Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

×2017 pilot tires worn at 33k

7K views 59 replies 16 participants last post by  2017EX-L 
#1 ·
We bought our Pilot touring AWD in Dec '17. 33k miles later the Continental tires are needing replacement. Does the AWD cause this or are the stock Continental tires crap? Any recommendations for a better longer lasting tire would be much appreciated!

#3 ·
We bought our Pilot touring AWD in Dec '17. 33k miles later the Continental tires are needing replacement.
Any recommendations for a better longer lasting tire would be much appreciated!
The OEM Continental tires have a rather low UTQG treadwear rating of 480.

If treadlife is a paramount concern, then consider the Goodyear Assurance MaxLife, which has a UTQG treadwear rating of 820 and a treadlife warranty for 85,000 miles.
Assurance® MaxLife™ Tires | Goodyear Tires

#4 ·
Really depends on your driving style and are your in city streets a lot or mostly highway. You like a cushy tire or a performance tire to rip up the highways? You want to save a few bucks or money is no issue?

#9 ·
JeriPilot- as we covered in the multiple other threads on same topic if you search. What works for our needs might not be anywhere close to what you need.

Are there any other issues you are looking to improve or change? Your profile doesn't say where you live. Do you need better traction for snow/winter/ice/torrential rain? Do you take it on muddy trails for fun or to go fishing/hunting? Do you take it to the beach? Do you tow anything? Looking for quieter ride? How fast do you like to drive? Mostly highway or around town? I have friends that drive Uber/Lyft and they rack up 30k per year or more and barely leave a 20 mile radius or go over 50 mph.

IMO, and watching the Torque meter, AWD probably helps with life as the Pilot uses all four wheels when you start unlike a front wheel drive. It also does need more attention to consistent rotations so the wheels spin at same speeds otherwise you may add extra wear to the other driveline parts.

Nail Grease likes performance versions that he can get a great value cost/life for. I replaced with larger size, my aftermarket skid plate has some nice character stripes from rocks on the trails/beach and wife wants lift kit in it. I run separate winter tires and rims from November>April because of what I prefer.

Nail grease on the PSI- I started the day at 34psi with trailer loaded up. In the sun on the roads with load I was up to 41psi an hour later on all 4 when I checked.

#10 ·
JeriPilot- as we covered in the multiple other threads on same topic if you search. What works for our needs might not be anywhere close to what you need.

Are there any other issues you are looking to improve or change? Your profile doesn't say where you live. Do you need better traction for snow/winter/ice/torrential rain? Do you take it on muddy trails for fun or to go fishing/hunting? Do you take it to the beach? Do you tow anything? Looking for quieter ride? How fast do you like to drive? Mostly highway or around town? I have friends that drive Uber/Lyft and they rack up 30k per year or more and barely leave a 20 mile radius or go over 50 mph.

IMO, and watching the Torque meter, AWD probably helps with life as the Pilot uses all four wheels when you start unlike a front wheel drive. It also does need more attention to consistent rotations so the wheels spin at same speeds otherwise you may add extra wear to the other driveline parts.

Nail Grease likes performance versions that he can get a great value cost/life for. I replaced with larger size, my aftermarket skid plate has some nice character stripes from rocks on the trails/beach and wife wants lift kit in it. I run separate winter tires and rims from November>April because of what I prefer.

Nail grease on the PSI- I started the day at 34psi with trailer loaded up. In the sun on the roads with load I was up to 41psi an hour later on all 4 when I checked.
Yes, on a warm day 42psi hot is very comfortable on High Performance tires. Especially loaded. We're always hauling something

#18 ·
Honestly I make it a point to not follow the recommendations of someone I don't know when it comes to putting tires on my car. Everyone has a different opinion. Brand loyalty, budget, driving style, etc. I don't get winter weather very often and I do a lot of driving in the city. Why would I listen to your recommendations when you live in NY out in the country? (Just using this as an example)

Given that my cars are cheap to maintain in every way--nothing has broken, all routine maintenance. I don't really desire to save tons of money or find the best value when it comes to tires. I want quiet and smooth. It's an SUV not a sports car. I went cheap this time around and have been heavily disappointed...won't be doing that again. I've spent hours trying to find the best value or deal, but I've discovered it's often not worth it.

#20 ·
I don't really desire to save tons of money
What?

It's an SUV not a sports car.
I think most SUV drivers would like to be firmly planted on the road when driving 75mph on the interstate. Especially when cornering. There is an advantage to being on High Performance tires when high speeds are allowed. You don't need to own a sports car to drive the speed limit.

I went cheap this time around and have been heavily disappointed...
What did you buy?
I've spent hours trying to find the best value or deal, but I've discovered it's often not worth it.
I don't particularly like spending hours looking for the best deal on tires either. I do enjoy talking about a good deal. All green marks on Tire Rack and more green stays in your pocket. What's not to like?

Reactions: aggrex
#47 ·
I asked myself the same question. We bought our 2017 Touring AWD in December of 2018 with the same Continental Crap tires. At 32K miles of mixed highway/suburban driving
with no snow storms, we had to replace them in September of 2020! My prior 2010 Oddyssey went for 65K miles before having to replace them. And now at 34K miles I need front and rear brakes. I am very disappointed with Honda and feel there quality is slipping. They used to rank very high when rated by Consumer Reports. I dont know if I will puchase my next car from Honda.

#52 ·
And now at 34K miles I need front and rear brakes. I am very disappointed with Honda and feel there quality is slipping. They used to rank very high when rated by Consumer Reports. I dont know if I will puchase my next car from Honda.
Getting 34k miles for the brakes ain’t too bad as brake usage depends on many factors such as the stop&go commutes, aggressive driver or poor driving habits and various electronic safety functions.

#53 ·
I have 79K on the original Continentals. Please note that I do all highway driving. I’m also on the original brakes!! I bought the car brand new as a leftover in June ‘18. New tires in ‘21 will be Michelin Climate ones.
‘17 Touring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#55 ·
Wow! I'm sure they are. These appear to be a very well made tire. The tread design is very eye catching too.
Do you mind if I ask what you paid for these after mount and balance, total?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.