Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Trailer hitch install - anyone do it themselves?

49K views 88 replies 38 participants last post by  wasidremin 
#1 ·
I saw the installation instructions and it looks fairly straight forward. Has anyone done this install themselves, how long did it take, was it hard and did you require another person for assistance?

Thanks
Tom

#2 ·
Yes. It's not hard when the vehicle is new and there is no corrosion of the weld nuts in the frame. Maybe half an hour with help. More without help.

Having another pair of hands is helpful when you are first getting it started, but you could probably fake it with a jack or support. It probably doesn't weigh more than 30-40 pounds or so, but it is a bit unwieldy.

Take your time and get all the bolts started by hand before you grab the wrench. You don't want to cross-thread the bolts. To get the appropriate torque, you should probably have a torque wrench or breaker bar. You don't want those bolts coming loose.

The 2016 trailer wiring harness is another matter. Unless you're willing to pull off the entire driver's side rear trim panel, it's pretty frustrating to get the various parts placed and find their attachment points. I was on a tight schedule for a trip so I did it, but I wouldn't do it again.

See the "Towing" sub-forum for more info.

#4 ·
I'm with you on towing the bike rack, but if you're getting the hitch installed, you may as well have the option to tow stuff... Requires the harness...

I just ordered a 16 Elite, and it is two weeks out. I also just ordered a bunch of accessories online. My deal on the veh included accessories at their cost, lol. But ordering online was about $350 cheaper, and my dealership will still install them at their shop rate.

I Ordered the hitch, harness. All weather mats, wheel locks and splash guards, crossbars, and the kayak attachment.. I'll install all but the hitch harness... Leaving that to the experts. It'll cost me around $150 according to my buddy who works at our Honda service center.

On a side note, the kayak attachment is actually a Thule 883, and sells on Amazon for $220 (cheapest I could find). Honda dealerships online had it as low as $140. Ha, no brainer.

Reactions: Rafflesian
#9 ·
Yikes, I JUST emailed the retailer (as I noticed my part number on my invoice lists the older one). I hope they can make this right, and don't simply try to offer a refund for the part... Then I'll have to try to find it elsewhere (and pay shipping at a separate retailer).

#8 ·
I installed mine and it was pretty easy even on my own. I used jack stands to support and raise the hitch until it got to the right height so I could hand thread the bolts. You do have to lower and remove the spare tire first which was easy as well.

I haven't installed the harness because one I don't plan to tow anything yet...still saving for the boat...and there's a recall going on I guess.

Go for it and good luck.

#11 · (Edited)
Any details on the defect?

Someone on this forum said that their running and clearance lights were affected. I believe a dealer installed the old part # and it blew a fuse. What the whole story is I don't know but there is a new #ered part for the harness. I had the dealer install my hitch and harness w/the new 101 wiring and it is good so far. I also ordered the trans cooler but the part didn't arrive yet.

#12 ·
I got my hitch receiver for free installed because I questioned why the pilot I was buying didn't have it.

But anyways. Curts has a hitch receiver for the 2016 pilot for cheap. $165 on ebay . I think I saw it on etrailers. Com for the same price.. http://www.piloteers.org/forums/13-...y-accessories-2016-pilot-list.html#post862698

On the install. I did it myself on the previous vehicle I had. Pretty easy. It helps to have someone to help you hold it in place, it makes it easier to put the screws in place.

#17 ·
Is labor for "warranty" replacement of recalled accessory covered? The accessories themselves have a 1 year warranty against defects, but labor isn't usually covered unless it was installed by a dealer. Not sure what happens with a recall/campaign as opposed to a simple failure. Guess I'll find out. It would be a shame to have the vehicle burst into flame because of a bad wiring harness.

#18 ·
"So these 3rd party hitches, do they come with their own trailer hitch cover? Would consider them especially if I can save another $100 vs the oem."

A picture is worth...

OEM hitch comes with a replacement lower bumper shroud, so the hitch receiver and 7-way receptacle are nicely integrated with the bumper. Aftermarket hitches will drop down below the stock bumper shroud, so the hitch receiver and drawbar will be several inches lower.

Aftermarket hitches may not be compatible with full-size spare or spare may ride lower on aftermarket hitch, which may impact ground clearance and departure angle.

Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car Auto part

Vehicle Car Auto part Wheel Automotive exterior

#20 ·
Great input - thanks. Does anyone know if the hitch will allow the use of a full size spare tire (rather than the donut spare that they come with)? Prepping for a drive to Alaska and don't feel I can depend on the donut spare on those roads until a flat can be fixed or replaced.
Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.
Jim

#22 · (Edited)
I've been curious about this too, so rather than assume...

I don't have the exact full-size spare for 2016 Pilot, but I mounted up a similar size wheel/tire to check clearance with the OEM hitch receiver. 235/65R17 first-gen MDX wheel/tire has at least 1" clearance all around and OEM spec tires for 2016 Pilot ( 245/60R18 or 245/50R20 ) are about 0.5 inch larger overall diameter. The tightest approach is for/aft but there should be over an inch to spare with the OEM spec tires. The wheel is completely recessed and won't impact ground clearance.

Note that I can't actually use this wheel as a spare on the 2016 Pilot because the lug bolt spacing is wrong. 5x114.3mm vs 5x120mm.

Donut has lots of room:

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Synthetic rubber

Still plenty of room for ( slightly undersize ) full-size tire:

Tool Cutting tool

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Rim Wheel

#28 ·
Anything on the cross-beam behind the bumper?

Old gens had 4 vertical bolts per side on the "frame", two vertical into the cross-beam and two horizontal into the cross-beam. The cross-beam bolts were all in the receiver area.

Aftermarket had 3 verticals per side and two horizontal by receiver.

Peace,

Greg

#29 ·
Yes, there are a couple of attachment points there, and a couple of small bolts secure the lower portion of the plastic bumper cover/ hitch cover there. They are relatively thin welded metal A-frames coming down from the bumper. No where near as beefy as the frame rail attachment sites but I guess they could be used for an aftermarket hitch that drops below the bumper cover. This would compromise the energy absorbing function of the bumper somewhat. Not that the same couldn't be said of any of these hitch receivers.

#32 ·
Thanks, any mention of using a weight distributing hitch system in the owners manual?

In the past Honda/Acura would not approve of a WDH. However, the rear section was so over engineered that many, including me, use them with good results.

Peace,

Greg

You can download owners manuals for any year Pilot just by googling.

On WDH, proper reading of the manual Honda only discouraged use of an improperly adjusted WDH.

G
#33 ·
My interest is not in weight or wiring, I want to add my hitch mounted Bike Rack.

I bought the Curt, 15 minute install, didn't drop the spare, protrudes out below the bumper, looks great, perfect for my needs. Amazon $143.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.