Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Shift Cable Change Shaft Pin Removal??

48K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  alexiscantrell030 
#1 · (Edited)
I am currently replacing Shift Cable wire control part number 54315-S9V-A81 on my 2005 Pilot since it has become very hard to shift gears. On inspection it appears that the shift cable has become rusted where it connects to the transmission. I will be ordering a new shift cable to replace the current one but am having great difficulty removing the "Change Shaft" pin part number 24451-PGN-000. It appears from the diagrams that it should just pull or twist out but I am unable to do either. :confused: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Weird thing is I cant really even see what keeps the pin there in the first place and the manual doenst mention anything dificult about removing the pin. No rust on this part at all as it appears the actuall pin is stainless and the hole it goes into is aluminum. Must just be tapped in there and held by friction. I will try and take some pictures tonight and post to hopefully give you a better idea of what I am dealing with.

I tried to put a wrench on the pin and twist it out but have had no luck even gettign it to spin. Drilling it out really doesnt seem like an option either as its a pretty good sized pin angled in a way thats not going to make that possible. I am thinking about maybe cutting some slits in the pin with a dremmel or something to give the wrench somethign better to grip since currently it just slips on the smooth metal. Doesnt look like it should be difficult to remove the pin and based on the manual doesnt go into any details you would think so. Just seems odd that its just a round pin. Would have helped if they would have put a square end on it to allow a wrench to attach and twist the pin.

#4 ·
I doubt that pin is stainless. My guess is that it is corroded just like your cable was and is essentially stuck in there. Try spraying it with WD-40 or similar penetrant to break up the corrosion. May need to do this over several days to let the penetrant wick into the crevices and break up some of the corrosion. Then, try to tap our from the other side. Or, use Vice Grips to twist it out.

#5 ·
I will continue to spray it with penetrating oil and hopefully it will loosen up. The pin itself look to be in perfect condition with no corrosion from what I can see. Unfortunatly the pin just taps into the side of the aluminum transmission housing so I am not able to tap it out from the other side. Reason I said it looked like stainless was because it was incredibly hard when I clamped a wrench down on it and the wrench hardly left a mark on the pin when cranking on it. Sees that this should be much easier to get out than I am seeing or Honda would have put some sort of way to get a grip on the pin to pull it out.

#6 ·
It could be hardened steel and not stainless. It can be corroded where it meets the aluminum casing and not corroded on the exposed surfaces. Could be electrolysis becasue of the dissimilar metals.

#8 ·
I have attached pictures of the pin I am trying to remove to my initial post and hopefully someone has ideas. I was successful in getting the pin to turn after filling down two sides of the pin and turning it with a wrench. Problem I am now running into is I cna spin the pin (even though it is really tight) but cannot get the pin to come out. It just spins very hard in place but does not come out at all? Suggestions based on my newly uploaded pictures anyone? :)

Thanks Much!!!

#10 ·
That would be incredibly helpful! Do you remember anything regarding what the title may be so I could possibly search? I am running out of ideas for how to get this pin out! It has stumped me and my pilot is no longer usable and sitting in the driveway jacked up waiting to be fixed. :) How do you suppose a Honda technician was supposed to go about removing this pin when it is completly round and smooth?? haha

#11 ·
This is what I did to try and get the bolt out. But sadly it still did not work. As you can see I filed two sides flat to I could spin the bolt but still it didnt come out. Then I drilled a hole through to and pound it out but still does not come (Maybe because I dont have a very good angle or enough space to work with). Suggestions? Anyone run into this before?

Attachments

#12 ·
Have you tried moving the arm that rides on that shaft into a different position? Perhaps the part of that shaft that we cannot see is indexed somehow and only can be removed if the arm that rides on it is in one position?

#13 ·
That is an idea. I will give it a try tonight and try pulling the pin when the lever arm shart around the pin is in different positions to see if that works. The lever arm moves with ease so wouldnt think there would be anything binding.

I am trying to get creative to remove this pin and am thinking about cutting little slits in the pin and prying the pin out against the bracket that holds it an 8th inch at a time.

Anyone else have creative ideas to just get the pin out? At this point I just want the pin out and will purchase a new one if I end up trashing the current one?

Thanks much in advance for your ideas! :)

#14 ·
Is there perhaps a very small set screw that is threaded into that arm that then goes into the pin or maybe puts pressure on the side of the pin to hold in place and prevent it from wiggling loose? Or maybe a cotter pin or some other retaining system that prevents the pin from just backing out on its own? Are you sure there is nothing holding it in place?

#15 ·
Another thought, is there a C-Clip anywhere on that pin that needs to be removed to allow it to slide out? Kind of like an old Chevy axle shaft that uses a C-Clip to prevent it from backing out of the axle housing.

#17 · (Edited)
Forrestpassineau,
Going through the same thing right now on my Wifes 2004 Pilot.

It was getting hard to shift into gear and getting progessively worse over the last couple of months.
Finally I brought it in for the recall of the interlock switch and directly after that the vehicle would roll out of gear and I had to use a spare key on top of the column to release the interlock.
The dealershipship wanted $335.00 to replace the cable so I took it upon myself to take a look.
The actual cable was not the problem, but rather the linkage binding at the trans end at the pivot point,but alas...it was too late as the cable finally bound and kinked :(

Regarding the Change Shaft pin-
I took a pair of my trusty vice grips and after spinning the pin several times with some PB Blaster penetrant and applying some force outward the pin popped out.

Hopefully yours will do the same as jugding by you pictures there is little to no corrosion present.

Jeff

#19 ·
I ran into the same exact thing with the pin on my 2004 Pilot. Just had to keep hitting it with PB Penetrant and working and working it. Finally hooked it with vice grips and made a McGyver-ish remedy with a crow bar to get more leverage. It finally popped out. Also, I will only use genuine Honda parts. Found a GREAT website where they ship only OEM parts at a deep discount. Called hondapartsunlimited.com I get exactly what I ordered in a timely fashion with no headaches. They will even send text messages as to status of the order. You should check them out if you want real Honda parts at a discounted price.

#21 ·
Same problem

I know this is an old post but I'm hoping someone will see this and respond to it.

I'm having the same problem as the OP, the pin just won't come out. It seems that some of you were lucky enough to get it out. Did you ever figure out how it's held in place? Did you have to replace the pin with a new one?

Thank you in advance.

#25 · (Edited)
Old thread, but maybe the FSM instruction shed any light about the pin....not sure I understand what is that pin and why it matters for replacing the shift cable??

Attachments

#26 ·
I'm reviving this old thread hoping someone has a suggestion on how to remove this stuck pin. Seems like lots of people asked about it here in the past decade but no one is offering any useful advice other than to be lucky and have it pop right out. I've spent the better part of today fighting with this stuck pin and it's just not coming out or even rotating a tiny bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.