Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

ATF temp sensor - easiest install possible

20K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  RinconVTR 
#1 · (Edited)
This was the first install on Gen2's that I saw, using the Maxtow gauge.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/13-...tallation-maxtow-transmission-temp-gauge.html

Having powersports as my #1 hobby, I came across the Koso battery operated temperature sensor, designed for 2 strokes sleds and bikes that don't have 12v power. MEANING...there are NO wire connections required. Not only that, but its digital and small!

I paid $66 plus the brass T and nipples, total cost was $75.

Full name to search by: Koso North America Mini Thermometer BA003035

There are 4 basic steps, #1 takes 45 minutes, the remaining take 15 at most.

1. Install the sensor in the ATF out line from the transmission. (The location shown was easily accessed when the lower plastic shroud is removed.)

EDIT: SEE POSTS BELOW FOR PROPER PLACMENT OF SENSOR AFTER THE ATF COOLER!!!

2. Run the wire thru the big grommet near the brake booster
3. Mount the gauge with adhesive Velcro
4. Snap together 2 wire connections...the sensor & gauge. Done.

Tip - If I were to do this all over again, I would have bought a foot of new 3/8" ID pressure/ATF hose and completely removed the section I was splicing into and replaced it with the new stuff with sensor installed. It would have greatly helped getting the T installed quicker and easier.

Sensor wires are yellow and white at the grommet, the they go back into the black jacket of the cable.

See less See more
#3 ·
Very cool.

I might do this since I do tow a trailer and would like to know if the trans temp is within range.
This is why I installed it also. I am towing more this year than any other year looking ahead, and with one 2 week trip covering many miles over the most hilly terrain we have in Wisconsin. That being the western lower half and then up and down the Mississippi river, hitting parts of the "Great River Road".

If ATF temps prove to be manageable, it proves I'm not asking to much of the Pilot. We will plan to take a trip to the Rockies and/or Smokies with our 23' RV, and see how that goes.

But if temps are well over 200 for long periods, I will not ask any more of the Pilot, and either not take the RV national or shop for a new tow vehicle!

Basically, this little gauge will help determine our towing vehicle future!

#4 ·
Awesome install. 23' seems really big for a Pilot to tow. I was thinking about a little 13' travel trailer but was too scared to ask that my Pilot pull it. I don't want to blow out the tranny and the diff on my daily driver.

#5 ·
Awesome install. 23' seems really big for a Pilot to tow. I was thinking about a little 13' travel trailer but was too scared to ask that my Pilot pull it. I don't want to blow out the tranny and the diff on my daily driver.

Why do you feel the Pilot is so weak and will break if you tow anything? There are no reports of Pilots breaking down when towing, and this is the place you'd hear about it.

Visit other forums of big truck guys who tow and read about all the problems they have. There are plenty, even though most dont like to talk about problems with their trucks as they consider some problems as "normal" in some cases.

And truck upgrades for towing are also very common, so it shouldnt be a surprise that small mods can also improve the Pilots towing performance.

#6 ·
Worried about the tranny since it is a known weakness, as well as my radiator since this is a known failure point. Diff also seems like a weak design.

#8 · (Edited)
Had a full week to accumulate data. City, Highway, Interstate, stop'g go, and the hardest towing I've done to date with the Pilot.

Average range ATF for all the above has been 150-190.

Hours of 70-75mph constant speed travel 50-60 air temp, ATF temps were just 95-105, killing the idea that over cooling ATF might lead to TC lockup issues or other.

Towing our travel trailer home was interesting this time. We had 30 minutes of a storm burst, with head and crosswinds that were making flags looks like flats of cardboard. In hindsight, I should have pulled off to eat and let it "blow over". Instead, I pressed and didnt let up on gas, holding 66-70mph over the rolling terrian of Hwy 41, south of Oshkosh, WI. M ATF temps spiked at 226 during this period with air temps of only 55, and stayed there for a solid 10 minutes. I opted not to reduce speed to see if the ATF temp would continue to climb. It did not. ATF temps began to lower, and held around 200 and then as things calmed down, the temps went back to normal. One interesting note, water temp never budged. It held 177 the entire trip. But MPG average for the "short" 180 mile trip reflected how hard the Pilot was working...8.7mpg, the worst ever.

Clearly, the engine isnt being over worked, but trans temps could be controlled better. Warmer air temps may in fact bring higher ATF spikes, which has me thinking of adding larger ATF cooler. But from what I read, this is common for large trucks too. The temp exiting the trans is at its hottest for a very short period of time before its cooled down.

#9 ·
Rincon thanks for sharing this information!

One question: are you sure that the " Mini Thermometer" is accurate?
The 177 temp dose not concern me, but 220 to 226 is getting 50 degrees above normal temp dose. I am sure as summer heat comes and pulling a trailer I think it may be harder to keep the trans temp under 180.

I also think adding or replacing the trans cooler with a larger more efficient cooler is a good addition.

I also wonder what the readings would be if you installed the sensor on the "in line" to the trans?

Thanks Again

#10 ·
The 177 degree comment was about the water/engine coolant temp. No matter how hard the engine was working and reving, the engine temp remained "low" and solid!

To the other points, you're getting into the nitty gritty of oil temp monitoring!

I know the gauge is 99% accurate because it matchs the in car air temp on cold start up and I also tested it with boiling water prior to the install, side by side with a digital cooking thermometer. It was right on.

The biggest factor is that I have the sensor on the outlet of the trans, which is reading the oil at its peak temp before being cooled seconds later. And 226 is getting up there, for sure. But what really matters is how long the oil is at that temp. If its carrying heat away for a matter of seconds before its cooled, I'm not convinced I need to worry.

IMO, the best indicator is oil sump temps, not the outlet or inlet temps. But in this case, I agree with you, it would be interesting to have a gauge at the outlet AND inlet after the ATF is cooled, just to see how effective the coolers are! The two lines run side by side.

To another point...250 has been commonly found by others at the outlet port of other honda and toyota tranny's, such as the Ody and Tundra. (there are likely more, but those are what I know for sure) And those guys who were/are monitoring ATF temps, are still running strong as far as I know.

But for the low cost of a larger ATF cooler........................hmm.

#15 ·
I am sorry but again who cares about the cooled temp. When the fluid breaks down under high heat, why would you care about cooled temp. You need to monitor the heat at the source. Lets say your cooled temp is around 180F but temps in the pan is 240F. The cooled temp doesn't mean anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.