Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

What's the most you've towed with your pilot?

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Pinecone 
#1 ·
So like the title says, what's the most you guys/gals have ever hooked up to and towed with your pilot?
It would also be nice to know what it is you towed, how far you towed it, and how the pilot handled the load.
Please also include what year your pilot is that you did the towing with. Thanks for any input you all have!

#2 ·
We towed our TV-18 Basstracker back from the mechanic. It wasn't untill I had to stop at the base of a hill and continue on, that we found out just how "unhappy" our 04 EXL was with our decision! With 308,000 miles on the old girl, it's towing days are over! My 2010 Tundra has those duties from now on.

#4 ·
Towed a 16' Airstream Bambi (2,800 lbs empty/3,500 maximum weight) on several 2,000+ mile round trips from Ohio to Florida. Tows very well over all kinds of terrain.

#5 ·
With my 2006, I've been towing a 1000-lb utility trailer with up to a 1500-lb load for thousands of miles on trips up to 1.5K miles long. The car always handles it Okay, but it never seems entirely comfortable with it, especially with the heavier loads - low-end torque is anemic, springs are way too soft, and the transmissions hunts unless the road is dead flat or you put up with very high-revving D3. But with 110K miles, no major mechanical issues.

- Mark

#8 ·
Added the Timbren HROD2 rear suspension enhancement and been very pleased. Bought and towed a 4290-pound (UVW) travel trailer Saturday with WDH and again was well pleased. All handled well on interstate around heavy truck traffic, and handled steep hills maintaining 50mph. Loading this trailer and towing a short distance for a long weekend Thursday;

2014 EX-L

#9 · (Edited)
We tow a Coachmen Apex Nano 185bh travel trailer with our 2007 Pilot. Approximately 2900lbs dry, 3300 - 3500 lbs loaded. So we're at the limits. We have the tow package, added Prodigy p2 brake controller, Fastway e2 weight distribution hitch with trunion bars, replaced the donut spare with a full size spare. We never tow with a full water tank (we add a few gallons just for potty stops while on the road) and pack pretty light. We took several trips over the summer, but the longest tow was 10 days and 1800 miles from Portland, OR to St. Mary, MT. Did a great job. Towed in D3, slow and steady up mountain passes, but cruise at 60-ish on the highways. Yea, we dealt with the higher revs of D3 as it's better then the transmission hunting in D. We were cruising at around 3k rpms at 60mph. Up mountain passes, I kept the speed down to about 45 - 50 and 3500-4500rpms. At first I tried to keep up with traffic going up hills, that was a bad idea, so you just have to be zen with being the slow guy, use turnouts when needed. We never hit a ton of traffic in MT, so it wasn't really a big deal. I mean sure I'd like more power and a longer wheelbase, but overall I was quite happy with how it handled and felt very safe. The funny part was that I got an oil change done at the beginning of the summer before our trips, about half way through the summer (on the way back from MT, maybe 6 weeks later) the maintenance minder was telling me I needed another one. I guess the Pilot really does know when it's working hard!

Attachments

#10 ·
Looks good, too. Plus, isn't that the AVS Bugflector II you've got on there? IMHO, no first gen Pilot should be without one in the looks department. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.