, low end tires, that's a hint the owner took care of the vehicle as a whole.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Biggest issue with a 15 year old vehicle is under body rust. Most items can be fixed, a rusting unibody frame if damaged is a non fixer. Best bet, go look at it and have a mechanic give it a good inspection.
+1

Especially the rear subframe. A rusted inner rear bumper can be fixed or replaced if it comes to that. So can the subframe mount but that's another kettle of fish, of which you probably do not want to partake.

04 pilot Rusted Rear Subframe Mount - with Pics

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! I’m definitely taking it to a mechanic, but since I’m not from the area there’s no one nearby I know & trust. So I will be sourcing a mechanic based on Yelp reviews & hoping they do a good job. Just trying to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before beginning this process!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Look here. They didn’t pay to get on this list, they were recommended by people that needed good mechanics.

·
Registered
240 Posts
All good advice, especially regarding rust underneath. Read the thread that was posted so that you know what that looks like, and check for it first thing. Walk away from rust.

Even a car as clean as this one will have stuff that's wearing out. If you want it to be solid and trouble-free for 5 years, give or take, you'll probably spend another $2,000 - 3,000 in the near future on repairs and replacement.

If you just need basic, reliable wheels for a few years at lowest cost, you'll probably spend half that on essentials.

I personally think its over-priced for a rust-belt car, but if its been garaged and is clean underneath, it could be a good deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need to make sure you get it checked by a mechanic who knows Pilots. Dry leaking rear engine seals and worn out rubber hoses and belts are common at this age. Remember that rubber ages with time as well as with miles. I was able to fix my rear seal leak with a bottle of Blue Devil Rear Seal fix.

Also, most people never ever change the rear differential fluid in their cars ever (most don't even know what differentials are) and our Pilot's need that done every 15,000 miles with special Honda VTM-4 differential fluid. Takes about a gallon and is easier than an oil change. If you hear a squeal coming from the rear while driving under a load and it disappears when you let up off the gas. Some one stupid has learn the hard way and is dumping the SUV to avoid the cost of a rear differential replacement.

Hope this helps
Gill

·
Registered
4,189 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
You need to make sure you get it checked by a mechanic who knows Pilots. Dry leaking rear engine seals and worn out rubber hoses and belts are common at this age. Remember that rubber ages with time as well as with miles. I was able to fix my rear seal leak with a bottle of Blue Devil Rear Seal fix.

Also, most people never ever change the rear differential fluid in their cars ever (most don't even know what differentials are) and our Pilot's need that done every 15,000 miles with special Honda VTM-4 differential fluid. Takes about a gallon and is easier than an oil change. If you hear a squeal coming from the rear while driving under a load and it disappears when you let up off the gas. Some one stupid has learn the hard way and is dumping the SUV to avoid the cost of a rear differential replacement.

Hope this helps
Gill
What year of pilot(s)? The RDF is changed after the first 15k as it is break in fluid, then it’s every 60k if memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
What year of pilot(s)? The RDF is changed after the first 15k as it is break in fluid, then it’s every 60k if memory serves me correctly.
Then it's every 30k miles, at least pre-Maintenance Minder.

VTM-4 fluid change

But yeah, the main point is many owners don't do it or forget after a while.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Could be a good purchase as long as several important maintenance items are addressed (some already mentioned) to keep that Pilot rolling for the next 100-200k miles.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Radiator's been changed on this 2005, which is one good thing.

One way to see if owner has really maintained it well is to look at the tires. If they are a good albeit more expensive brand, regardless of wear, rather than cheap, low end tires, that's a hint the owner took care of the vehicle as a whole.
Umm, unless your like me and like to buy great tires at half the price and just replace them every 2 years.
Did I change the oil or just clear the MM?
Want to buy my 2017 Pilot? 😈

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
They posted the VIN # so that's a good sign of honesty. You can get a car fax to see if it's been in an accident etc. Here is a link to Vehicle History. It's free, just not as detailed.

VIN# 2HKYF18565H572210

Looks to be accident free and no auction history.
Just be mindful of Craigslist scams. Make sure the title is free and clear and the person selling the car is who's name is on the title. Do not give a deposit. Transaction at a very public place with cameras (bank parking lot, police station etc). At the DMV is another good spot. They can check the title and tell you what additional taxes and fees you will have to pay.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,519 Posts
Verify that the timing belt service (which normally includes the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, serpentine belt, and coolant [radiator was replaced so at least a portion of the coolant was changed at that time) was performed. Honda states 7 years / 105k miles; whichever comes first, so it’s well past due if that timing belt is original.

Additionally I would inquire the reason why the radiator was changed. 2005 is notorious for radiator failing internally, which causes tranny fluid to mix with coolant (not good; look up pink milkshake). Is this one of the reasons the tranny fluid was recently flushed (by the way Honda specifically states to not flush the transmission; 3x drain and fill per the manual).

Welcome to the forum and good luck finding a solid vehicle. Kudos for doing your homework before making the purchase.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Actually, that's right. If radiator was changed preemptively, that's a good thing. If it was changed post- Strawberry Milkshake of Death, it's not.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The 2005 in OP is wayyy over priced. IMO

1 - 20 of 50 Posts